The Rising by Kelley Armstrong

ahhhh! So good. Love it.
I dragged it out for so long because I didn't want it to end.
Such a good story.

She needs to write more. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
The Rising is the final book in the Darkness Rising series. After reading all three books in the series, I really think it could have all been edited down into one book and it might have been a little better. I did enjoy the story, but the ending felt a little anticlimactic to me. Armstrong really painted herself into a corner because of the way the events of the story were built and the development of the issues the characters faced. However, the emotions were high in the story and the ending was satisfying. ( )
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |
After escaping certain death, Maya, Corey and Daniel are on the run and each are further developing their own powers with mixed results. They do some investigation and find a contact that might be able to help them but it turns into a dead end. Although out of that contact, they do find Maya's twin brother, Ash. Ash turns out to be as gifted as Maya. although not a shifter, he does give them some street skills from surviving on his own in Vancouver for the last three years.

The characters are well written and likeable and leave you wanting to know more even at the end. It's comsided a young adult book, but I have read this entire series and really enjoyed it. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The Rising ends not only the Darkness Rising trilogy but is sort of an epilogue to the earlier Darkest Powers trilogy. Maya gets to deal with some members of her biological family. Loved her comment when she met her brother. (He richly deserved it.) I feel really sorry for their biological father, Calvin Antone. He got a raw deal from the St. Cloud Cabal and it's not certain that the Nast Cabal will be much better. Both cabals definitely mishandled the Project Phoenix teens.

At least the information about Project Phoenix explains why Maya and the others are supernatural types not met in the Women of Otherworld series.

We get answers to some questions (finally). There are more captures and escapes. Maya's best friendship with Daniel is threatened. So's her life.

The meeting between the Project Phoenix and Project Genesis subjects was enjoyable. Derek still needs the werewolf equivalent of a tranquilizer. Chloe and Maya get along.

Can these special supernaturals find a way to get their lives back or will the persons who view them as commodities have their way?

Notes:

Chapter 2: Maya's Haida grandmother is a volunteer at the Heritage Center. Project Management is her most recent activity there.

Chapter 3: Maya wonders if they would have been praised as much if they'd done [really lame effort] fundraisers at school instead of what they'd done.

Chapter 4: Maya meets her Grandma.

Chapter 9: Maya finds out what Ash knows and doesn't know about their biological mother.

Chapter 11:

a. Corey tells what he learned about his and two of the girls' supernatural types. He also talks about Silenus and satyrs in mythology.

b. Ash tells what he knows about Project Phoenix. We are not told which two extinct supernatural types they failed to revive.

Chapter 12:

a. The Nasts are the largest Cabal, St. Cloud next to the smallest.

b. Ash and Maya discuss her adoptive mother. He's rude (no surprise).

Chapter 13: Ash explains what led to his conclusion about Maya and Daniel's relationship.

c. The cropped photo of Maya used at the funeral is described.

Chapter 14:

a. Maya boils down their groups' near-escapes jn this trilogy to four sentences.

b. Ash explains why he's mad at his twin. Maya explains why he's wrong.

c. The 'rez rats' insult is probably short for 'reservation rats'.

d. 'Kemosabe' is what Tonto used to call the Lone Ranger in the 1949-1957 TV show and the 1966 cartoon show. I took one look at the makeup foisted on Tonto for the 2013 movie and decided it was a must-miss. The Lone Ranger was so well known when I was a kid that there was a joke about the 'daffynition' of an intellectual was someone who could listen to the 'William Tell Overture' and not think of the Lone Ranger (the theme was also used in plenty of classic short cartoons). There was a joke about a charade involving naked women and the Lone Ranger theme that was considered rather 'dirty' when I was a girl, but wouldn't raise most eyebrows today.

Chapter 17: Maya thinks she was ten before she heard the term 'interracial marriage'. She tells us her mother's explanation about bigots. (Nailed it.)

Chapter 18:

a. Maya remembers her parents' different styles of caring for her when she was sick.

b. Mattias Nast is introduced. We learn he's an arrogant ass before the page is over.

Chapter 19: We get descriptions of the place where the Project Phoenix teens are.

Chapter 20:

a. Maya says she plays a mean game of Mario Kart.
b. Sam makes an explosive comment about Nicole.

Chapter 21:

a. We get Sam and Nicole's versions of their 'cousinly' relationship.

b. Haley admits something wrong that she did before The Gathering started.

Chapter 22: Morena tells 'Miss Maya' that she inherited her killer glare from her daddy (Antone).

Chapter 23: Calvin Antone talks about Maya's biological mother to her. He also explains what happened to Ash and how the late Cyril Mitchell came into it. Then he talks about his own family.

Chapter 24:

a. Mattias Nast's talk about her prospective future to Maya shows he's as clueless as he is arrogant.

b. Maya thinks of the old saying about jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Chapter 25: Maya and Antone talk about what the Nast Cabal wants.

Chapter 26: Sam makes a snark about Rafe when he shows Maya the rooftop gym.

Chapter 27: Maya awakens from a nightmare to find it wasn't all a dream.

Chapter 30:

a. Mattias Nast mentions the Cortez Cabal and has a reaction when an employee tells him his cousin, Josef Nast, ordered something.

b. Dr. Inglis talks about the four North American Cabals (in order of size, they're the Nasts, the Cortezes, the St. Clouds, and the Boyds). She also explains why the Cortez Cabal is considered a significant threat.

c. The driver reminds Dr. Inglis that the Cortez Cabal may be based in Miami, Florida, but they have an office in Seattle, Washington. He also reminds her that Benicio Cortez's heir, Lucas Cortez, lives in Portland. We who have read the Women of Otherworld series know that the driver's information about Lucas is more accurate than Dr. Inglis'.

Chapter 31: As for the recorded message, eating top-secret instructions was easier when they were written on paper. At least Maya wasn't told it would self-destruct after she listened to it, as they sometimes did in old spy TV shows.

Chapter 32: Maya and Hayley listen to the recorded message about Project Genesis.

Chapter 35: Ash tells Maya what Cyril Mitchell believed about Lucas Cortez.

Chapter 36:

a. Hayley mentions the relationship between brushing one's teeth and getting a date to Ash.

b. We find out how the Project Genesis runaways were tracked down.

c. Ash explains to Hayley why she's wanted to approach Project Genesis.

Chapter 37: Rafe talks about Daniel to Maya.

Chapter 38: Darkest Powers trilogy fans, the two groups finally meet. (About time!) (Say, how did they manage to get Simon his insulin while they've been on the run?)

Chapter 39: Chloe makes a snark about the Nast Cabal. Yes, the matter of Derek's dad and the Nasts is something from the earlier trilogy.

Chapter 40:

a. We're told that Victoria Enright is only distantly related to the Nast witch, which is why the names aren't spelled the same.

b. Maya's comparison about the way Tori Enright is watching her and Hayley made me chuckle.

Chapter 41: Maya tells Corey what Rafe told her in chapter 37.

Chapter 42: Corey has a vision. (There are comments Hayley and Tori made about him that are worth a smile.)

Chapter 43: Ash is as paranoid as Derek.

Chapter 45: The other two Project Genesis subjects who were murdered were Brady Hirsch and Amber Long, according to chapter 7 of The Awakening. Chloe talked to Brady's ghost in chapter 3. As a demon told Chloe in chapter 6 of that book, the three other werewolf cubs besides Derek were also murdered.

Chapter 47:

a. Sean's younger half-sister, Savannah Levine, was introduced in Stolen (Women of Otherworld #2). She's also a significant character in books 3 and 4, Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic. Savannah is the main character of books 11-13: Waking the Witch, Spell bound, and Thirteen. She and Paige Winterbourne, wife of Lucas Cortez and heroine of books 3 & 4, both appear in the Subterranean Press novella, Counterfeit Magic.

b. See The Summoning for the meaning behind Derek's snark at the end of the chapter.

Chapter 48: We learn which parents knew about Project Phoenix.

Chapter 49: We learn where each kid will be living. (Frankly, given Nicole's personality, Sam, even with her surliness, must have seemed like a relief to the Tillsons.) Also, Fitz the three-legged bobcat is coming to join the Delaneys.

Epilogue (8 months later):

a. Ash learns Rick Delaney's attitude toward beer in the house.

b. Maya's threats to get Rick and Ash to keep their mitts off her picnic food made me chuckle.

c. The Nast cabal-owned 'town' is first called 'Badger Lake,' but then Maya calls it 'Badger Creek', then it's Badger Lake again.

d. Rachelle Rodgers is the 'Rae' from the 'Darkest Powers' Trilogy. As we learned in chapter 5 of The Awakening, her mother's name is Jacinda. Rae isn't just a fire half-demon, she's an Exustio, the highest level of fire demon.

e. It's Daniel's 17th birthday.

Dog Lovers get to rejoice in the return of Maya's German Shepherd, Kenjii.

Cat lovers get to enjoy Maya as a cougar. ( )
  JalenV | May 14, 2016 |
Maya and her friends are still on the run through the wilds of British Columbia. They have reached out for help and as so often happens, help comes in the most unexpected fashion. Still being chased by the Cabals they learn that sometimes you have to meet problems halfway to solve them.

The last in this young adult trilogy, this book wraps up nicely by not only having an acceptable solution to the unique problems these young people face, but by bringing in some characters from not only Ms. Armstrong’s previous young adult series but also from the “Women of the Otherworld” series. Ms. Armstrong has stated that her adult “Otherworld” series is complete but its still nice to get a peek into a world that I have read about for so long.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
For Julia
I WAS RUNNING THROUGH the forest.
[All the girls have been put in Tori's bedroom. Chloe is supposed to be with them, but isn't.]

That left me with Hayley and Victoria -- Tori, as everyone called her. She sat cross-legged on her bed, watching us like (sic) we were stray cats someone had stuck in her room -- strays that were liable to pee on her ankle boots and shed all over her designer jeans. (chapter 40)

"The race for survival comes to a thrilling conclusion when Maya and her friends--who all have supernatural powers--find help against the Cabals from unexpected places"--Provided by publisher.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,916,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible