Keeping The Castle by Patrice Kindl

Keeping The Castle (edition 2012)

by Patrice Kindl

Title:Keeping The Castle
Authors:Patrice Kindl
Info:Viking Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages

Keeping the castle by Patrice Kindl

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (peptastic)
    peptastic: Both books feature girls who must marry to keep up their decrepit castles.
    Emma by Jane Austen (peptastic)
    peptastic: Both are comedies about manners with girls who meddle in other lives. Keeping the Castle is written in the style of Emma.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (TomWaitsTables)

I have to admit that I am not entirely sure if this book deserves four stars or five. Maybe it is just four. But I have been having a couple of those days where my mood is just all over the map, and I simply feel worn out, and now I do actually feel better. This little book (and it is little, and it looks pretty) is funny, very much like Jane Austen, and while it does have it's tense, wondering what's going to happen moments, it has a certain degree of freedom in its reality--e.g. a certain character having a child from an unapproved marriage (by her parents), and presents the idea of not marrying and being able to do what one truly wants to--such as following artistic endeavors.

*****Some spoilers*****
There are a lot of Austen-like references--Pride and Prejudice and Emma are the two that pop to mind first. I liked Mr. Fredericks from the start simply because he seemed to be the only one that was looking at the world who wasn't wearing rose-tinted glasses and saw things for what they were, and also because he was kind to Alexander. So did Althea, but she was still caught up in the necessity for marriage, trying to arrange things she thought would help but didn't, and in some cases making things worse--things started to get a little out of control. Much like the castle, with all of its jutting turrets and odd angles, Althea is trying to fit into a world she doesn't quite understand--all the knows is that she needs to marry for money to keep Crooked Castle. But what, really, is the point of keeping such a monstrosity, as eccentric and endearing as it may be? All she and her mother have been doing, their whole lives, it to pour money into this decrepit thing, which, as Mr. Fredericks pointed out, doesn't have a strong enough foundation to even stand on.

Getting into my symbolism mode here, I think Crooked Castle could be used as a metaphor for marriages where the two people don't have much in common. They try to make it work, and it gets edges and goes off in all directions. If they can keep the big storms at bay, maybe the foundation with survive. Maybe the Baron (Boring lol) and Charity will be able to succeed in their marriage as neither of them are particularly deep thinkers. Miss Vincy will work things out. Althea and her Mother will both be happy. I loved the fact that Mr. Fredericks proposes to Althea as Crooked Castle is continuing to crash over the cliff a little bit at a time--a few chairs, other bits of things. As the impossible thing Althea was trying to save is destroyed, a whole new life opens up for her, one far more pleasant than living in a leaky, damp, drafty, cold castle. ( )
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
An utterly delightful, fluffy Regency romance. I want a million more just like this. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Feb 28, 2014 |
Set in a Jane Austin-ish era, Keeping the Castle, is a delightful book with a spunky young heroine set on marrying well to save her family's estate. Although somewhat predictable, there were several fun little plot twists. The whole thing seemed to be plucked from a Jane Austin plot, albeit in modern easier-to-understand English. It even came complete with its own Mr. Darcy figure, though in this book, he of course has a different name.

It was a fun, clean, light read that provided a great rebound book for the much more serious nonfiction novel I had just finished (Unbroken). 4.5 of 5 stars. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |
Sweet, cute, and fun! ( )
  PaperCrystals | Oct 10, 2013 |

A very cute and lovely story. A bit repetitive and insipid at times but the heartwarming moments were worth the annoyances. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honorable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be their pleasantest preservative from want.

--Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
To my writers' group, with special thanks to Karen Beil.
And to Dante, my own Fido.
We were walking in the castle garden.

In order to support her family and maintain their ancient castle in Lesser Hoo, seventeen-year-old Althea bears the burden of finding a wealthy suitor who can remedy their financial problems.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,885,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible