The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing…

The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters

by Amy Lane

Series: Granby Knitting (1)

I just loved this story; it has humor, a great love story and some intricate patterns and layers that make it very similar to the topic, which is knitting. But not just knitting as in using the wool; since Rance raises alpacas and is a mill owner, the whole process of wool and yarn-making is included as well. This, for me, added to the fascination of the whole setup and I loved learning about the bigger picture.

Rance is so wonderfully grumpy, I loved him from the very beginning. He is not very socially adept, but he manages to get hos point across to Ben. Rance is also very considerate of Ben's feelings, which he'd never admit, of course.

Ben is wonderful, sweet and totally open to Rance's advances. I loved that he looked under the grumpy surface and saw the real man, not just the grumpy persona. Ben doesn't share any of Rance's concerns about the two of them becoming a couple, but he understands when Rance finally explains.

The other thing I really enjoyed was the secondary characters, who need to get their own story at some point, as far as I am concerned. If you like humor in your stories, if like learning more about wool, knitting and living in the kind of cold climate that makes warm clothing necessary, you will probably love this story as much as I did.

NOTE: This book was provided by Dreamspinner Press for the purpose of a review on Queer Magazine Online ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 19, 2017 |
Ridiculousness: 2
Annoying: 1
Audio: 10 (2h 26min)
To re-read: 10

OMG that was a breath of fresh air after the crap I've been reading recently.
I love grumpy nice guys, they are so cuddable and awkward. His courting methods were endearing. The setting of a small town where everybody knows your name and no body cares you're "queer" reminds of the movie "Big Eden". Ben is sweet and patient gotta love him.
Fun book without the usual sappiness or sluttiness.

alpacas, knitting, butt plugs, more knitting, sexually active bunnies, fuck buddies, cold weather and cock cozies.

reading book 2 for sure ( )
  lulumiami | Sep 3, 2017 |
Okay. Guys? This was freaking adorable! A very Christmasy adorable short-novel from Amy Lane about a grumpy, awkward alpaca grower with a knitting shop and a new comer computer whiz trying to do some off grid living. I listened to it last January while chopping wood, which was sooo apropriate, and smiled all the way. It's funny and it has a genuine love for knitting shining through. The price for audiobook is very cheap as well, so grab it. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Laugh out loud funny. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
so sweet and cute, and so very satisfying at the end. not a knitter, so it didn't all register with me, but the cozy was a scream. ( )
  crankypants16 | Sep 23, 2013 |

Amy Laneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alces, PhilipNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Rance Crawford is an alpaca rancher, fiber mill owner, and self-proclaimed grumpy bastard. When sweet, charming tenderfoot Ben McCutcheon moves onto Crawford's rural road, Rance is very aware that Ben makes it a grand total of two gay men in their tiny town, and even though he is instantly, painfully smitten, any move he makes could be simply chalked up to being hard up.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,443,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible