Inbetween (Kissed by Death) by Tara Fuller

Inbetween (Kissed by Death)

by Tara Fuller

I love a good reaper book. A lot of the time, they are given a bad rep. Not all reapers are evil. Especially Finn, he's got a good heart.

We're kind of thrown into the story. We know Finn is protecting Emma, but we don't know why. As I said before, he has a good heart. He just tends to think with it, and not about consequences. He has his own demons he hast to get past, and you have to wonder if he'll have the strength to keep Emma alive. Emma seems kind of annoying at first, but she's strong and independent. She's had a rough life since the accident with her father. She looks for answers instead of letting things happen to her. The other awesome character is Cash, Emma's best friend. They've been through a lot together, and you can tell just how strong their bond is.

Inbetween has a little bit of action around every corner. Emma is constantly having to watch her back against something she can't even see. The way the characters interact with each other flows really well, and they are believable. I'm excited to learn more about this world. Especially one event toward the end. I must know the reasoning behind it.
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I received this book from Entangled Teen in return for a honest review.
This is one of those boy meets girl, falls in love, they are separated, and then the meet again books. This has a twist though, Finn is a soul whose job is to bring souls to the inbetween.

Emma by all conventions is a girl traumatized by an accident that left her fatherless. To everyone else she is imagining the people following her, the weird messages, plus she is having strange dreams. But what is happening to her is real. There is a vengeful soul, Maeve, who is out to get her.

While this story contains the same plot as a typical YA fantasy book, there are many aspects that where different and enjoyable. I really appreciated the way Emma reacted to Finn first revealing himself to her. She became paranoid and did not immediately believe him. I think a lot of books have this instant trust and connection between characters that is hard to believe. Fuller shies away from this by still having that connection but also have a layer of distrust to it.

I also really appreciate Cash. He is a loyal friend to Emma and does not see her perceived “illness” as an issue. He is always there for Emma and constantly getting her to open up to him and not bottle everything up.

The ended was happy as I expected it, but still with a twist. Overall, a pretty solid book.
  forsakenfates | Sep 27, 2014 |
NOTE: I received the arc of this book from Netgalley.

I was very very excited about Inbetween because I'd heard some awesome things about it. And when I actually got it from Netgalley, I was super joyful!

The beginning was a bit slow to my taste, but once the story picked up pace, it became enthralling to the point where I couldn't put the book down until I was done with it. Unfortunately the end came way too fast. I breezed through Inbetween as if it were a 200 page book!!! Yes, it was really good! And boy, what a cliffhanger!

The story was well thought out, the world was well built with rules and regulations and restrictions that had unforgivable consequences if breached. It was pretty unique as a story, though the concept of impossible love was the same as most other YA books. The descriptions of Heaven, Hell and the Inbetween sounded quite realistic to me.

The characters:
*Emma was your average girl, who had no idea who she really was. Nor did she have any idea that her life was at stake because of a 17 year old feud. She didn't even suspect that she had a protector who's ready to give his very existence over to Hell to see her live her life. Yet, she suspects all those things, because she may be blind, but she's not stupid. And the loss of her father has scarred her heart forever. Now the wound is open again as her mom is trying to begin living again.

*Finn was one gorgeous reaper. He was devoted to Emma, and not even his own condemnation could stop him from watching over her. His love for her was so strong and pure, that it overshadowed everything else. Nothing and no one were important. Only Emma.

*Cash was Emma's best friend, who was also a playboy with a hurt soul. I would really love to see him turn from the hardcore player he was, into a lovesick boy. Besides all that, he was a caring, devoted friend.

*Anaya, Easton and Scout were Finn's reaper friends who'd get mad at him for his constant breaking of all sorts of rules in his desire to save Emma from yet another attack. In the end though, even they couldn't stand before love with closed eyes.

Inbetween was a very nice paranormal YA story that I recommend to lovers of this genre. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
This book sounds like [b:Existence|13223520|Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1)|Abbi Glines|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327184429s/13223520.jpg|17258588], but I didn't like that one. I'm hoping this will be able to bring out the idea of "falling in love with death", which is an awesome idea for a plot, better.
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
I think this book must have gone on sale somewhere along the way...or maybe I read about it somewhere, but forgot..I'm not sure. All I know is I got the chance to read book two in the series, Blurred, and when I was about halfway through with it realized that I also had this one already on my Kindle. Bonus! Naturally I had to read it as soon as I was finished with #2. It absolutely did not disappoint. I read it in less than 24 hours total, and only told my daughter about ten times during that 24 hours that she HAD to read it. But not until I was done, of course.

So far, this is definitely the best reaper/death and human romance series I've read, and for paranormal/fantasy YA series, it's right up there with my faves. This series is definitely going to go on my classroom library shelves--I must share. I'm really enjoying the world that Tara Fuller has created here, with characters who have been "Kissed by Death". I loved both Finn (WWII pilot! What's not to love?) and Emma (she bakes! Made me want to throw together some cookies, but then I would have had to stop reading), I just didn't love them *quite* as much as I loved Anaya and Cash from book two ;) I think I might have actually appreciated their story more, though, knowing how they'd be adapting to its aftermath in Blurred.

I'm really, really hoping Ms. Fuller is giving us Easton's story next. I'm seriously loving that guy. ( )
  beckymmoe | Jun 30, 2013 |

"Since the car crash that took her father's life three years ago, Emma's life has been a freaky - and unending - lesson in caution. Surviving 'accidents' has taken priority over being a normal seventeen-year-old, so Emma spends her days taking pictures of life instead of living it. Falling in love with a boy was never part of the plan. Falling for a reaper who makes her chest ache and her head spin? Not an option. It's not easy being dead, especially for a reaper in love with a girl fate has put on his list not once, but twice. Finn's fellow reapers give him hell about spending time with Emma, but Finn couldn't let her die before, and he's not about to let her die now. He will protect the girl he loves from the evil he accidentally unleashed, even if it means sacrificing the only thing he has left. His soul."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,637,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible