The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir

The Second Sex (1952)

by Simone de Beauvoir

Other authors: H. M. Parshley (Translator)

I've given up on this. The biology and development of culture that start the book as a base for the rest of it are just so outdated that I can't stand it.
  MarthaJeanne | Apr 25, 2016 |
I read this book back in 2012. I have used this book as a reference in essays for my English and Sociology classes when I was an undergraduate student in Education. It is insightful on many accounts since it tells about how things used to be - and some continue to be - for women. Back when I picked it up, I was quite into feminism and all for sticking it to the man etc... The more I learned about De Beauvoir, the less I was impressed by her. I am no fan of her unhealthy relationship with Sartre, too à-la-Osho for my taste. But that is besides the point. Back to this book, some passages were a bit like a rant, so I skimmed through and felt annoyed. This quote is one that I absolutely love:
'One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.'
  pathogenik | Feb 18, 2016 |
FINALLY, I finished it. This book seemed to take forever and I'm so glad I finished it. I was pretty much skim reading it by the end of it.
It was a really interesting book and that's why I gave it 4/5 stars. The writing was really good and I was really captivated in the subject. It seemed to ramble on but I think that is just because it had so much to cover. I'm not really one for non-fiction so that is why to took me so long to read and why it felt tedious.
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |

Borde, ConstanceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crosland, MargaretIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malovany-Chevallier, SheilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woman?
This is the abridged English translation by H. M. Parshley, which omits parts of the original work. Do not combine it with the complete and unabridged English translation, first published in 2010, or with complete versions in other languages.
(If your copy of the book is *not* the Parshley edition, but is mixed up in this one, please modify the title or ISBN of your catalog record, so that your edition can be found and properly separated.)
    SIMONE DE BEAUVOIR

born in Paris and educated at the Sorbonne, stands at the center of the French Existentialist movement along with her close companion, Jean-Paul Sartre.

She has devoted her life to writing - producing novels, plays, travel books and essays. Simone de Beauvoir has explored every aspect of femininity - sexual, social, biological, even historical.
The Second Sex is a total picture of what she has learned, observed, and thought.

Written in French, Translated and published in principal languages throughout the world, The Second Sex is the most penetrating, frank, and inmate book ever written about Woman.

Woman's past and contemporary situation in Western culture is the focus of a detailed and uninhibited analysis of womanhood

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible