The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

The Mark of Athena (edition 2012)

by Rick Riordan, Joshua Swanson (Narrator)

Member:readergirl1206
Title:The Mark of Athena
Authors:Rick Riordan
Other authors:Joshua Swanson (Narrator)
Info:Random House (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Rating:*****

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

Why end like that? :( My two favorite persons fell into Tartarus and I don't have anything to do but to wait for the next book. House of Hades, puhlease? ♥ ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
I loved this book. Rick Riordan is one of my favorite authors. His books have plenty of action, but they're also so relaxing to read. I enjoyed it every time I picked it up. That's the main thing, every time I picked it up. I read it out of leisure. I wasn't anxious to speed through, because I wanted to enjoy it. I am excited to read the next book because he left it at such a cliffhanger. Keep up the great work! ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Barnacles! This book ends with a BIG cliffhanger, and the subsequent book 'The House Of Hades' does not come out until Fall 2013. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
This book is very entertaining and keeps you wanting to read more. 5Q4P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this book for middle school and high school students as well as adults. I chose to read this book because I had read the two first books in the series, and I'm interested in Greek mythology. EmmaM
  edspicer | Jul 5, 2014 |
The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan is the third of the Heroes of Olympus series. Annabeth is finally reunited with Percy at Camp Jupiter but their reunion is enough to bring the camp to the brink of war.

I guess straight up quests, even ones based on previous Greek or Roman classics, are getting a little dull. This quest has trouble getting going because the characters keep being possessed and made to act way out of character. Instead of the other members wising up to this problem, they always seem completely surprised by it.

Doing away with the spin the bottle approach to possession, the quest is the standard stuff we've come to expect from Percy and company. There's a ticking deadline before Gaea will awake. The Scooby Gang has to get to the actual Mount Olympus, not the Manhattan stand-in and save the world from well, the world.

As part of this journey, Annabeth must deal with her personal demons as she tries to solve the riddle of the Mark of Athena. It's a big, honking, long hidden clue that they now desperately need. So she ends up going on a side quest that stretches her character to the breaking point and made me wish she could tag team with Hermione Granger. Along the way, though, I did learn a thing or two about some ancient Roman customs that ended up being very useful for when I was reading I am John, I am Paul by Mark Tedesco.

I understand the need to break from formula. It gets boring for writer and reader. But the breaks didn't work for me in The Mark of Athena. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 17, 2014 |
In the mark of Athena percy and his friends have to find the statue of athena. They try to make friends with camp jupiter and ghosts control Leo into starting war for camp jupiter. These same ghosts in the story control Percy and Jason into a big fight with each other. Percy and jason feel useless in one point of the book, cause golden boy is way to good for them in a sword fight. They meet hercales to get into the ancient lands and they have to tear a bulls horn off. Then as thy are leaving annabeth shoots food out of the horn and traps heracules in food.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiahl.b4

Riordan, Rickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Speedy
Strays and wanderers are often sent by the gods.
Until she met the exploding statue, Annabeth thought she was prepared for anything.

Annabeth is terrified.
Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy =- after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera - it looks lIke Camp Jupiter is preparing for war.

As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. with its steaming bronze dragon figurehead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors form Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. IN her pocket, Annabeth carries a gift form her mother that came from an unnerving command: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighted down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find - and close - the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy may have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader - but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different Demigods, the Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare...

From jacket cover. Putting it back on, discovered there's a cut out of the Argos II under the back flap with instructions on how to build your very own Argos II.

"The Greek and Roman demigods will have to cooperate in order to defeat the giants released by the Earth Mother, Gaea. Then they will have to sail together to the ancient land--Greece itself--to find the Doors of Death"--

637 wanted4 pay7 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible