Dangerous by Shannon Hale

Dangerous (2014)

by Shannon Hale

Recently added byprivate library, nbmars, kerers, fbwclib, Mooose, joyfulgirl, aviddiva, olmclibrary, himrqwerty, jgnade3

This is a book marketed as YA that seemed more Middle Grade or Tween to me. The protagonist is a young girl named Maisie Danger Brown who has always wanted to be an astronaut in spite of having only one hand because of a congenital disorder. That would never stop Maisie, however, and she enters and wins a contest to attend Howell Astronaut Boot Camp created by billionaire Bonnie Howell “to ignite the love of science in the teenage mind.”

At the camp, Maisie brushes off cruel remarks about her hand, meets a cute boy, and gets her first kiss. All that is great. But the deal breaker for me is the part about the adults who are running the camp. They are not only absurdly eccentric (fine perhaps for being scientists but not for running a big successful business) but also they inexplicably and amazingly allow Maisie and five of her camp mates to handle some secret alien artifacts, about which they claim to know nothing. The objects invade the bodies of the kids, endowing them with superpowers (but of course, could have infected them lethally instead). Holy X-Teens! Where is the Hazmat Team? More importantly, where are the lawyers?

Evaluation: The premise of this book is just too absurd in too many parts for me to carry on reading. The adults are stupid in ways often common in Middle Grade books, but not really believable once you get past that level. It hurts to feel let down by Shannon Hale, although she doesn’t disappoint in terms of providing yet another plucky, admirable female heroine. It’s possible the story gets better, but I couldn’t get past the ridiculous, almost campy [pun intended] set-up.

Note: Speaking of puns, this book has some great ones. Maisie’s father is a punster (hence Maisie being named so that she could say “Danger is my middle name….”), and I wished we readers could spend more time with him . . . . ( )
  nbmars | Oct 8, 2014 |
Thanks to Netgalley.com and Bloomsbury USA Children's Books for allowing me access to this.

4.5 stars. I went into this completely blind. I had no idea what to expect. This is NOTHING like her other books, and yet the writing and story are still just as amazing. I thought the little jokes the father told were pretty funny and helped show the positive relationship she had with her parents. I could have done with a little less of the teenager-y angst, "he loves me, he hates me" stuff, but it mostly came together for me and worked in the end. And it was nice to have a love triangle appear and get squashed just as quickly. It gets really old when they drag out, and sometimes friends are just never more than friends.

Overall, I think fans of Hale's other works will enjoy this one. I would also recommend it for fans of Pittacus Lore as it has a similar feel. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Dangerous by Shannon Hale is a page-turning science fiction adventure.

Maisie Danger Brown receives a scholarship to a space camp. She has wanted to be an astronaut since she was small, but she was also born without a right hand. Does this even matter? Excited, Maisie goes to camp and is part of a team who wins many competitions. As the winners, she and her teammates travel to visit an elevator that goes from the equator to an orbiting astroid in space. They end up actually riding the elevator. Did they get parental permission? Not exactly. While in space, she begins her journey.

Wow! I would love to say more about her journey, but it would give the surprises away. Needless to say, you will be guessing as to who can be trusted as Maisie is burdened with literally saving the entire planet. I read this novel in one day and it was a fun reading experience! It's imaginative and exciting! ( )
  acargile | Jun 1, 2014 |
Read this because James Dasher had recommended it. What a great story. One-armed girl wins a trip to an astronaut camp and ends up travelling in a space elevator to a space station that orbits the Earth. While there, she comes in contact with some alien life forms (pods) that effect her and the other young competition winners and give them very weird powers, and have them on a driving mission to do something on Earth...quickly as they are running out of time. As a background to all this, she falls in love with one of the other infected teens Wilder, watches one of them die. gets strange tattoo like marks glowing in her skin and also builds herself a kick-ass robotic arm. Loved the unpredictability of this book and was hooked from the start as I didn't know what was going to happen next. ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 1, 2014 |
Maisie Danger Brown dreams of going to space camp, but she knows her parents could never afford it. When she wins a contest she read about on the back of a cereal box, she is ecstatic -- she'll get to study advanced physics and quantum mechanics, and learn about space from the creators of the Beanstalk, the world's first and only space elevator. At space camp, she's grouped with three other campers into a "fireteam" who complete challenges together. It's a camper outside her fireteam who most intrigues her, though: Jonathan Wilder, a rich young playboy who becomes Maisie's space camp romance. When Maisie's fireteam wins all of their challenges, they are taken on a special trip to see the base of the Beanstalk. Jonathan, as best performing individual camper, is also invited. And it's at the Beanstalk where things start to go in directions Maisie could never have anticipated. Bonnie Howell, the Beanstalk's eccentric creator, allows the campers into the space elevator and then takes them on a joyride up into space, where she allows them to explore the docking station and even handle some mysterious, possibly alien technology mined from an asteroid that traveled into Earth's orbit. When the alien tech reacts unexpectedly with the five teens, they are bound together for a purpose they could never have anticipated: they must save Earth from a coming alien attack.

This book has plenty of action and, yes, danger (Maisie's middle name is a source of much hilarity), and even some romance, though nothing readers on the young end of the YA spectrum won't be able to handle. I enjoyed the read, but it fell short on a few points. The characterization of some of the adults really didn't work, for me -- they made some decisions that just didn't make sense. There were a few weak spots in the worldbuilding, too, that could have used a little more clarification. I think young teens going into this book without a lot of expectations will really love it, but more experienced readers, especially those who have read a lot of sci-fi, will find this book lacking in some ways. ( )
  foggidawn | May 30, 2014 |
For Wren, who is a superhero
The warehouse was coffin dark.

When aspiring astronaut Maisie Danger Brown, who was born without a right hand, and the other space camp students get the opportunity to do something amazing in space, Maisie must prove how dangerous she can be and how far she is willing to go to protect everything she has ever loved.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible