Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Unravel Me (edition 2013)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:TequilaReader
Title:Unravel Me
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2013), Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:June, To read, Current TBR, eBook, Needs Tags

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (69)  Dutch (1)  All languages (70)
4.5 Stars!
I love it when he tells me that he likes the way I feel because it goes against everything I've heard my entire life and I wish I could put his words in my pocket just to touch them once in a while and remind myself that they exist.

This series really did sneak up on me and grabbed me by the shirt and ordered me to love it, even when I didn't want to. The writing is still a little flowery, with a lot of teenage-girl stream of consciousness, but it has been toned down quite a bit from the first book and I wasn't distracted in this one like I was in Shatter Me. I maybe even enjoyed it.

As far as the world and the story? Love it. It's like a dystopian X-men, and who doesn't love the X-men? Although I am going to state for the record that Juliette is no Rogue and could benefit from a sense of humor... and maybe a southern accent... and a white streak in her hair. No? Somebody get me a comic so I can get my Rogue fix.

Warner and Adam are both strong contenders in the love triangle, which has managed to keep me on the edge of my seat without making me nuts, so my hat is off to Tahereh Mafi because very few authors can pull that off. I really care about them both and I understand the conflicted feelings Juliette is having because I'm having them with her. I want her to get it on with Warner and then I feel guilt because Adam doesn't deserve that... but I still want her to get it on with Warner. Then I am ashamed. It's kind of fun.

Warner has been the misunderstood dark horse in this race and maybe that's why I love him. He is both selfless and selfish, flawed and fierce, cold yet tender.... also I like his Shakespeare quote tattoo. Don't judge me. This is a book set in a dystopian X-man world. I can root for the "bad" guy getting the girl if I want.

KirSio | Aug 31, 2015 |
More like a 3.5 to me. I felt that this sequel was a vast improvement in Mafi's writing style from Juliette's point-of-view. I can't say that I'm loving the love-triangle but oh well. Warner fans will be happy. To see my full review visit my blog here: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.... ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |
Wow. Just wow.

I don't even know how to write a review for this without giving away spoilers. So I'll just say that about half-way through this book I was flabbergasted by the plot twist.

Not a huge fan of potty-mouths in books. I feel like it's a cop-out for more descriptive word choices.

Other than that, I loved it. Even the whole clichéd love triangle. I love it when an author makes me sympathetic toward a villain.

Looking forward to book 3. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |

HANDS DOWN TO CHAPTER 62. ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
This book was even better than the first one if that's possible! ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
For my mother.  The best person I've ever known.
The world might be sunny-side up today.

"Juliette has escaped to Omega Point, the headquarters of the rebel resistance and a safe haven for people with abilities like hers. She is finally free from The Reestablishment and their plans to use her as a weapon, but Warner, her former captor, won't let her go without a fight."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,155,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible