Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Title:Speechless
Authors:Hannah Harrington
Info:MIRA Ink (2012), Kindle Edition, 288 pages
Collections:Digital Library, Middle Grade & Teens
Tags:@ebook, fiction, young adult, contemporary fiction, school days

Speechless by Hannah Harrington

So, I am going to go with a slightly different format with this review, and depending on how it works out and the response of my readers, I may use it again in the future. We will have to see how it goes. First, I am going to give my overall general thoughts on the book. Then, I will answer a couple of the discussion questions from the back of the book.

I really, really struggled with this review. First off, I just realized that I have been getting the main character's name all mixed up with the main character of another book I recently finished. And no one corrected me on Twitter!!!

I really, really wanted to love this book. I requested it for review because so many people raved about it. But the truth is, I really, really struggled with this one.

Have you guys seen the movie Mean Girls? This was just way worse. The characters, with a few exceptions, are shallow and lifeless and the endearing parts of the book come so close to the end, it was just really hard to connect.

The writing itself was good. The style, the flow, all of that was great. I think maybe it is the subject matter. The concept of what happened to Noah just really bothered me and Chelsea was..just lacking to me.

Some discussion questions. Feel free to chime in on these in the comments!

1. Chelsea Knot starts this story as a gossip whose words wind up hurting others both mentally and physically. What do you think about her vow of silence? Was that an effective way to deal with what happened? How hard might it be to not speak at all for four weeks?

Well, to me, the vow of silence would have been great if the initial motivation might have been for better reasons. If she were evaluating why she did what she did and things like that, it might have been better. But the motivation just seemed shallow to me. I think there could have been better ways to handle things. I highly doubt I could go that long without talking for anything less than miraculous, life altering reasons.

I am going to leave it with that question for now to see how the response is. There are a dozen or so in the back of the book, but the others kind of give too much away and I want people to form their own opinions.
I know that mine is not the popular response to this one, but it is my opinion. I just really could not connect with this one for some reason.

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

Some discussion questions. Feel free to chime in on these in the comments!

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
This book has so much truth inside it's pages...
Speechless gives a powerful message while being a good book, a thing not all authors can do. Some authors then to exaggerate things in order to make their books 'better' while others try to make the problems seem lighter than they are, but Harrington does none.
The book hooked me up pretty well and, even though I have to say I hated Chelsea at the beginning, I have to say I understand Harrington made her shallow in order for us to see the transformation she has through the book.
At the ending, we can see a Chelsea that's not perfect, but has learned of her errors and has decided to love instead of hate because "Hate is too easy, but love takes courage". ( )
  Liinda97 | Sep 21, 2014 |
This book has so much truth inside it's pages...
  Liinda97 | Sep 21, 2014 |
I really thought Chelsea was trashy in the beginning. It was going to be a long boko.

But I held back my wrath because Chelsea admitted that she was Kristin's lapdog the entire time so~

But as I kept reading I couldn't stop omg. I cried I laughed....

And NOOOOOAAAAAH my poor baby child 3 [/sobs] ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |

After her behavior causes her to lose her popular friends and results in one person being hospitalized, Chelsea takes a vow of silence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,196,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible