Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Unravel Me (edition 2013)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:TequilaReader
Title:Unravel Me
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2013), Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:June, To read, Current TBR, eBook, Needs Tags

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Recently added bynycke137, Musefall, silentblackstar, blog_gal, blurvey, private library

English (53)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
I love this series. A little wordy in the description part but I love the story line. I can't wait until the next one comes out. Excellent read! ( )
  nycke137 | Jul 29, 2014 |
This is Book Two of the YA trilogy that began with Shatter Me. The story is narrated by Juliette Ferrars, a 17-year-old who has been imprisoned by “The Reestablishment,” the power faction that is supposed to renew the dying society. But, as with most dystopias, the new group in control has become drunk on power and despotic.

In Unravel Me, Juliette has been rescued from captivity and is taken to a compound of people who all have enhanced powers; she no longer has to feel alone in the world. The leader of the compound, Castle, encourages Juliette to work on controlling her power so that she won't hurt herself or others, unless of course she wants to do so. But Adam is changing, and Warner comes back into Juliette's life, and Juliette doesn't trust her own emotions, not to mention her "super" powers. Juliette, Adam, and Warner are all "unraveling" - how will it end? ( )
  nbmars | Jul 15, 2014 |
Like [b:Shatter Me|13455782|Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)|Tahereh Mafi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1338924054s/13455782.jpg|15333458], I just devoured this book. I'm usually not a fan of "book twos," but this one was a little different. I liked the progression of the story and, while I have read other comments and reviews that Juliette whined and had no growth, I would have to disagree with that. She seems to get stuck a lot in the same patterns of thought. But, you know, I can't really say that I blame her. She's suffered a lot of traumas and it does seem like, whenever something good happens, something horrible sneaks in to pull the scales out of balance. And I think she learned and grew and I'm eager to see where she goes in the next book.

A few things I didn't like: the break up with Adam for Adam's sake. Thank goodness Mafi had the sense to add in his dialogue the words, "You're hurting me now." I've never been a fan of the people-in-love-with-one-another-but-stay-apart-for-the-good-of-one-or-the-other-person plot devices. It's obvious that Adam adores and loves Juliette deeply and, hell, if he's willing to stick it out, I think she should, too. After all, he'd be the one getting hurt if anything happened. I think Juliette needs to show a little more faith in him and his learning how to control his ability and reactions to her.

Secondly, I'm not a fan of love triangles. I get it. I read a lot of books and see a lot of films and the love triangle is a big favorite out there among writers. I just don't like it at all. Mafi did such a captivating job of drawing Juliette and Adam as individuals and then pulling them together in "Shatter Me" and I don't see the love connection with Juliette and Warner. As much as I tried to tamp down my Team Adam cheerleader and see if I could get into Warner as the third side of this triangle, I just wasn't feeling it. The chemistry in the love scenes between Warner and Juliette just didn't ignite for me (Ha! Get it? No? Not at that part yet?) and I just never felt the two of them together. When Juliette's inner dialogue would ask her what she was doing or state that she didn't get why she was feeling drawn to Warner, I'd agree. Often out loud. (Don't judge me.) So, nope, still team Adam and I still see and want Adam and Juliette together.

Great read, though. Fun, action-filled, romantic, sexy in turns, and a really good book two. Now, when can I get book three? ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |

"Juliette has escaped to Omega Point, the headquarters of the rebel resistance and a safe haven for people with abilities like hers. She is finally free from The Reestablishment and their plans to use her as a weapon, but Warner, her former captor, won't let her go without a fight."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,651,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible