The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book…

The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book 3) (edition 2012)

by Rick Riordan

Member:desislc
Title:The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book 3)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 608 pages
Tags:Juvenile fiction, series

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

It was great! I absolutely adore Leo. Can't wait for House of Hades! ( )
  KillerCorp | Jul 27, 2015 |
This volume of The Heroes of Olympus series regresses a great deal. It goes for slapstick humor rather than wit, spends several hundred pages ping-ponging from one monster of the day to another, and, worst of all, treats all nine protagonists as one-dimensional caricatures of the well-defined characters they were in previous books. ( )
  wanack | May 18, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading the next installment of Percy's story. I was surprised by how little I know about the Roman Gods and Goddesses. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
In the third book of the second Olympians series, we finally see Annabeth come to the fore as she undertakes an adventure separate from the newly assembled super-team of demigods that the past two installments of the series have been constructing. The team is off to the old world to solve the problem of the awakening earth, but Annabeth has a special, Athena-related mission that she must accomplish alone. That test is some of the best work in the novel, as the story unfolds in pieces from several different third-person limited perspectives, including Annabeth's own. This is an expansion of Riordan's experiment with a narrative told in multiple voices, though the shift to limited third here works better than the multiple-firsts he tried in the Kane Chronicles. The result is an orderly pattern, stories layered on experiences, that keep the reader moving swiftly through the story, overlapping viewpoints without bogging us down or making us feel like we've heard all this before (which, basically, we have).

As the middle book of an ambitious series, this novel has no resolution to offer, even though the smaller adventures within it feel mostly complete. In fact, there is a literal cliffhanger, so brace yourselves. You can't read this book without the others. ( )
  beserene | Feb 12, 2015 |
Description: In The Son of Neptune, Percy, Hazel, and Frank met in Camp Jupiter, the Roman equivalent of Camp Halfblood, and traveled to the land beyond the gods to complete a dangerous quest. The third book in the Heroes of Olympus series will unite them with Jason, Piper, and Leo. But they number only six--who will complete the Prophecy of Seven?

The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land to find the Doors of Death. What exactly are the Doors of Death? Much of the prophecy remains a mystery. . . .

With old friends and new friends joining forces, a marvelous ship, fearsome foes, and an exotic setting, The Mark of Athena promises to be another unforgettable adventure by master storyteller Rick Riordan.

Thoughts: I've really enjoyed the Olympian books over the last couple of years. The Percy Jackson series was good and I've found the Heroes of Olympus books to be even better. So I've been eagerly anticipating this third installment, mostly because I knew Annabeth had to have a staring role.

But something about this book is off. I think it might be the relationship drama/dynamics. The most annoying is Piper's constantly worrying over her relationship with Jason, who comes off as a bit of a doofus in this one (I think more because he's not one of the characters that lead chapters in this one than anything else). However, Annabeth and Percy's relationship is not immune to the icky, clingy stuff of teenage love. It feels a bit more worthy of the emotional wobbles since they've been separated and Percy has been missing, but it didn't feel that true to the pair of them.

Throw all of that into the racing pace that Riordan is known for and you kind of get a jumble of angst, overly fast resolution of action, and a lot of "well, hmm." Which didn't overly excite me, even though I sped right through the book.

I think I'm starting to see that this series isn't going to reach the promise I thought it would and is rather going to be a bit of a repeat of the last series. Which is ok. It's just not all that exciting.

Rating: 3.1

Liked: 3
Plot: 3
Characterization: 3.5
Writing: 3

https://www.librarything.com/topic/142777#3642097 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 15, 2015 |
In the mark of Athena percy and his friends have to find the statue of athena. They try to make friends with camp jupiter and ghosts control Leo into starting war for camp jupiter. These same ghosts in the story control Percy and Jason into a big fight with each other. Percy and jason feel useless in one point of the book, cause golden boy is way to good for them in a sword fight. They meet hercales to get into the ancient lands and they have to tear a bulls horn off. Then as thy are leaving annabeth shoots food out of the horn and traps heracules in food.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiahl.b4

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Speedy
Strays and wanderers are often sent by the gods.
Until she met the exploding statue, Annabeth thought she was prepared for anything.

Annabeth is terrified.
Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy =- after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera - it looks lIke Camp Jupiter is preparing for war.

As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. with its steaming bronze dragon figurehead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors form Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. IN her pocket, Annabeth carries a gift form her mother that came from an unnerving command: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighted down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find - and close - the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy may have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader - but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different Demigods, the Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare...

From jacket cover. Putting it back on, discovered there's a cut out of the Argos II under the back flap with instructions on how to build your very own Argos II.

"The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land--Greece itself--to find the Doors of Death"--

710 wanted5 pay7 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,414,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible