Last Man Through the Gate by Tim C. Taylor

Last Man Through the Gate

by Tim C. Taylor

What a great adventure…I feel like a time traveler!

The Reality War Book 1 is about the time travel Radlan Saravanan, and about how his life starts to intermingle with the people in the past he has been assigned to work in. His assignment is protecting inhabitants from the future in the witness protection program. Since the time he is working in is in the past and the assignment lasts for many years he begins to get involved with a woman What will happen if he gets really involved…will it change history? It is a time paradox; will it affect the past or the future? He decides that he can’t be that important and goes for it…but what happens if the woman is important? I loved the complexities of this epic novel.

The book flips from different times and planets in space. One chapter you are in the future and on a different planet that is at war with earth. Then you back on earth in the past where you learn that the aliens are here unknown to earthlings. The book made me feel like a true time traveler and I loved it. The only complaint I have…which really isn’t a complaint…was that the enemy is too likeable…but perhaps that is what the author is going for? Which side has the right to live?

The story is very smooth and moves along at a good clip. I enjoyed that the book is taking place in England (the author is from England) and how some of the phrases or words that he uses I haven’t ever heard before…I feel that it makes the book more interesting.
You can’t go wrong with this book and wait until you read Book 2, The Reality War Book 2: The City of Destruction. It just keeps getting better.
  53bryanm | Dec 5, 2012 |
An interesting short story that has promise but I think squeezing everything into a novella has removed the 'zing' so while I enjoyed the story, I wasn't eager to return to reading it after any interruptions. In hindsight, it feels like the author is playing around with some ideas which wound up spinning off into his "Reality War" series. The result is a tangential leap into a whole different story environment towards the end which, combined with a lot of concepts being squeezed into a small space, means I never really got into the story. ( )
  Falcon124 | May 12, 2012 |
This seems like a well-written book with what could be an interesting plot line but I didn't find the characters engaging enough to get very far into the story.
  NatashaInconnue | May 6, 2012 |
I was quite interested in this novella as I started reading. The storyline of the gate was a great premise that unfortunately failed to go anywhere. I wanted there to be more of a story but that would have meant a novel instead of a novella.

I do not think very much of the character development. I never felt anything for any of the characters.

The ending left we waiting for the ending to happen. It just ended. I was expecting to see a single page that said - ....continued in the next installment.... but that didn't happen.

Did I enjoy the story? Yes I did but was left wanting more. I think the author has skill and I will endeavor to read other works by him. ( )
  honoliipali | Apr 23, 2012 |
This is a novella about the last man to step through a transport portal from his home world to another location - where he is trying to start a new life in a 'frontier' like location and wait for his family to follow on behind him. As the title suggests, the gate then stops working making him the last man through.

The story was interesting, but as the author explains at the end it originally began as a short story. I think it ended too abruptly (I was a little shocked to find myself at the end as I hadn't been keeping track of pages), and could have either done with staying as a short story or being expanded out to full length.

Still, it was enjoyable and there were interesting and unexpected elements to it. ( )
  Vecna | Feb 13, 2012 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Tim C. Taylor's book Last Man Through the Gate was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Tim C. Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,052,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible