Level 2 (Memory Chronicles) by Lenore…

Level 2 (Memory Chronicles) (edition 2013)

by Lenore Appelhans

168None70,599 (3.38)7
Member:rjmoir
Title:Level 2 (Memory Chronicles)
Authors:Lenore Appelhans
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*1/2

Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans

No one is more shocked than me that I actually liked a book so steeped in Christian mythology (you'll remember I tried to get through Cassandra Clare's first Mortal Instruments novel and abandoned ship less than 100 pages in). I guess a healthy dose of "The Matrix"-like set dressing really helps the medicine go down. I liked Felicia; I thought that she was smart and strong in all respects except the idiotic love triangle that it seems all female YA protags are doomed to live through. The last 50 pages really move F A S T, though, and I was left feeling somewhat distanced from the conclusion because of it.

--Somewhat Spoilery Bit--

I both liked and hated that this book basically has the same ending/message as the anime "Neon Genesis: Evangelion." I guess in a book where the pivot could have been "God did it" there are worse endings than this, which avoids that most chliche of cliches. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
Kind of not my thing, but okay. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
I have to say that I was so excited to get this the other day. With an awesome cover and a synopsis that definitely got my attention, I had to start this the same day. It is told from Felicia’s point of view and takes us through her afterlife and glimpses of her time on Earth. Level 2 is one unique take on afterlife with a science fiction and futuristic feel to it.
Felicia is our protagonist, and even though she might not be the most likable girl. She is flawed and the makes wrong decisions but does take the consequences. And that is one admirable characteristic for her, not to mention that she wants to save people that she cares for. Felicia grew on me, and I really did learn to like her. Her memories that she watched the most were about Neil. She has such a deep love for Neil, who was her boyfriend while on Earth. Their relationship was absolutely adorable and so sweet.
Julian was the other guy in the story that was a love interest at one point and he was a mystery to me till the very end. I thought he had his own agenda all the way through, and boy was I right. But he played a massive role in Felicia’s life on Earth as well as on Level 2. I don’t want to give away to much about him, but I will say that he is one character that I am really looking forward to seeing more of in the next book.
The world building was both complex and fascinating. And the memoirs from Felicia;s life were weaved in so well, that you just wanted to know more. The hives that they lived in were creepy. Buying and living through someone else’s memory is something I couldn’t even imagine. The plot was interesting, with the mythology and religious aspects woven together very well, and characters that were enjoyable, this is a series that I am looking forward to continuing. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
My feelings about Lenore Appelhans' Level 2 are divided... although I felt like this first book in The Memory Chronicles was interesting (enough so that I'll be reading the second book), I also felt that the pace was sometimes too slow or that nothing much was actually happening.

Level 2 focuses on Felicia, who is, as far as she knows, dead and resides in hive-like structure populated by countless more drones (as these dead call themselves) who rarely interact, instead spending their days reliving their memories and the memories of the other drones. The memories are accessed via a pod and are categorized with tags, comparable to the shelf tagging system on GoodReads. In the hives, memories are both the currency and the product. Felicia and her fellow drones have no idea how they've come to be in this place after their deaths, nor do they know what their purpose is... and no one seems all that driven to find any answers.

All this changes, however, when Julian, a boy from Felicia's life, shows up in her hive. It's clear to the reader that Felicia and Julian's past is complicated - and perhaps not all that positive - but Felicia leaves with him after he promises to reunite her with her boyfriend, Neil, who she misses terribly and thinks of constantly. While the readers know very little about Julian, they are well aware of how Felicia feels for Neil, as her favorite and most accessed memories all feature Neil.

I really liked how Appelhans used the memories and tagging system to give the reader more information about Felicia. I felt this was a really creative execution of "show not tell" and allowed the author to give character history and detail while simultaneously explaining the world of Level 2.

One of the only reasons that I didn't love, love Level 2 was the pacing. As I read, I sometimes felt like there was detail where it wasn't necessary. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I really felt that there were too many scenes of Julian and Felicia running and fleeing and describing the many hives they passed. There were times when I thought to myself: when is something going to happen??

Other than the pacing, I found Level 2 really interesting. I'm especially curious about Julian, who Felicia appears to think so little of, but I can't help but wonder about. Appelhans did a great job of giving just enough information about characters and events that the reader is left curious and hungry for more detail, so I'm hoping the second book answers some of my questions! ( )
  thehidingspot | Aug 21, 2013 |
Sometimes I wish Goodreads allowed half stars, because my rating is really somewhere between a three and a four. I thought Applehans did an excellent job with the plot and world-building of Level 2, as her version of the after-life is one of the more unique ones that I have come across.

I thought it clever of her to construct a story driven mostly by the maim character reliving memories and I give Applehans major props for teasing us with just enough information with each memory to whet our appetites. I really enjoyed getting to know Felicia and Neil through these memories and watching their love story unfurl through their happy times and rough spots.

The weakest link in this story had to be Julian for me. His declaration at the end of the book honestly caught me completely off-guard, as he came off as a total creeper in Felicia's memories. I'm willing to admit, though, that my perception of Julian could be colored by Felicia viewing her times with him and the resulting aftermath as some of the lowest times in her short life, as he doesn't seem like all that bad of a guy while in Level 2 (just a bit forward).

The ending was very much something I did not see coming,though looking back, the clues were there had I simply been more observant. The climax of the story did seem a bit rushed and I wished the author would have taken a bit more time to explain things a bit.

Overall, an interesting book and I'm looking forward to seeing where Applehans takes these characters in the next addition. ( )
  Cailiosa | Apr 5, 2013 |

Seventeen-year-old Felicia Ward is dead and spending her time in the hive reliving her happy memories--but when Julian, a dark memory from her past, breaks into the hive and demands that she come with him, she discovers that even the afterlife is more complicated and dangerous then she dreamed.… (more)

Lenore Appelhans is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

17 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible