Crewel by Gennifer Albin
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: female roles, feminist allegory, patriarchal society, dystopia.
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: post-apocolyptic, isolation dystopia, romance, earth-like world, government conspiracy, teen series.
    Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.

It held my attention well enough. Honestly though parts of it felt forced. A world woven on top of earth and it is all basically a giant illusion/hallucination?! come on I've heard that before and it didn't sound good then either. I will just have to see if it improves with the rest of the series. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Mar 20, 2018 |
review to come, i can't decide what i want to say. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
I liked this series. Every though it was the 1st book, I don't think that it went by slowly at all. ( )
  Ella_Wold | Jan 20, 2018 |
Starting this book, I thought that it was dystopian, but as I continued on it began to appear to be more like a fantasy book. Crewel is dystopian/futuristic, but it seems so fantastical that it's difficult to tell for sure until the end. The concept of weaving the very world around us and being able to manipulate strands of time is amazing. Society has regressed back to the lack of complete equality for women: women can only are only meant to be pretty and silent, and may only be employed as secretaries along with similar jobs.

Adelice's parents absolutely did not want Adelice to be a Spinster, but they were careful to never say they were against the government. Life as a Spinster is pretty great if you comply to the rules, and the reason Adelice didn't comply was because her parents told that it was bad and did all they could to not have her retrieved. The reason why her parents were so against the Spinsters was never explained, and that is their actions because of this belief are the reason for almost everything that happens in the book.

The ending threw me for a loop, and I can't wait for the second book!

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
DNF’d @ 78%

I usually wouldn’t do a proper review for a DNF – largely because I usually DNF at the beginning – but I was far enough in this one that I feel it deserves some words. I have LOTS of word for Crewel, and they are mostly unfriendly.

*deep breath*

Crewel is about a girl in a dystopian world that is strictly ruled like the 1950s and women are basically treated like brainless dolls, unless you’re a Spinster, which is basically a goddess because you have the ability to manipulate the world. Naturally, Adelice is a Spinster. Or, more specifically, she is a Creweler, which is the most powerful upcoming Spinster. As expected in Cookie Cutter YA Dystopia Fantasy, Adelice is not into doing that. She spends a lot of time flirting with two boys (*gasp!* love triangle) and being an emotionless robot.

Aaaughhh.

So this ended up on my TBR because of the concept of a woven world. I’ve come across this concept in Egyptian mythology, where Neith weaves the world in her loom. There are lot of world myths involving weaving and fate and creation, featuring great figures like Anansi, and Moirai of Greek myth. Cool stuff, guys. Great basis for a story.

Only, this wasn’t about that at all, not really. The glimpses we get of that are awesome, and the philosophy behind that aspect of world-building is wicked cool BUT unfortunately, we are saddled with Adelice and she ruins everything.

Some small things that made me hate Adelice:

When she learns that one of her crushes watched his wife and baby die, she responds with jealousy that he had a wife.
She quickly forgets her own personal tragedy, then remembers when it’s convenient to the story, then forgets again.
She’s a selfish brat who marches in like she’s important and behaves horribly and is hit with no real consequences.
She cuts her hands to shreds for 12 hours and almost doesn’t let medical help in (which she calls only after crying) because it’s her crush.
These are a few examples, but honestly – it’s Adelice as a whole. She’s flat, shallow, selfish, and self-important. I can’t be bothered to feel bad for her because she has the attention span of a butterfly and the emotional range of a teaspoon.

These things weren’t what made me DNF it, though. There were other decent characters, and the writing wasn’t the worst I’ve ever read.

What made me DNF it was the way Gennifer Albin chose to handle homosexuality in her world.

When a lesbian couple arises, the two characters who discover it are abashed that something like this could actually happen. One of the couple gets “remapped” so she will not be that way. In all the instances that this is explained, it really comes down to “I can’t explain why this is wrong, only that this is wrong, and sometimes they’ll turn a blind eye but really a relationship should be a man and a woman.”

Paraphrased, but strongly implied.

I tried to listen past it. I waited for some sort of explanation how things were going to be okay. But it came down to “they are broken and we fixed them” which infuriated me.

Nope. DNF. We’re done.

Nobody in that situation needed to be “fixed”. ( )
  Morteana | Jan 9, 2018 |
To Robin, who demanded I write a book, and to Josh, who made it happen
They came in the night.

Gifted with the unusual ability to embroider the very fabric of life, sixteen-year-old Adelice is summoned by Manipulation Services to become a Spinster, a move that will separate her from her beloved family and home forever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,871,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible