Dangerous by Shannon Hale

Dangerous (2014)

by Shannon Hale

1582075,572 (3.5)9
Recently added byprivate library, davidgn, gcargile, Rgruberorient, missmimsy, tjsjohanna, bkmuse7, goodreads, jolerie

Ms. Hale can always be relied on for a good tale, well told. Maisie is such a likable character - brave when she wants to run and hide, firm even when she wants to give in, with good friends and great family. She makes the story of alien invasion interesting and exciting. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jul 3, 2015 |
ARC
  bkmuse7 | Jun 15, 2015 |
After reading the first couple of chapters for free on my Kindle, I knew two things:
1. I was going to pre-order the book immediately.
2. This would be my read-aloud to my freshman classes this year.

The book came, and kept me up all night. Then kept my 25-year-old daughter, 24 year-old-son-in-law, and several tween-aged friends up all night, too.

Maisie is a real, sheltered teenaged girl. She also happens to be missing half her right arm. Her yearning to enlarge her world takes her to astronaut camp where she is infected with alien technology. Eventually, it becomes up to her to save the world. There is drama. There is fighting. There is teen-aged romance. Her voice is strong and real.

My freshmen beg for more every time I stop.

This book had BETTER become a movie some day. ( )
  swingdancefan | Apr 22, 2015 |
Hale's writing is always, always, always fabulous, and Dangerous was no different. Maisie is one of my favorite heroines of all time, and I love how this story played out. Everyone must read it. ( )
  jwarbler | Jan 31, 2015 |
This is a book marketed as YA that seemed more Middle Grade or Tween to me. The protagonist is a young girl named Maisie Danger Brown who has always wanted to be an astronaut in spite of having only one hand because of a congenital disorder. That would never stop Maisie, however, and she enters and wins a contest to attend Howell Astronaut Boot Camp created by billionaire Bonnie Howell “to ignite the love of science in the teenage mind.”

At the camp, Maisie brushes off cruel remarks about her hand, meets a cute boy, and gets her first kiss. All that is great. But the deal breaker for me is the part about the adults who are running the camp. They are not only absurdly eccentric (fine perhaps for being scientists but not for running a big successful business) but also they inexplicably and amazingly allow Maisie and five of her camp mates to handle some secret alien artifacts, about which they claim to know nothing. The objects invade the bodies of the kids, endowing them with superpowers (but of course, could have infected them lethally instead). Holy X-Teens! Where is the Hazmat Team? More importantly, where are the lawyers?

Evaluation: The premise of this book is just too absurd in too many parts for me to carry on reading. The adults are stupid in ways often common in Middle Grade books, but not really believable once you get past that level. It hurts to feel let down by Shannon Hale, although she doesn’t disappoint in terms of providing yet another plucky, admirable female heroine. It’s possible the story gets better, but I couldn’t get past the ridiculous, almost campy [pun intended] set-up.

Note: Speaking of puns, this book has some great ones. Maisie’s father is a punster (hence Maisie being named so that she could say “Danger is my middle name….”), and I wished we readers could spend more time with him . . . . ( )
  nbmars | Oct 8, 2014 |
For Wren, who is a superhero
The warehouse was coffin dark.

When aspiring astronaut Maisie Danger Brown, who was born without a right hand, and the other space camp students get the opportunity to do something amazing in space, Maisie must prove how dangerous she can be and how far she is willing to go to protect everything she has ever loved.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,030,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible