Buried by the Roan by Mark Stevens

Buried by the Roan

by Mark Stevens

123768,668 (4)None

Generally well written. A couple of times I had to go back because I felt that I missed something, although to be fair that could be me and not the author. Interesting topic of the environmental issues with a lot of both sides. Love the setting, as I've been to a lot of these places.

I could not draw on any recollection from my reading of the first book which wasn't a big issue in this one, although it did nag at me that I felt that more back story on Allison and more of her personality from the first story could have been helpful here. Some with Trudy. I'm not even sure anyone else was even in the first book.

Biggest complaint: How many damn times was she going to ride back and forth to the camp. Sheez! Get a satellite phone would ya?? The author needed her at camp and in town to work both sides of the story and the back and forth on poor Lightening got old. After the first time she needs to stop for a nap with a client and change horses but she can do it again 87 times with no change of horses or significant sleep?

If there's a third book and I'm aware of it's release I'm sure I'd read it again, just for the setting if nothing else. ( )
  she_climber | Oct 19, 2016 |
I met the author at Left Coast Crime this year (it's a mystery conference for writers and fans), where he was on a panel that featured environmental themes. Of the books I purchased there by authors new to me, this was the best crafted, blending homicide with interesting characters & a beautiful landscape. Stevens manages to approach land use issues with some balance and restraint, avoiding preachiness while keeping the reader engaged. ( )
  seasidereader | Sep 20, 2013 |
Wow, this guy can really write. A terrific read. ( )
  thomas42 | Dec 5, 2011 |

The spark for Buried by the Roan is a dead hunter on the shore of Oyster Lake, deep in the Flat Tops Wilderness. Josh Keating’s demise could be a case of a hunter drinking too much and stumbling late at night. Or it could be something much worse. Plenty of other strange things are going on to make hunting guide Allison Coil think the death is no accident. Someone is lurking around, leaving odd notes and maps. Hunters and guides are turning up violently ill from drinking the Flat Tops water. Four of the buffalo on Keating’s ranch are slaughtered. And there’s word that Keating and his neighbor were tangled up in a property dispute triggered by a centuries-old doctrine known as adverse possession. The future of the way of life in the rugged Colorado mountains is at stake. Allison finds the killer’s trail but doesn’t avoid being trapped in the simple but wicked device that murdered her client.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,792,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible