Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Unravel Me (edition 2013)

by Tahereh Mafi

Member:TequilaReader
Title:Unravel Me
Authors:Tahereh Mafi
Info:HarperCollins (2013), Hardcover, 480 pages
Collections:June, To read, Current TBR, eBook, Needs Tags

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

English (65)  Dutch (1)  All languages (66)
Juliette has finally escaped from the Reestablishment but she will never escape the power of her lethal touch. Now she’s safe at Omega Point and surrounded by people who are unique like her, yet to a smaller scale. Life seems to have made a big turn from when Juliette had been kept at the Reestablishment and now can be free to be with Adam. Instead Juliette is forced to make life changing decisions and is haunted by a past which includes Warner and the secrets shes keeping about him. Throughout Unravel Me, a fiction story by by Tahereh Mafi, Juliette is conflicted between many things and at some points it seems that there will be no light at the end of the tunnel. With a war just starting, Juliette is forced to be prepared.

I would definitely recommend this story for any middle school or high school student, or to anyone who likes a fictional story. As I first started reading the book, I did think it started slow, but within a few chapters I immediately got pulled back into the characters and plot in the story. Throughout the two books so far I really got to know the characters which allowed me to better understand what was going on and to make better predictions of what would happen next. The whole book leaves you on edge and wanting to know what is happening next. Overall, the characters and plot sucked me into the world of Unravel Me and definitely has left me yearning to read the next and final book of the series. ( )
  Lael14 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Review: Unravel Me (Shatter me #2) I'm very disappointed, I really am l.

the first book was exquisite (beautifully written I loved every word of it)
But this one actually uninterested bored me and I was frustrated with Julliet all the time. She whine too much and hurt every one around her... I would've loved to know more about everyone else kenji, james, castle. ...

Note:
I hate bad love triangles and this one is the worst I've ever read
• I already know who J is going to pick. And it's plain obvious who the guy is. So I'm not even going to read thr next one, *so disappointed that I might shed a few tears!,I was expecting so much of this serie... * ( )
  Leila.Khouane | Dec 30, 2014 |
Review: Unravel Me (Shatter me #2) I'm very disappointed, I really am l.

the first book was exquisite (beautifully written I loved every word of it)

Note:
I hate bad love triangles and this one is the worst I've ever read
  Leila.Khouane | Dec 30, 2014 |
I just finished reading Unravel Me and my thoughts and feelings regarding this book are all over the place. I don't know how I'm going to rate it so I'll have to sort through them first! Did I like it? Well...yes and no.
**Beware, this review will contain spoilers because I have no idea how to write this without them!**

In Shatter Me, what struck me most was just how heartbreaking Juliette's affliction was. How hyperaware she needed to be of simply where her uncovered skin was all the time (although I have to ask - why didn't anyone think of gloves sooner?!). People were afraid of her, told their kids to keep their distance. She was a freak, a monster, and her own parents didn't want her. The fact that she was still able to hold onto her compassion and some resemblance of sanity is actually amazing. So for her to that somehow there was not one but two people in that messed-up world who can stand her touch - of course that must be shocking. It was a completely new experience for her to be able to touch someone's skin without causing them extreme harm - or worse. And for her to feel another's touch would be even more thrilling. So much so that I can't help but feel that both Adam and Warner are taking advantage of her. When she tries to stand up to them, tells Adam she doesn't want to hurt him and Warner that she doesn't want him, they touch her. And she's going to feel it more acutely than if she was normal, because it is so strange to her. That's why she feels an attraction to both of them. And those two boys are both so selfish they don't realise what they're doing to her and only know that they want her. They are both so possessive it makes me sick.

I felt like Juliette started making real progress as a strong, independent young woman when she 'broke up' with Adam, like she herself noticed - but not enough until she had a talking to from Kenji, which was a long time coming. I was so excited for her when they arrived at Omega Point and found there were other people with abilities above and beyond the norm. I thought she would be able to learn more about herself and her capabilities, and understand how to harness & control her energy. Her capabilities are different to the others and make life a lot harder for her but I really believed she would do it, and want to. I thought she would be excited about who she was and how to use her ability so I was disappointed in her 'oh poor me' routine. What Kenji said to her was the slap in the face she needed. Good. I'm glad that she showed that she was able to make friends and finally expressed an interest in training. She needed it to take her mind off angsty Adam.

Adam was really visiting Crazytown in this book. I wish Kenji had shaken him too and told him to snap out of it. One - why not tell Juliette about your ability? There was no good reason to keep it from her. Two - mate don't be such a sook and do something productive instead of whine! And three - don't take your shit out on everyone else, it's not their fault and they've all got stuff to deal with too. His begging Juliette not to leave him was not what I expected of him - however my opinion was improved when he simply said he would work out a way for them to be together. Stop grovelling and whining and do something useful! But although I realise Juliette was trying not to hurt him physical she just made a further mess of him emotionally. Control yourselves, people! Yes, yes, I understand love and passion and raging emotions but sometimes you have to be practical.

And Warner. Do not get me started on Warner and Juliette's stupidity. People can change, people can discover compassion in their lives but he doesn't want to. He wants the life he knows and he wants Juliette. He craves power and having Juliette will give him that. He may love her too in his own twisted way but he doesn't care about what she wants and what is important to her - kindness and compassion and empathy. That is not love. He feels none of that and what drives me crazy is Juliette knows that. Yet she is attracted to him because he's beautiful (I am so sick of 'beautiful' boys!) and because he can touch her. She may see the potential for him to be better but he will never live up to it, and for all her attraction to him she will never love him. I don't believe that mentally she would be able to be with him. But she lets him do what he wants - mainly I think because simply being touched is so novel to her it's like a shock to the senses. Although I sympathise, the scene with Juliette and Warner in her bedroom made me feel sick. She needs to stand up for herself and you know what? If she really loved Adam he wouldn't have flown out of her mind so easy. I was so angry! She needs to tell both boys to leave her the hell alone until she sorts her shit out.

I only hope she doesn't end up with Warner mainly because I feel he is a horrible person and has no inclination to change. But I also feel like if she loves Adam she needs to be loyal. If no, maybe she shouldn't be with either. Simply being able to touch her isn't a good enough reason.

Did I mention love triangles frustrate the hell out of me?

So to return to the original question, did I like it? Yes. I like the main dystopian plot (although I've hardly mentioned it!), the secondary characters, the fast flowing story. I read this quite quickly and if I didn't have a paper to work on it would have been finished even faster. I still want to read the last book but I'm really hoping it doesn't disappoint.
3.5 stars ( )
  crashmyparty | Dec 9, 2014 |
This book was even better than the first one if that's possible! ( )
  Verkruissen | Nov 5, 2014 |

"Juliette has escaped to Omega Point, the headquarters of the rebel resistance and a safe haven for people with abilities like hers. She is finally free from The Reestablishment and their plans to use her as a weapon, but Warner, her former captor, won't let her go without a fight."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,778,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible