The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

The Mark of Athena (edition 2012)

by Rick Riordan, Joshua Swanson (Narrator)

Member:readergirl1206
Title:The Mark of Athena
Authors:Rick Riordan
Other authors:Joshua Swanson (Narrator)
Info:Random House (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Rating:*****

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

There are major spoilers ahead... so if you havent read the book, DON'T READ THIS REVIEW AND READ THE BOOK!

Oh lord! How am I supposed to read another book in my life! There's no way I can recover from this book. ARGH!

Okay, so seriously. This book was really intense. I felt like I betrayed the book everytime I blinked. It says here on goodreads that I started reading it on December 10... I actually startd reading it today... Once I started it I really couldn't put it down. A conversation with my mind went like this:

Mind: Maybe you stop reading... get some air... eat.
Me: No , but thank you for the suggestion.
Mind: Are you sure? I mean, you can catch up on Once Upon a Time episodes on your computer, I know it's your favorite show...
Me: But, but... look at Percabeth! And look at what just happened! I can't just leave it there! Besides, I'm already at page 200, almost halfway. I might as well finish it!
Mind:
Me:
Mind:
Me: *passes a page*
Mind: DID YOU JUST READ WHAT HAPPENED THERE?! HURRY UP AND READ FASTER!

So, you see I couldn't just stop reading. This book started right where Son of Neptune left off. Literally. The powerful seven demigods finally meet. Everything was amazing and the PERCABETH REUNION WAS JUST TOO ADORABLE! But after that, the demigods were immediately thrown into action and sent to begin their quest. But since the gods of Olympus (or Rick Riordan, same difference) always have something up their sleeve, this wasn't the only thing the demigds would be doing. Annabeth, a protagonist of this story, is given a task: to avenge her mother and follow the "Mark of Athena". And of course, loyalties are put to the test and many weaknesses are explored, and, there's always the presence of a fast approaching deadline. The heroes in this book faced death 90% of the time, the other 9% they were probably: A)Trying to recover from injuries, B)Trying to decipher the many tasks and prophecies handed to them, C)Encountoring different minor gods that could "help" or D)Exploring their romantic lives.

WHAT KIND OF ENDING WAS THAT? That ending had to be one of the most horrifyingly, despair filled "cliffhangers" that have ever existed. I both hate and love Rick Riordan.

I have some opinions:

First: Is Annabeth really the seventh one in the prophecy? I mean, Jason, Piper, Leo, Percy, Hazel and Frank are for sure, but Annabeth has never been told by Juno: "Yo! child of Athena, I kno' you be busy with yo' own problems and shiz, but Imma be needing a favor from you. You might die and all, but no worries girl, at least you gon' have your sexy seaweed brain wi' yu, so everythin's a'ight now". Okay, Juno doesn't talk this way, but seriously, ever since the first book, I've been wanting to bash her head in with a giant rock. I kind of imagined Reyna beng the 7th one, so she and Frank (because I have high hopes for Leo/Hazel although the Sammy thing is pretty creepy) can be together... or she could be with Leo... but it wouldn't look... good.

Second: PERCY IS MUCH BETTER THAN JASON IN EVERY SINGLE WAY. Percy's more attractive, he fights better, he has a better personality, he isn't a useless idiot that faints everytime there's a major battle going on and... HE DOESN'T TOY WITH A GIRLS FEELINGS IF HE'S CONFUSED.

Third: I really didn't like Piper in this book. She acted as if Jason was her lifeline, that without him she couldn't function. Before anyone starts saying that Annabeth and Percy were the same, let me stop you there. Annabeth was searching for Percy for months, fearing the worst. Percy mentioned in the book that Annabeth made him a better person. Good. BUT AT LEAST THEY COULD STILL FUNCTION AND CONCENTRATE ON THE QUEST WHEN THEY WERE APART! All Piper could think about when Jason wasn't around was: "When can I see Jason again?" "Am I good enough for him?" HE ISNT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU! IDIOT!

Fourth: I really miss Grover... I'm hoping he appears in THoH, because it would be really nice to see Percy, Annabeth and Grover together again.

Fifth: I WANT TO MARRY RICK RIORDAN's BRAIN!

Sixth: WAIT! MAYBE LEO COULD BE WITH ECHO! I mean, she's not a demigod, but does that matter? That way Frank Zhang isn't hurt and the "loe triangle" is eliminated! That would be just perfect :D

Seventh: HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT UNTIL FALL 2013?!

Eighth: I'M AWARE THIS ISN'T A REAL REVIEW AND I DON'T CARE SO LEAVE ME ALONE TO GATHER MY THOUGHTS AND GET OVER MY BOOK HANGOVER. ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
This volume of The Heroes of Olympus series regresses a great deal. It goes for slapstick humor rather than wit, spends several hundred pages ping-ponging from one monster of the day to another, and, worst of all, treats all nine protagonists as one-dimensional caricatures of the well-defined characters they were in previous books. ( )
  wanack | May 18, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading the next installment of Percy's story. I was surprised by how little I know about the Roman Gods and Goddesses. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
In the third book of the second Olympians series, we finally see Annabeth come to the fore as she undertakes an adventure separate from the newly assembled super-team of demigods that the past two installments of the series have been constructing. The team is off to the old world to solve the problem of the awakening earth, but Annabeth has a special, Athena-related mission that she must accomplish alone. That test is some of the best work in the novel, as the story unfolds in pieces from several different third-person limited perspectives, including Annabeth's own. This is an expansion of Riordan's experiment with a narrative told in multiple voices, though the shift to limited third here works better than the multiple-firsts he tried in the Kane Chronicles. The result is an orderly pattern, stories layered on experiences, that keep the reader moving swiftly through the story, overlapping viewpoints without bogging us down or making us feel like we've heard all this before (which, basically, we have).

As the middle book of an ambitious series, this novel has no resolution to offer, even though the smaller adventures within it feel mostly complete. In fact, there is a literal cliffhanger, so brace yourselves. You can't read this book without the others. ( )
  beserene | Feb 12, 2015 |
Description: In The Son of Neptune, Percy, Hazel, and Frank met in Camp Jupiter, the Roman equivalent of Camp Halfblood, and traveled to the land beyond the gods to complete a dangerous quest. The third book in the Heroes of Olympus series will unite them with Jason, Piper, and Leo. But they number only six--who will complete the Prophecy of Seven?

The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land to find the Doors of Death. What exactly are the Doors of Death? Much of the prophecy remains a mystery. . . .

With old friends and new friends joining forces, a marvelous ship, fearsome foes, and an exotic setting, The Mark of Athena promises to be another unforgettable adventure by master storyteller Rick Riordan.

Thoughts: I've really enjoyed the Olympian books over the last couple of years. The Percy Jackson series was good and I've found the Heroes of Olympus books to be even better. So I've been eagerly anticipating this third installment, mostly because I knew Annabeth had to have a staring role.

But something about this book is off. I think it might be the relationship drama/dynamics. The most annoying is Piper's constantly worrying over her relationship with Jason, who comes off as a bit of a doofus in this one (I think more because he's not one of the characters that lead chapters in this one than anything else). However, Annabeth and Percy's relationship is not immune to the icky, clingy stuff of teenage love. It feels a bit more worthy of the emotional wobbles since they've been separated and Percy has been missing, but it didn't feel that true to the pair of them.

Throw all of that into the racing pace that Riordan is known for and you kind of get a jumble of angst, overly fast resolution of action, and a lot of "well, hmm." Which didn't overly excite me, even though I sped right through the book.

I think I'm starting to see that this series isn't going to reach the promise I thought it would and is rather going to be a bit of a repeat of the last series. Which is ok. It's just not all that exciting.

Rating: 3.1

Liked: 3
Plot: 3
Characterization: 3.5
Writing: 3

https://www.librarything.com/topic/142777#3642097 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 15, 2015 |
In the mark of Athena percy and his friends have to find the statue of athena. They try to make friends with camp jupiter and ghosts control Leo into starting war for camp jupiter. These same ghosts in the story control Percy and Jason into a big fight with each other. Percy and jason feel useless in one point of the book, cause golden boy is way to good for them in a sword fight. They meet hercales to get into the ancient lands and they have to tear a bulls horn off. Then as thy are leaving annabeth shoots food out of the horn and traps heracules in food.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiahl.b4

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Speedy
Strays and wanderers are often sent by the gods.
Until she met the exploding statue, Annabeth thought she was prepared for anything.

Annabeth is terrified.
Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy =- after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera - it looks lIke Camp Jupiter is preparing for war.

As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. with its steaming bronze dragon figurehead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors form Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. IN her pocket, Annabeth carries a gift form her mother that came from an unnerving command: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighted down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find - and close - the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy may have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader - but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different Demigods, the Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare...

From jacket cover. Putting it back on, discovered there's a cut out of the Argos II under the back flap with instructions on how to build your very own Argos II.

"The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land--Greece itself--to find the Doors of Death"--

710 wanted5 pay7 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,435,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible