Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Cheesy fun. Reminded me of the mid 90s Christopher Pike books I used to enjoy. Nothing groundbreaking, or even really surprising, but a solid little suspense book. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
This book really surprised me. Because the summary said stuff about boys and ‘their school’s most eligible bachelor’, I had expected it to be full of romance stuff, but it was a proper mystery novel which I liked very much!

The Characters – There are ten characters in this book, like the title says; Meg, Minnie, T.J., Gunner, Ben, Kumiko, Vivian, Lori, Kenny, and Nathan. I am not going to spoil the book by telling which of these characters die, of course, but I did find myself laughing out loud when after a while I realized there were only seven left (which is my favourite band, haha). In the end, when it was announced who the murderer was, it surprised me a lot, because I had never expected it of that person. Of course, when this happens, people start panicking, and blaming each other; and that really annoyed me, but that’s good, because that means that the characters felt real. I had this too when I watched the Doctor Who episode ‘Midnight’ in which a group of people get stranded in a vehicle on a planet made out of diamonds, and something from the outside wants to get in.

All these characters felt so real to me, though I never really got sad when another one of them had died. I just wanted to know who the killer was, and I really hoped the book wouldn’t end with all the ten teenagers dead.

The Romance – Like I said before, I had expected it to be full of romance, with Meg and Minnie trying to win T.J. for themselves, but it was far from that. Of course, there were moments between Meg and T.J. but those actually made me smile when I read about it. So yes, I ship it.

The Murders – There was a lot of murder going on in this book, of course. And all of them were different, the characters were all murdered in a certain way, which will make sense when you continue reading the book. One was shot through the heart with an arrow, another simply had his/her throat slit, this is going to sound a bit creepy, but I liked reading about the different ways the characters were killed.

The Story – Like I said before, it was a surprising story. I just couldn’t stop reading, and I actually had to force myself to put the book down and eat, sleep or work. It was just such a thrilling story, and perfectly written as well, a real page-turner. I had started to suspect people halfway through the book, and I actually made a list of the characters, how they had died, and I circled the people I suspected. Eventually, I was completely wrong, and I actually said ‘NO WAY’ out loud when I read who’d really done it. And that’s what I like about a book. I have read many predictable books, and that always makes me a bit sad, but I just didn’t find this predictable at all! I loved the writing, and I will certainly read another book by Gretchen McNeil, probably 3:59 because there was a preview of the book in the back of Ten, and I really enjoyed it. ( )
  october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
Enjoyed this YA version of 'And Then There Were None'. Picked the killer but not the circumstances. ( )
  Catigerine | Jun 19, 2017 |
Fast read - same premise as Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians (or And Then There Were None) - but with teens and Northwest Wash island setting. Told from Meg's point of view -one of the teens lured to the island w/her best friend Minnie via an exclusive weekend party invitation from the most popular girl at Kamiak High School. It is a real-page turner; some chapters, the author uses Meg's musings to heighten suspense/foreshadowing, but sometimes it just makes the storyline sag.
Definitely a teen read, mainly girls? because so much is about Meg's struggles to NOT "pine" for T.J., one of the boys also invited, & who Minnie claims as her own. But some of my guy readers read it too, for the plot twists and mystery genre. Comes in at 294 pages -by chap 8, the bored teens play a mysterious DVD that notifies them "Vengeance is mine" with a countdown from 10. By ch 10, the first killing (suicide?!) occurs, so it does build quickly. ( )
  BDartnall | Apr 30, 2017 |
This one was my second read of the month. Keeping up with my horror/thriller/spooky theme of the month. And this one was definetly worth the read. From start to finish I felt like I was watching a slasher film. I kept wondering who was the suspect. And lets just say, I was surprised. I def did not see that coming. I really enjoyed the creepy factors and the setting. It set that anxious feeling. I reccomend this book if your in the mood for a creepy murder book :) ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |

"Ten teens head to a house party at a remote island mansion off the Washington coast . . . only for them to picked off by a killer one by one"--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,533,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible