Dangerous by Shannon Hale

Dangerous (2014)

by Shannon Hale

I've read other Shannon Hale books and my reactions have ranged from "pretty good" to "Nope, not going to finish this". So I went in cautiously and not at all sure I'd like it - but it was excellent. Surprisingly complex - I kept thinking I knew where it was going _now_, and it kept going off in a new direction. Maisie is a teenager, and she does lose her head over a boy...sort of. That usually annoys me, but Maisie handled it much the way I wish others would - this is wonderful but I have other concerns right now. And then it got complicated, and then much more complicated, and terrible...and better. The romance is an integral part of the story, not a side-plot or a distraction, but it's not the major or the only focus of the story (by a long shot). Funny the way the token-symbols flowed together - I wonder if the token-makers were protoplasmic and could meld? Lots of wondering left, at the end of the story. And all the strange tech more or less dealt with - not much changing in the world (rather to Howell and GT's dismay). Poor Dragon - wish we could have seen more of him. But I definitely want to read more of Maisie. And the handling of her disability, and other "differences", was beautiful - they were facets of her, but not the point. The fact that she had only one arm was important to the story at several points - but she was not "the girl with one arm", she was much more than that. I had seen some of Shannon's discussions of her "half-Latina, home-schooled, one-armed, female protagonist" and how Shannon had worried she'd be too far out for people to accept as the hero of the book - but that's not at all how she appeared in the book, she was Maisie (who had all those aspects, and a good many more). I'd forgotten about the discussions until I read the reviews here, actually. Excellent, and I'm looking forward to the next book. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 17, 2017 |
Not the most memorable book by this author, which is a shame as I have really enjoyed some of her previous books. This is obviously a 'marmite' type of book and I quite like marmite in small doses. ( )
  MargaretPemberton | Feb 19, 2017 |
I was so excited to read this. Shannon Hale is the best, and now she writes a scifi novel? What could be better?

Well, a lot of things.

There were lots of parts I enjoyed. I do love Maisie, and the other characters aren't so bad either. The plot is interesting and action-packed and you've got the steamy romance and a love triangle that isn't freaking obnoxious, which is always a bonus.

But... it just... was difficult to get through. Everything seemed to happen either way too fast or way too slow. SO MUCH HAPPENED in just 400 pages, and it bothered me. The first half of the book is completely different than the second half, and I think it might've worked better if it had been more fleshed out over a few different installations.

But still, it was good. It was edgy and tragic and sweet and all those great things. But it took me so freaking long to get through because the pacing was just weird. It's weird that the pacing alone can make such an impact on how enjoyable the book is, but it's true. I really wish it had been better paced, because then it would've been awesome. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jan 25, 2017 |
It was ok. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Dangerous is a superpower, alien, romance book.
I like the heroine, but she’s not the best one that I’ve met.
The book is a good influence on teenagers, and I can see why it is for young adults, even though the writing style and language is middle school level.
I like how it keeps you guessing about who is good and who is evil.
What makes it sort of addictive is that every ending of a chapter is a cliffhanger, even though sometimes it does not always have to be. On the bad side, this also makes it a bit overly dramatic, which can be entertaining, though.
I also like that it is funny, although some content was pretty crazy. The idea of a space elevator attached to an asteroid is pretty intriguing.
Finally, I think that the marketing is pretty good and relates well to the content of the book.
All in all, it was all right. ( )
  888Molly | Mar 26, 2016 |
For Wren, who is a superhero
The warehouse was coffin dark.

When aspiring astronaut Maisie Danger Brown, who was born without a right hand, and the other space camp students get the opportunity to do something amazing in space, Maisie must prove how dangerous she can be and how far she is willing to go to protect everything she has ever loved.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,335,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible