Everybody into the Pool by Beth Lisick

Everybody into the Pool (edition 2009)

by Beth Lisick

Member:elvisettey
Title:Everybody into the Pool
Authors:Beth Lisick
Info:HarperCollins e-books (2009), Kindle Edition, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, memoirs, Read in 2013
Rating:***1/2
Tags:autobiography, Bay Area, California, essays, gender studies, humor, memoirs, non-fiction, San Francisco, LGBTQ, women, Sister Spit, motherhood, coming of age, childhood, growing up, families, Mission District

Everybody into the Pool: True Tales by Beth Lisick

I relate to Beth Lisick. While she had a quite normal and uneventful childhood, she found herself as part of the "counter culture." I don't really fit in well with the middle-America of my childhood, and I'm not sure why. Lisick seems to have similar issues. We can both fake it really well, though.

The main difference between Beth Lisick and myself? She figured out a way to make a living doing what she enjoys. I'm still figuring that part out.

But that's one of the main reasons I enjoyed this book so much. Here is an example of someone who didn't make it huge, didn't aim for the stratosphere of recognition and fame, but eked out a modest living doing what she wants to do. She's got the house with the white picket fence, never mind that it's in a really rough neighborhood and her neighbor is a drug dealer. He's a better neighbor than the ones I have here in this "out in the county" housing development full of people with "regular" employment. The story about the unkempt lawn is one I related to quite personally.

Lisick's stories are personal and honest accounts of a life spent doing what had to be done in order to live the life she wanted. She works hard, no matter the job. She's an inspiration. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Feb 7, 2014 |
This book goes solidly into the “not for me” pile. I didn’t find Lisick’s alternative lifestyle interesting, or humorous, or in the least bit respectable or necessary. I’m sure it would appeal to some, hence the two stars instead of just one, but in my case, I’m just glad it’s off of my to-be-read shelf. ( )
  miyurose | Dec 7, 2012 |
Fun book. ( )
  readingfiend | May 8, 2011 |
This book's good, but I was only reading it because I wanted to have written it. Does that make sense? Three stars! ( )
1 vote damsorrow | Jun 11, 2009 |
she's funny and amazing. and she's led the kind of life that the average person usually dreams about. i may have a girl crush on her. ( )
  badrabbyt | Nov 15, 2007 |

Beth Lisick started out as a homecoming princess with a Crisco-aided tan and a bad perm. And then everything changed. Plunging headlong into America's deepest subcultures, while keeping both feet firmly planted in her parents' Leave It to Beaver values, Lisick makes her adult home on the fringe of mainstream culture and finds it rich with paradox and humor. On the one hand, she lives in "Brokeley" with drug dealers and street gangs; on the other, she drives a station wagon with a baby seat in the back, makes her own chicken stock, and attends ladies' luncheons. How exactly did this suburban girl-next-door end up as one of San Francisco's foremost chroniclers of alternative culture? Lisick explains it all in her hilarious, irreverent, bestselling memoir, Everybody into the Pool.

Fans of David Sedaris and Sarah Vowell will relish Lisick's scathingly funny, smart, very real take on the effluvia of daily living. No matter what community she's exposing to the light, Lisick always hits the right chord.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:19 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible