Crewel (Crewel World) by Gennifer Albin

Crewel (Crewel World) (edition 2012)

by Gennifer Albin

Member:ABookwormsHaven
Title:Crewel (Crewel World)
Authors:Gennifer Albin
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: female roles, feminist allegory, patriarchal society, dystopia.
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: post-apocolyptic, isolation dystopia, romance, earth-like world, government conspiracy, teen series.
    Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: Similar theme of a girl's talent for weaving singling her out in a dystopian society.

I am surprised by how much I loved this book. My expectations were not set too high, although they weren’t set too low either. I skimmed over a few reviews and decided to give it a go (it helped that I caught it so cheap on Book Outlet). And let it be known, I hate that I didn’t discover and read this book much sooner than I did. I’ve really been missing out on a lot of good books like Crewel, apparently.

I don’t find too many series that I actually like enough to follow. Sure, I’ll read the first book of a series and maybe like it, but more often than not I usually move on and just not bother picking up the second or third book. BUT, a really big but, I’m thrilled with Crewel and am currently, desperately glancing at the second book as I type. My curiosity has been caught.

Crewel is no simple tale. It’s so different, in the good way. There are the usual things, of course, like the sorta love triangle, guy-in-love-with-practically-a-stranger-mc, and the ‘specialness’ of Adelice. I could overlook them because the actual story is front and center, most importantly interesting and fresh.

I can’t do this book justice, but I can’t seem to write a clear review when I really like a book. So if you haven’t read Crewel, consider adding it to your to-read list. ( )
  CinaChilders | Jan 8, 2015 |
There were only a very few parts that I actually enjoyed of this book the others parts I was so confused and understood nothing. The wold building with all the weave technology was frustrating just never explained in a way that I could follow. The ending however left me with hope that we have perhaps "left" that confusion behind so I plan to go to the next book and we shall see. ( )
  justablondemoment | Nov 2, 2014 |
Not horrible, but not spectacular either. Maybe its just a little too abstract for me. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Bang of a start, fizzled thru the middle and ends in a rush.

In Crewel women are objectified and treated as less than second class citizens. The Guild (run by men of course) is in ultimate control and they dictate the lives of everyone in Arras down to the seemingly smallest details. This is a world where women called spinsters control the fabric of reality, and can weave this fabric to change things however the Guild directs them. Adelice has this power and is roughly thrown into the Spinsterhood. She slipped up during her testing and was unable to hide her abilities.

The premise was so extraordinarily unique and I was caught up in the beginning with the adrenaline rush of her capture and the question of her family’s survival. What starts off fast paced understandably slows down quite a bit once she is in the Coventry. My interest seemed to teeter out when it came to the constant talk about cosmetics and clothes. I did like the personalities of the two male love interests Jost and Erik. They have traits that would definitely appeal to any young girl.

Gennifer Albin sure did try to pack Crewel full of “issues.” Sexual discrimination, underage drinking, LGBT, and suicide, and some really pervy old men.

Currently, I’m in between a “eh” and a “meh” on how how much I enjoyed the overall reading experience. There were a few things that were too obvious, or too convenient, and others that I just thought were a bit of a stretch to be believable. I still have hopes for the next one, considering how Crewel ended, I’m very excited to see what happens in this world from here.

On a very positive note the narration of the audio book was excellent. She had such a wonderfully subtle way of changing her voice to each character, I hope I run across her again as a narrator.
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
Wow, what an extraordinary read! This is totally one of those books you will never will be able to put down! Okay, I thought this would be an easy review to write since I loved it so much. Right now thats working against me because all I want to do is gush over Crewel. Crewel= Masterpiece

The characters are memorable and real. Jost, Adelice, Eric, and other characters, I swear, broke into my room last night. They talked to me and I saw them clear as day. (Maybe I am exaggerating a bit.) But, my point is, the characters were so vivid! Characters always make or break a book for me, and these wonderful characters got a big O on the "Make the reader care" O.W.Ls. My heart ached for each of them and everything they had to go through.

The world in Crewel was...well... utterly breathtaking. One of those settings that transport you to wherever the main character is. Albin is a author to envy for her amazing skills. Also, as you learn about the Spinsters and how they are controlled, you get mad. Scarily (and embarrassingly) mad for the world being total fiction.

The reader can tell the author put a lot of thought into this book. The ideas are complete and unique. Crewel was so not hastily thrown together. Everything needed is included, and in wonderful ways that suck you into the story.

This is now one of my favorite Dystopians. I am not always a big fan of the genre, but this one was 100% amazing. It is not a carbon copy of Hunger Games, or even Matched. Thank you Albin! Crewel stands out. Definitely.

Overall, I loveloveloved Crewel. I recommend this to readers looking for beautiful writing, vivid characters, and original ideas.

5/5 bookcases

Side note- Weaving time? Pulled off wonderfully! ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
To Robin, who demanded I write a book, and to Josh, who made it happen
They came in the night.

Gifted with the unusual ability to embroider the very fabric of life, sixteen-year-old Adelice is summoned by Manipulation Services to become a Spinster, a move that will separate her from her beloved family and home forever.

69 wanted4 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,099,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible