Tokyo Heist by Diana Renn

Tokyo Heist (edition 2012)

by Diana Renn

Member:mountie9
Title:Tokyo Heist
Authors:Diana Renn
Info:Viking Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Tokyo Heist by Diana Renn

The perfect mystery for fans of Ally Carter's Heist Society

When sixteen-year-old Violet agrees to spend the summer with her father, an up-and-coming artist in Seattle, she has no idea what she's walking into. Her father's newest clients, the Yamada family, are the victims of a high-profile art robbery: van Gogh sketches have been stolen from their home, and, until they can produce the corresponding painting, everyone's lives are in danger--including Violet's and her father's.

Violet's search for the missing van Gogh takes her from the Seattle Art Museum, to the yakuza-infested streets of Tokyo, to a secluded inn in Kyoto. As the mystery thickens, Violet's not sure whom she can trust. But she knows one thing: she has to solve the mystery--before it's too late.
  lkmuir | Nov 30, 2015 |
A fun adventure mystery. Maybe a bit on the young side of YA and a little too Nancy Drew formulaic, but overall an enjoyable quick read. Would recommend to fans of manga and anime, as I didn't understand a lot of the pop culture references. Obviously comparable to Heist Society, but kind of the other point of view of this world. ( )
  marywilton | Nov 19, 2013 |
Originally posted here.

Tokyo Heist is my first and last experience with DAC ARC tours. I signed up a couple of months ago, I think, and have since withdrawn from the Debut Author Challenge (though I continue to do my own non-age-specific debut challenge). Since that is a requirement for the tours, I am not going to be joining any more of them. However, I have NOTHING against DAC ARC Tours. They have been very professional and nice, even though this experience was more drama-filled than some, since the first ARC disappeared somewhere along the way. So thank you to DAC ARC Tours and to Penguin for making it possible for me to read this ARC.

Tokyo Heist would make an excellent read for younger readers looking to transition to YA or for middle graders. The content, writing, and characters definitely would fit with that age group well. Violet definitely felt like a young 16 to me. There were definitely times where she would be trying to figure something out and I would be headdesking at how obvious this particular part of the mystery was. This was not the case with every single clue by any means, but did happen more than once. I also couldn't believe that the FBI was impressed by some of her suggestions, since most of them seemed pretty obvious; maybe they were just being nice.

Of course, Violet does do some serious sleuthing too, along with the Scooby Doo variety. Where Violet and Tokyo Heist really shine are in the sections focusing on artwork. As the mystery progressed into more art-based research and sleuthing, the pace definitely picked up and I was less able to point out the obvious solution.

It's also great that you can totally tell how passionate Violet is about art, both other people's and her own. In fact, the artistic descriptions were so vivid that I occasionally sort of felt like I was reading a manga rather than a novel. This would have made a stellar manga or graphic novel, btws. It would have been like Inception, when it got into the Kimono Girl scenes!

Part of what made Violet seem so young was her manga obsession, which was also something I enjoyed, being a lover of manga as well. However, Violet takes it a little too far, as a young teen might do. Whenever she's stuck in her mystery-solving, she asks herself "WWVSD?" (What would Vampire Sleuths do?), because that is her favorite manga. She also tries to figure out how to handle her crush on her best friend by looking to manga for advice. Friends, I adore manga, but DO NOT DO THIS. No wonder she's having so much difficulty with her romance, poor dear.

Tokyo Heist is a fun read full of Asian culture (ftw!). If you're looking for something light with an entertaining mystery and some diversity, Renn's book is definitely worth picking up. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
Mini Review: A delightfully fun mystery read that is perfect for the YA lover who either is sick or or dislikes any paranormal/dystopian type of read. Violet is is a charming heroine that many young girls will feel a connection to. This is also a book that the manga lover will thoroughly enjoy as the Japanese animation is an integral to the plot of the story. I did find the constant manga mentions and Japanese expressions a little irritating at times but than again I am not the intended audience for this, so feel free to ignore my comment on that. I also really disliked Violet's father (although there was some wonderful realistic character development with him) and just wanted to smack him on many occasion. Was impressed with the thorough amount of research the author did in relation to all facets of the art world and Japanese culture. I wish the store I worked at had some copies of this book as many of our young customers are sick of the dystopian & paranormal stories and want something just like this.

4 Dewey's

Jenn lent this to me as part of a read a long that she takes part in with Michelle and Chandra - Thanks ladies this was a refreshing change from what I have been reading ( )
  mountie9 | Feb 25, 2013 |
A strong start and a weak finish, but still a fun story. Violet, a teen otaku, and her artist father get caught up in events surrounding the theft of van Gogh drawings and a frantic search for a missing van Gogh painting that takes them from Seattle to Japan. Not terribly atmospheric,especially once the characters arrive in Japan--I felt like the author was describing a Japan she'd read about rather than one she'd experienced. Japanese words were correctly romanized but were often forced in their placement. I also felt the romance between Violet and her friend Edge, who only appears in the beginning and end of the story, was stilted--he should have played more of a role in the story for them to end up together.
  LibraryGirl11 | Aug 4, 2012 |

After a high-profile art heist of three van Gogh drawings in her home town of Seattle, sixteen-year-old Violet Rossi finds herself in Japan with her artist father, searching for the related van Gogh painting.

Diana Renn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,509,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible