Level 2 (Memory Chronicles) by Lenore…

Level 2 (Memory Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Lenore Appelhans

1962560,038 (3.32)7
Member:rjmoir
Title:Level 2 (Memory Chronicles)
Authors:Lenore Appelhans
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*1/2

Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans

Recently added bystrongasanoak, ku.

When I saw the summary for Level 2 back in early December, my reaction went something like this: “Yes! I have to have this ASAP! This is such a me book! Why has no one put this book in my hands yet? So, when is the release date? Still over a month away? How ever can I make it that long?”. As you might imagine, Level 2 quickly became one of the top books I was looking forward to this year, so I got a hold of it as soon as I could, and I’m so glad I did.

I was really hoping this would be a five star book, but it didn’t quite make it to that point. There were a few things I had issues with, so I’ll get those out of the way before I squeal over all the parts I did love. First, Felicia, our main character, doesn’t think highly of herself, and this gets quite annoying after a while. Her thoughts about her past seem to be completely self-deprecating and on the lines of “I’m the worst person ever!”. As the story progresses, it becomes clear that Felicia’s made plenty of mistakes, including some pretty major ones, but her constant hatred of herself seems a little overboard and is hard to read after a bit. This gets better towards the end.

My final complaint is that while the book does suck you in, it takes awhile for the main plot to actually start. Most of the beginning is spent in Felicia’s memories. These become necessary to the plot later on, but when it’s not clear how, it seems a bit unnecessary to spend so much time reliving some of Felicia’s experiences. Once the plot really takes off, even the quality of the memories seems to improve.

All right, now that my complaints are out of the way, I can focus on what I do love about this novel. To begin with, the concept. Why aren’t there more books that take place in the afterlife? There’s so many things you can explore there. I’m now convinced that Lenore Appelhans must have found my 10th grade creative writing project in which I wrote a short story about a girl who dies in a car wreck to find the afterlife is a large room with a TV and a DVD player, and you watch a DVD of your life over and over until you get to the point of your death, then the cycle starts all over again, but you don’t remember you’ve already watched your life. Level 2 definitely has a similar vein, at least for awhile, which just made me love it even more.

I’ve read some reviews that state Neil, Felicia’s love interest, seems a little too perfect, and while I think that’s a valid criticism, I actually do know people like Neil, so I can’t say it’s exactly unrealistic. I really like the exploration of Felicia’s and Neil’s relationship. Felicia grows a lot during it, but I feel like there was a good balance of having Neil be a catalyst for Felicia to come to terms with herself while not being the only reason. It can be a bit dangerous to play with the “boy saves the girl” device, but I thought it worked fairly well in the story.

I’m not sure why, considering this story is about the afterlife, but I didn’t expect religion to play such a large role in the story. It fits well by the end, but Felicia’s memories of things like youth groups and meeting Neil at church just seem so normal despite the premise and setting of the story. I really like the plot about the war and the last fifty pages of this book definitely kept me turning the pages as new twists kept being revealed!

Final Impression: Despite a few things I disliked throughout the book, for the most part Level 2 kept me entertaining and wanting to know more. It was so refreshing and original with characters I really grew to care about. This book wasn’t at all what I was expecting, but I ended up really liking it anyway. I think it’s a worthy read and has me excited to read Level 3. 4/5 stars. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
There are many issues with Memory Chronicles #01: Level 2 (renamed The Memory of After). Weak, forgettable characters, convenient answers, and little world-building are only some of those issues. In spite of these weaknesses, Level 2 is ambitious and creative. Ms. Appelhans attempts to hybridize science fiction and theology. It is a unique mix of genres that would be more effective with more background information and sympathetic, dynamic characters but is still intriguing. Readers will recognize what she attempts to do and respect her attempts. In addition, she cleverly places hints throughout the story, which only become obvious once she reveals the full story. It is an ingenious ploy to bring continuity to a somewhat confusing plot. In all, Level 2 is not perfect, but it is still entertaining and the climactic ending is exciting. There are many unanswered questions that will leave readers curious about the next installment. Those who are less picky about character development and fully-detailed worlds will enjoy it more than finicky readers, but there are still worse ways to spend a few hours.
  jmchshannon | Jun 1, 2014 |
No one is more shocked than me that I actually liked a book so steeped in Christian mythology (you'll remember I tried to get through Cassandra Clare's first Mortal Instruments novel and abandoned ship less than 100 pages in). I guess a healthy dose of "The Matrix"-like set dressing really helps the medicine go down. I liked Felicia; I thought that she was smart and strong in all respects except the idiotic love triangle that it seems all female YA protags are doomed to live through. The last 50 pages really move F A S T, though, and I was left feeling somewhat distanced from the conclusion because of it.

--Somewhat Spoilery Bit--

I both liked and hated that this book basically has the same ending/message as the anime "Neon Genesis: Evangelion." I guess in a book where the pivot could have been "God did it" there are worse endings than this, which avoids that most chliche of cliches. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
Kind of not my thing, but okay. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
I have to say that I was so excited to get this the other day. With an awesome cover and a synopsis that definitely got my attention, I had to start this the same day. It is told from Felicia’s point of view and takes us through her afterlife and glimpses of her time on Earth. Level 2 is one unique take on afterlife with a science fiction and futuristic feel to it.
Felicia is our protagonist, and even though she might not be the most likable girl. She is flawed and the makes wrong decisions but does take the consequences. And that is one admirable characteristic for her, not to mention that she wants to save people that she cares for. Felicia grew on me, and I really did learn to like her. Her memories that she watched the most were about Neil. She has such a deep love for Neil, who was her boyfriend while on Earth. Their relationship was absolutely adorable and so sweet.
Julian was the other guy in the story that was a love interest at one point and he was a mystery to me till the very end. I thought he had his own agenda all the way through, and boy was I right. But he played a massive role in Felicia’s life on Earth as well as on Level 2. I don’t want to give away to much about him, but I will say that he is one character that I am really looking forward to seeing more of in the next book.
The world building was both complex and fascinating. And the memoirs from Felicia;s life were weaved in so well, that you just wanted to know more. The hives that they lived in were creepy. Buying and living through someone else’s memory is something I couldn’t even imagine. The plot was interesting, with the mythology and religious aspects woven together very well, and characters that were enjoyable, this is a series that I am looking forward to continuing. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |

Seventeen-year-old Felicia Ward is dead and spending her time in the hive reliving her happy memories--but when Julian, a dark memory from her past, breaks into the hive and demands that she come with him, she discovers that even the afterlife is more complicated and dangerous then she dreamed.… (more)

Lenore Appelhans is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

17 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,967,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible