Feyland: The Dark Realm by Anthea Sharp

Feyland: The Dark Realm (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Anthea Sharp

Series: Feyland (1)

7419162,398 (4.23)1
Member:Lschwarzman
Title:Feyland: The Dark Realm
Authors:Anthea Sharp
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 326 pages

The Dark Realm by Anthea Sharp (2011)

The book is boasted as an USA Today Bestselling Urban Fantasy novel. And I am not surprised by the claim.

The back cover synopsis reads:

WHEN A GAME… Feyland is the most immersive computer game ever designed, and fifteen-year-old Jennet Carter is the first to play the prototype. But she doesn't suspect the virtual world is close enough to touch — or that she’ll be battling for her life against the Dark Queen of the faeries.

TURNS REAL… Tam Linn is the perfect hero — in-game. Too bad the rest of his life is seriously flawed. The last thing he needs is rich-girl Jennet prying into his secrets, insisting he’s the only one who can help her.

WINNING IS EVERYTHING… Together, Jennet and Tam enter the Dark Realm of Feyland, only to discover that the entire human world is in danger. Pushed to the limit of their abilities, they must defeat the Dark Queen… before it’s too late.

Sounds pretty intense, right? Sharp writes clean and concise prose and dialogue. She is gifted when it comes to narrative and description. She gives the reader plenty to paint the picture, but doesn't overdo it so as to take away from the pace and timing of the story. I enjoy her writing style very much.

The main characters, Jennet Carter (a well off, well to do high class teen implanted in what is basically the inner-city school district), teams up with Tam Linn (a poor, lower class student with responsibilities of an adult). The two are gamers. Sim players. And the best at their art. Carter's father works for a tech company that is pre-beta-testing the Feyland Sim game. No one is supposed to have access to it. Carter does, and has been playing the game to the point of detriment. She lost part of her soul inside the system. She needs Tam's expertise to get that missing piece of herself back. The danger, of course, is subjecting Tam to the same dangers that she faced --where the threats are real. Together they must find and battle an evil queen, not just to save themselves, but to save the world.

FEYLAND: The Dark Realm is a taut, action-packed fantasy novel. The chapters are short. I read the book in a few sittings because it was easy to keep turning pages and think, Well, one more chapter ...Okay, just one more chapter. The next thing I knew, I was done with the book, and wanting more. My hat is off to Sharp for creating such a clever gaming world, and a series of Feyland novels to go along with it!

Phillip Tomasso,
Author of Damn the Dead and Blood River ( )
  ptom3 | May 2, 2015 |
Had some misspelled words, but overall, was a good book. ( )
  Sirsangel | Jan 17, 2015 |
A very clever mix of sci-fi and fantasy. I appreciated the unique melding of fairyland with technology. I also appreciated the character development and world building. Particularly masterful was the updating of the Tamlin mythology and the thoughtful inclusion of the poem at the end of the novel. Ms. Sharp's style is clever and captivating. I strongly recommend this to high school students. ( )
  hillmeredith | Mar 3, 2014 |
This is the 2nd book base on a Scottish ballad that I red this week (the 1st is about Scarborough fair) Soooo.... I had this kind of weird feeling...
Anyway it's a perfect idea:

"I forbid you maidens all that wear gold in your hair
To travel to Carterhaugh for young Tam Lin is there
None that go by Carterhaugh but they leave him a pledge
Either their mantles of green or else their maidenhead
Janet tied her kirtle green a bit above her knee
And she's gone to Carterhaugh as fast as go can she...."

So of course the main characters are Tam lin ,Jennet and the dark fairy queen Add to this another character from another Scottish ballad - Thomas the Rhymer and you got another perfect combination:
".....Oh no, oh no, Thomas, she said
That name does not belong to me
I am but the Queen of fair Elfland
That am hither come to visit thee

Harp and carp, Thomas, she said
Harp and carp along with me
And if you dare to kiss my lips
Sure of your body I will be...."

Now take all of this above and scatter it into artificial reality game and....
Put it into "Sim-game" as the point of entry to Fey land - is just ingenious!
Anthea Sharp’s choice of game levels to create a spiraling entry into the enchanted dark realm,are good ones.

She also get over on few problem like the age of the characters (No pregnancy for Jennet). She replaced the time of encounters of the queen Janet before Tam lin (still the knight). She add a generous help from Thomas the Rhymer (Who happen to know Jennet from before and play heavy metal in the court of the queen)

Now, Add to all this above ,Tam’s complicated family life- (His little brother, Bug, is a scene-stealer), and in contrast to it the near-perfect, over-protected world Jennet inhabits with her father.

The writing is solid. The pacing is even; the story keeps moving and I couldn't stop reading till i reached to the surprising finish.... now what... do I really have to wait?
Well I'll be happy to rest my hands on the next book. ( )
  yahalomi65 | Sep 30, 2013 |
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile ( )
  karlaihdez | Sep 20, 2013 |

Anthea Sharpprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Killion, KimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the readers in my family, but most especially for Brynn.
Jennet faced the Dark Queen, her mage staff at the ready.

~ Book 1 in the award-winning YA Urban Fantasy trilogy ~

What if a high-tech computer game was a gateway to the dangerous Realm of Faerie?

WHEN A GAME…

Feyland is the most immersive computer game ever designed, and Jennet Carter is the first to play the prototype. But she doesn’t suspect the virtual world is close enough to touch — or that she’ll be battling for her life against the Dark Queen of the faeries.

TURNS REAL…

WINNING IS EVERYTHING…

Anthea Sharp is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,514,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible