Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Unravel Me (edition 2013)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:TequilaReader
Title:Unravel Me
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2013), Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:June, To read, Current TBR, eBook, Needs Tags

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (49)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
Like [b:Shatter Me|13455782|Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)|Tahereh Mafi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1338924054s/13455782.jpg|15333458], I just devoured this book. I'm usually not a fan of "book twos," but this one was a little different. I liked the progression of the story and, while I have read other comments and reviews that Juliette whined and had no growth, I would have to disagree with that. She seems to get stuck a lot in the same patterns of thought. But, you know, I can't really say that I blame her. She's suffered a lot of traumas and it does seem like, whenever something good happens, something horrible sneaks in to pull the scales out of balance. And I think she learned and grew and I'm eager to see where she goes in the next book.

A few things I didn't like: the break up with Adam for Adam's sake. Thank goodness Mafi had the sense to add in his dialogue the words, "You're hurting me now." I've never been a fan of the people-in-love-with-one-another-but-stay-apart-for-the-good-of-one-or-the-other-person plot devices. It's obvious that Adam adores and loves Juliette deeply and, hell, if he's willing to stick it out, I think she should, too. After all, he'd be the one getting hurt if anything happened. I think Juliette needs to show a little more faith in him and his learning how to control his ability and reactions to her.

Secondly, I'm not a fan of love triangles. I get it. I read a lot of books and see a lot of films and the love triangle is a big favorite out there among writers. I just don't like it at all. Mafi did such a captivating job of drawing Juliette and Adam as individuals and then pulling them together in "Shatter Me" and I don't see the love connection with Juliette and Warner. As much as I tried to tamp down my Team Adam cheerleader and see if I could get into Warner as the third side of this triangle, I just wasn't feeling it. The chemistry in the love scenes between Warner and Juliette just didn't ignite for me (Ha! Get it? No? Not at that part yet?) and I just never felt the two of them together. When Juliette's inner dialogue would ask her what she was doing or state that she didn't get why she was feeling drawn to Warner, I'd agree. Often out loud. (Don't judge me.) So, nope, still team Adam and I still see and want Adam and Juliette together.

Great read, though. Fun, action-filled, romantic, sexy in turns, and a really good book two. Now, when can I get book three? ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
This story took so many different twists that I didn't expect. My feelings were all over the place. Sad.Happy.Angry.Shocked.Sad... and everything in between.

I hate the turn the story took with Adam and Juliette. My heart ached for him. for her. Then Warner, crazy messed up but yet caring Warner thrown into the mix yet again. My heart breaks for him too. Him and Juliette really are more alike than she likes, more than I think I like. You see I have always always always been Team Adam, and if my heart wouldn't just shatter, I would now be Team maybe Warner. Yes, I said it and I can't believe it. I love Adam, I really do and I hate thinking that she may not end up with him. But I am really starting to care about Warner. Maybe it is because we have seen more into his soul. Juliette and him together, even just speaking, they are teetering on the edge of combusting. It hurts my heart to even write that. Because of Adam. At this point i'm not sure what team I really am anymore. Her relationship with both of them is so different, but still so alike. I can't help but wonder who she is going to choose, I do not envy her.

The rest of the story aside from the romantic aspects were also great. The twists catching you off guard, but then make you go back and question things and realize it was in front of you the whole time. I will be on pins and needles until I can get more of this story! ( )
  Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |

Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |
Rescued from captivity and from Warner, the boy soldier who wants her to work for the Reestablishment, Juliette finds herself in a compound of people who are resisting the government and each have their own powers. Their leader, Castle, wants Juliette and her boyfriend, Adam, to discover their powers, but she knows it's just a matter of time before she hurts someone again.

In Shatter Me Juliette learns to trust Adam; now she has to learn to trust herself. She starts out hurting and afraid and begins to grow into a stronger person as she comes to accept her power and herself, and to make new friends at the compound. I enjoyed seeing her growth and coming to see secondary characters, such as Kenji, in a new light as Juliette starts to open herself up. The sequel was even better than the first book, and I look forward to seeing how the trilogy wraps up. ( )
  bell7 | May 27, 2014 |
SURPRISE! You’re all (well, those of you who know me well anyway) looking at my rating and going “what the eff? I came here for a ranty review; this is a prank, right?” Nope, it’s not a prank. In fact, I would like to hold up this review as proof that I go into books with an open mind, and not with my decision all set. As you all know (or can find out if so inclined), I didn’t loathe Shatter Me, but I wasn’t really impressed either. With Unravel Me, everything isn’t fixed, but a lot of my issues were addressed, and I had a great time reading the book. Thus, here we are with a four star rating. Now let’s break it down.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 8, 2014 |

"Juliette has escaped to Omega Point, the headquarters of the rebel resistance and a safe haven for people with abilities like hers. She is finally free from The Reestablishment and their plans to use her as a weapon, but Warner, her former captor, won't let her go without a fight."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,220,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible