The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson

The Madness Underneath

by Maureen Johnson

Read this review, and many more on my blog October Tune!

When I read the first book in this series, I was hooked. A killer copying the murders of Jack the Ripper (which I have always found an interesting subject), a girl who can see ghosts and a secret ghost-fighting team. I loved it! So I was trilled to find out it was a series, and I was even more thrilled when I found out the second book was out already. I didn’t buy it until last month though, because there were so many other books that I wanted to read, and I just kept this book on my wishlist, until last month when I though tit might be a good idea to finish some of the series that I had started.

I had hoped for a little bit more action, like in the last book, when they confront the Ripper-copycat, but this book was mostly about Rory getting back to Wexford and getting back to her normal life (and failing miserably). I was really happy when Boo, Callum and Stephen came back into the picture, because I really liked them in the previous book.

Eventually, the action started to happen, and I got more and more excited about this book. There wasn’t a lot of ‘big’ action like in the last book, but the last couple of pages made me sob like a small child whose ice-cream had just fallen on the ground. This only made me want to read the third book even more, even though that won’t come out until March next year (!!!!!!)

Out of all the characters, and not counting the ghost-squad (aka Boo, Callum and Stephen), I liked Jazza the most, because she was just so relaxed around Rory, not really fuzzing about her, and I just liked the fact that she knits when she’s nervous (I just like people who have the patience to knit). Charlotte got her place in the ‘characters I like’ category as well, because she changed since the last book (I guess that bang in the head did something good to her). And I just felt pretty bad for her during the last parts of the book, she got abducted by these crazy people and they still haven’t found her by the end of the book, and I hope that she’s alright because omg.

Like I said earlier, the last couple of pages made me cry, and I think people who’ve read the book know what I am talking about, and I just have one question for the writer: Why?! WHY?!?!?!?!?!

There wasn’t really anything I disliked about the book, except maybe for the lack of action, but hey you can’t have everything you like in one book! ( )
  october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
WOW. wow. wow wow okay so i read the name of the star like like a freaking long while ago and i spotted the name of the star and its sequel book the madness underneath in the library so i thought why the hell not. now i don’t even like paranormal books under normal circumstances, but i enjoyed these the first time around.

a bit about name of the star first. it would have worked very well as a stand-alone novel and i was a little hesitant to read the second one because the first one was so good, but this one. oh, man, this one stepped it up a lot.

the jack the ripper thing was completely done way with but following that was something even worse and entirely more creepy. oh, god. i’m not going to spoil it but i did not see that coming. i did see a little bit coming, like the fact that rory was going to kiss stephen, but i did not see the other thing about stephen coming. (i also know what the coma scale is hahahahahaahahahahahaha ease the pain of this book hahahahaahah)

so let’s see. i liked jazza a lot in the first book and was kind of sad that she seemed to be more absent in this one, but it makes sense, because jazza is supposed to be “normal” and rory is not. i did not like jane. i thought she was really creepy and warning lights rang in my head some of the time when she was onscreen, and i should have paid more attention to those warning lights.

i liked the portrayal of post traumatic stress. rory’s voice is great and she really manages to get it across well. i liked charlotte a lot, actually, a lot more than i did in the first book. (cliffhanger oh god cliffhanger.)

now, the plot. it started out slow and then started escalating, slow at first, and then it shot up. it shot up and i did not see that coming, and then things happened and there was barely any rest until the book ended and i’m really anxious for the next one and i don’t even like ghosts.
see, this book is just - oh god. i’m catatonic with anxiety.

i guess i’d recommend this for anyone who likes paranormal, because it is a really good paranormal book, wow, and it’s like a 9.5/10, because while it was not perfect, it was very very close. like, seriously. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
If you want this one to be just as exciting and thrilling as the first, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. But I often find that if you have blown-out-of-the-water expectations of the first book in a series, you will always be disappointed in the next. That is not to say that this is not good - because I did enjoy reading it. I did find Rory a bit irritating at first, which I don't remember doing while reading the Name of the Star. Perhaps it's because I really don't like Jerome and it bothers me when she spends time with him. The plot twist with Jane (spoilers beware) I did see coming - not its exact nature, but I knew something was fishy about her, and it was only confirmed when she convinced Rory the only option was for her to run away. I also wasn't surprised at the kiss between Rory and Stephen - it simultaneously felt like it had been built up for so long, and yet that it also happened rather quickly? If there was more build-up on Rory's end (not just reading between the lines build-up) I think it would have been more believable. Just like last time, I find myself incredibly upset that Stephen is put in danger near the end - and I don't even like Stephen that much, but Maureen has a way of making me fear for his life everytime he does something dangerous/reckless. I still wish that Jazza was in it more, although I have come around to not being irritated at Boo. And Alistair, I think we can all use more of him. ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |
This installment felt chaotic and disappointed in itself. It is so clearly the beginning / middle of a story with absolutely nothing resolved at the end, very different from the first book. There were moments when the vernacular was overdone, stretching for believable speech and not quite reaching it. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
I was entirely unprepared for this one. I enjoyed the first book, it was fun and had what I thought was a great idea behind it. This one started a little slow and went to a weird place that I didn't expect. Then those last 30 pages or so. I was not prepared for that and for what it did. I'm not going to spoil it, but I will say have all the books there with you. You'll want to jump straight into book three. ( )
  Adilinaria | Aug 11, 2017 |
For my friend, the real Alexander Newman, who would never let a tiny thing like having twelve strokes get the better of him. When I grow up, I want to be you. (Maybe without the twelve strokes? You know what I mean.)
Charlie Strong liked his customers - you don't run a pub for twenty-one years if you don't like your customers - but there was something about the quiet in the morning that pleased him to no end.

"After her near-fatal run-in with the Jack the Ripper copycat, Rory Devereaux is back in London to help solve a new string of inexplicable deaths plaguing the city"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible