What Can Be by Mary Calmes

What Can Be

by Mary Calmes

BMB Reviews - February Author of the Month

Mary Calmes Jizzmas Sugar to be exact?

3.5 stars - O.M.G. I thought this day would never come. Mary Calmes is our AOTM for February!

*flutters her wings like Tinkerbell*

I get like this when I see a new Mary Calmes book:

Happy with precious, don't want to part kinda feels.

I am currently riding a MC sugar filled rush, so I'll just blurt out my feels on this story which was good but not a MC slammer. Because Jizzmas. It wasn't super saturated with Santa cum but man...was it present.

Overall, it's a Calmes - I know what I'm going to get. And I got it: a possessive top, a sweet, bottom that everyone loves, adores, cherishes and wants to put in their pockets forever (and ever) and "mine" and domestic inner goddess and kisses and a modern day fairy tale-esque feel.

Jake is a runner. He was born to a runner. And he repeats the pattern by running. He's 28 now and he left his boyfriend and life because...well I'm not exactly sure why...but he ran back to his hometown and was seen by his long lost brother in a gas station. Jake ran away from home with his mother when he was fifteen. He hid from his family and kept a dark secret. Jake's all 'I have this big secret - don't talk to me or look too hard 'cause I'm running, bitch' type of attitude. So everyone kind of coddled him.

In the beginning of this prodigal son tale, I was a little meh. Because not only is Jake/Eli super loved by everyone, he kept being compared to his mother, a lot. Like he looked like this glorious and beautiful dead woman all the time.

All. The. Time. It was weird.

Then we get crumbs to this mystery of 13 years that Jake (real name Eli) has kept hidden. Then the story got a little dark. Not too much but enough for me to pay attention. Might've also been because they finally stopped comparing Jake/Eli to his mother.

Anyway, Jake's boyfriend the super rich, sorta alpha business owner Craig Zhao isn't here to listen to that crap. He wants his man home with him. Craig's all 'kill the noise Jake. You know your kisses are potent. Gimme your sweet behind.'

And that's when I got happy.

Because it just worked. The little bit of time Jake /Eli and Craig spent together, their attraction and passion was yummy. Jake's reasons might be silly and fluffed to gills but at the end of the day, he just needed his man to reassure him and show him that he's his and quit the shit.

So it read like a fluffed out Christmas after school special but it's a Mary Calmes one. I went in knowing what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. Some parts corny, more parts sweet and full of love and cooking hints.

Not my favorite (it's earlier Calmes) but a solid novella is solid. " ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
Mary Calmes has her formula... I know what to expect from her characters. This story pulled at my heart springs. I'm a fan. 4 stars ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
Well color my ass surprised. I want to give this 3.5 because there were some moments that felt a bit rushed, over the top, and not developed, but fuck it. I liked this. ( )
  Peepers82 | Sep 22, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,045,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible