The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book…

The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book 3) (edition 2012)

by Rick Riordan

Member:desislc
Title:The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book 3)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 608 pages
Tags:Juvenile fiction, series

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

In the third book of the second Olympians series, we finally see Annabeth come to the fore as she undertakes an adventure separate from the newly assembled super-team of demigods that the past two installments of the series have been constructing. The team is off to the old world to solve the problem of the awakening earth, but Annabeth has a special, Athena-related mission that she must accomplish alone. That test is some of the best work in the novel, as the story unfolds in pieces from several different third-person limited perspectives, including Annabeth's own. This is an expansion of Riordan's experiment with a narrative told in multiple voices, though the shift to limited third here works better than the multiple-firsts he tried in the Kane Chronicles. The result is an orderly pattern, stories layered on experiences, that keep the reader moving swiftly through the story, overlapping viewpoints without bogging us down or making us feel like we've heard all this before (which, basically, we have).

As the middle book of an ambitious series, this novel has no resolution to offer, even though the smaller adventures within it feel mostly complete. In fact, there is a literal cliffhanger, so brace yourselves. You can't read this book without the others. ( )
  beserene | Feb 12, 2015 |
Description: In The Son of Neptune, Percy, Hazel, and Frank met in Camp Jupiter, the Roman equivalent of Camp Halfblood, and traveled to the land beyond the gods to complete a dangerous quest. The third book in the Heroes of Olympus series will unite them with Jason, Piper, and Leo. But they number only six--who will complete the Prophecy of Seven?

The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land to find the Doors of Death. What exactly are the Doors of Death? Much of the prophecy remains a mystery. . . .

With old friends and new friends joining forces, a marvelous ship, fearsome foes, and an exotic setting, The Mark of Athena promises to be another unforgettable adventure by master storyteller Rick Riordan.

Thoughts: I've really enjoyed the Olympian books over the last couple of years. The Percy Jackson series was good and I've found the Heroes of Olympus books to be even better. So I've been eagerly anticipating this third installment, mostly because I knew Annabeth had to have a staring role.

But something about this book is off. I think it might be the relationship drama/dynamics. The most annoying is Piper's constantly worrying over her relationship with Jason, who comes off as a bit of a doofus in this one (I think more because he's not one of the characters that lead chapters in this one than anything else). However, Annabeth and Percy's relationship is not immune to the icky, clingy stuff of teenage love. It feels a bit more worthy of the emotional wobbles since they've been separated and Percy has been missing, but it didn't feel that true to the pair of them.

Throw all of that into the racing pace that Riordan is known for and you kind of get a jumble of angst, overly fast resolution of action, and a lot of "well, hmm." Which didn't overly excite me, even though I sped right through the book.

I think I'm starting to see that this series isn't going to reach the promise I thought it would and is rather going to be a bit of a repeat of the last series. Which is ok. It's just not all that exciting.

Rating: 3.1

Liked: 3
Plot: 3
Characterization: 3.5
Writing: 3

https://www.librarything.com/topic/142777#3642097 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 15, 2015 |
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

I should most definitely be a sobbing mess right now. That’s obviously what Riordan intended with that ending. The problem? I was waiting for it. And I don’t mean I was waiting for some sort of unidentified pain. I was waiting for the ending as it happened. Unfortunately, the one spoiler I knew about this series was the ending of The Mark of Athena. Womp womp. As such, The Mark of Athena, though fun as ever, wasn’t really an emotional read because the whole time I was going “it’s YOU, isn’t it?” (And, no, I won’t spoil the ending for others: look forward to some sort of pain.

In some ways, this is definitely my favorite of the series thus far. This book is primarily about Annabeth, which obviously is boss, because Annabeth is a boss bitch. It’s also the cutest Percabeth has ever gotten to be. I mean, Annabeth kisses Percy and then beats him up when they finally see each other again and it’s so perfect. Also there’s this one scene on the trireme which is super great. The fact that Annabeth loves him for being a bit of a doofus so she can be the smart one is so apparent and they’re fitting together so well.

Then there’s Annabeth’s quest. I like that she had her own shit to do. Annabeth got to lead a quest before, but even so it was more of a group effort. I think, of all of them, she gets the least chance to show off, since so many of the challenges are physical and Annabeth, though useful in a scrap, is more the brains of the operation. I like that Percy couldn’t protect her from this, much as he wanted to do so.

I’m a bit torn on the group dynamic. On the one hand, I’m loving that they’re coming to like each other. The tenuous connection between Frank and Leo is one of my favorite things. There’s also a lot of struggling with coming to terms with the fact that no one hero is THE hero. Jason and Percy are most afflicted with this, but all of them occasionally feel like they’re useless. Logically, I like this a lot, but I also got annoyed with it, since every one of them did a lot on the quest. There’s also a lot of space for more bonding still. Percy and Annabeth are pretty insular, as are Piper and Jason.

Leo still annoys me a bit, but also I feel so bad for him. He’s the seventh wheel on the ship of his own devising. He does not get appreciated as much as he should. That was finally starting to change by the end of the book, but he’s still the only demigod not in a couple, unless he decides to hook up with Hedge. Speaking of Hedge, why is he here? I thought there were only supposed to be seven on this quest? He makes eight. Do satyrs not count? Why not bring more creatures then if non-demigods don’t count?

My biggest struggle continues to be Piper and Leo, who I like even less than I did in The Lost Hero. They’re such wet blankets. I mean, Piper spends the WHOLE FUCKING BOOK being jealous of Reyna, even though Jason said he wasn’t into Reyna early on. Listen up, kids. That’s not healthy. You’re doomed. Break up. Piper chapters are painful chapters. Also, why don’t Jason, Hazel or Frank have chapters?

I’m really excited for The House of Hades, especially since I have no idea what’s going to happen in that one, except for lots of pain, which YES. The ending of The Mark of Athena was definitely awesome, if only I hadn’t been prepared for it. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Jan 9, 2015 |
(5.0)
  mshampson | Nov 13, 2014 |
This book focused a lot on Annabeth and her quest to fulfill an old prophecy. Just like always, I am never disappointed with Rick Riordan's books. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Oct 11, 2014 |
In the mark of Athena percy and his friends have to find the statue of athena. They try to make friends with camp jupiter and ghosts control Leo into starting war for camp jupiter. These same ghosts in the story control Percy and Jason into a big fight with each other. Percy and jason feel useless in one point of the book, cause golden boy is way to good for them in a sword fight. They meet hercales to get into the ancient lands and they have to tear a bulls horn off. Then as thy are leaving annabeth shoots food out of the horn and traps heracules in food.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiahl.b4

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Speedy
Strays and wanderers are often sent by the gods.
Until she met the exploding statue, Annabeth thought she was prepared for anything.

Annabeth is terrified.
Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy =- after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera - it looks lIke Camp Jupiter is preparing for war.

As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. with its steaming bronze dragon figurehead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors form Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. IN her pocket, Annabeth carries a gift form her mother that came from an unnerving command: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighted down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find - and close - the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy may have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader - but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different Demigods, the Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare...

From jacket cover. Putting it back on, discovered there's a cut out of the Argos II under the back flap with instructions on how to build your very own Argos II.

"The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land--Greece itself--to find the Doors of Death"--

637 wanted5 pay7 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,748,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible