Ichiro by Ryan Inzana

Ichiro

by Ryan Inzana

Ichiro stays with his grandfather while his mother teaches at the university. His grandfather takes him to various temples and discusses legends, family and history with him. Then Ichiro gets to meet one of the Shinto gods for himself.

I absolutely loved this. Ichiro was a wonderful character and I loved the relationship he and his grandfather had with each other. I thought the illustrations of the myths were lovely as well and I loved the simple colors. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
I read this longer graphic novel in one sitting at the library and enjoyed the down the hole adventure of a young boy with mixed Japanese and American ethnic background who moves with his mom to Japan to stay temporarily with his Japanese grandfather. The book tells some interesting stories from Japanese folklore and from modern times. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

Ichiro lives in New York City with his Japanese mother. His father, an American soldier, was killed in Iraq. Now, Ichi’s mom has decided they should move back to Japan to live with Ichi’s grandfather.
   Grandfather becomes Ichi’s tour guide, taking him to temples as well as the Hiroshima Peace Park, where Ichi starts to question the nature of war. After a supernatural encounter with the gods and creatures of Japanese mythology, Ichi must face his fears if he is to get back home. In doing so, he learns about the nature of man, of gods, and of war. He also learns there are no easy answers—for gods or men.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:47 -0400)

Raised by a Japanese mother in New York City, his American father killed in a war, Ichiro finds it difficult to figure out where he fits in. A trip to Japan leaves the boy with his grandfather, in a country he does not know. And one night Ichi gets dragged down a hole by a monster. When he awakens he isn't in Japan nor the mortal world. He has entered into the domain of the gods. Will Ichiro ever find a place to call home?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible