Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

I picked Storm up a while – it was one of those books that was reasonably cheap and I just thought ‘why the hell not?’ and bought it. I don’t have the best track record with those books – usually they sit on my shelves unread for months and then eventually I get rid of them because I have no interest anymore. This definitely would have happened if Michelle and I hadn’t decided to buddy read this.

I’m glad that I ended picking it up. I actually really enjoyed it – It was a little predictable at times and the plot was nothing unique or particularly spectacular, but it was fun! It was quick to read and I totally love the Merrick brothers now. I’m interested to see where the rest of this series is going to go.
  EarlGreyBooks | Aug 2, 2017 |
A book that I am torn up about I wanted it to finish so that I knew what had happened and yet I didn't want it to end.

Storm is an interesting take on those with the 'powers of the elements'. And the fractions within the community. ( )
  DaffiMere | Jul 27, 2016 |
"Storm" is better than most paranormal romances and is the first in a new series, "Elemental." There is lots of action and suspense which makes it a page turner, creepy baddies and an attempted rape scene. With four hot brothers who can control the elements and the usual love triangle (although it did keep the reader guessing who Becca would end up with), I can see this being a popular series amongst teenage girls. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
4.5/5
This was undeniably one of the better YAs I've read so far in 2012. The reason? The male characters were really well done, and there was such a variety of them too!

Hugely entertaining, refreshing in its paranormal aspects, with a decent, strong and stubborn female lead, Becca. However, there were few things I disliked about Becca I feel I have to mention:

A) Her best friend. Who the hell came up with this great idea of making a best friend an annoying and selfish b*tch? Frankly speaking, it puzzles me. Why would you want to be a friend with such a person? and yet we have a nuisance of a friend in Hush, Hush, in Fury and god only knows how many other YA books.

B) Her father. This is such a cliche especially in the light of a mystery villain as in there are only two strangers in this dinky little town, figure it out faster, people!, that I kept rolling my eyes.

C)Attempted rape issue turned bullying. Not good, people. Becca has balls to be brave about everything else except what happened between her and her ex-potential boyfriend. Why doesn't he tell him to go f*ck himself repeatedly, why doesn't she fight? If she has this psychological trauma why does she go to the party with him present and get drunk again? I'm sorry I fail to see consistent behaviour in her character.

Despite the drawbacks, Brigid's writing is so captivating and entertaining you can't stop yourself from reading the whole book in one go and wanting more, and in the end this is the only thing that matters.

Storm is fun, full of action, strong emotions and characters that you can't help loving or hating depending on their motives, which is so much better than boring characters. Classic setting of a small town with its horrible secrets and bloody vendettas with a paranormal twist.

If you are hungry for more of such literature, I recommend The Soulkeepers by G.P.Ching which features multicultural characters and elemental powers. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I pretty much adored this book - and all the characters. I couldnt put it down! The brothers can use elements, and the girl is an average human.

Im alittle too lazy to write a full review so: I hated that Becca ends up being an elemental/her dad is the Guide. Seemed a bit too easy of an answer.

I also hated that book two isnt a continuation of this story. I want to know what happens to this clan through Becca and Chris' eyes. I hate series that jump around from person to person - it ruins the ENTIRE story for me.

trigstarom | Sep 19, 2015 |
The self-defense class had been a waste of sixty bucks.

When Becca rescues Chris Merrick during a parking-lot beating and discovers that Chris and his brothers have supernatural powers that enable them to control the elements, she unknowingly puts herself in danger.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Brigid Kemmerer's book Storm was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,067,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible