Animals Welcome: A Life of Reading, Writing…

Animals Welcome: A Life of Reading, Writing and Rescue

by Peg Kehret

313357,052 (4)None

This is a pleasant read about one woman's determination to rescue cats. It's helped me to refine my attitude toward pets and animals. Pet ownership means commitment and responsibility. I haven't had a pet since childhood. Though I have longed for a cat, I know I need to make my home a safe and comfortable place for a cat to share.
  mldg | Nov 28, 2014 |
Okay, I did not expect to really like this book. I thought it was too young for the committee list I read it for and I just didn't think I would really enjoy it. But man, it grew and grew on me until I was saving it until after work to read as a reward.

Author Peg Kehret loves animals. I mean she loooves them! Enough that she and her husband built a cabin in the woods to be surrounded by nature and after her husband passed away, Peg turned his workshop into a "cat room" as she fostered abandoned animals.

The writing is friendly and personable with Kehret sharing information she's learned about animals throughout the book. Kehret also points out where animals in her novels have been based on real animals she's known.

This is a sure hit for kids who love their pets (or wish they could have a pet). And also, it made me want to read all of Peg Kehret's other books. :) ( )
  abbylibrarian | Apr 12, 2013 |
This was a delightful read and would make a fun read-aloud for children. I was amazed at the adventures that the author has had with all kinds of animals. Her writing is clear and concise and her story telling is exceptional. My favorite was sad but so full of hope and promise that I found it inspiring. In the chapter entitled "My Life Changed Forever," Kehret relates the loss of her husband Carl and how she found purpose and joy once again through her first foster cat. "I still miss Carl and always will, but his workshop is no longer a sad, empty space,"writes Kehret about the workshop turned—Home For Wayward Cats...Strays Welcome! ( )
  ptorres | Dec 6, 2012 |

Vividly showing the joys of animal rescue while providing facts about the animals and birds she encounters, Kehret also shares the tragedy of her husband's sudden death, and the pain of losing Pete, the shelter cat who co-authored three of her books. Written with honesty, heart, and humor, Animals Welcome is a personal glimpse into the life of an author who loves animals, and the philosophy by which she lives.

A moving memoir from an award-winning author. A mother cat and her kittens, shot with a pellet gun. A poacher illegally stalking a bear. Peg Kehret tells these true stories and more as she invites readers into her life on a small wildlife sanctuary. She writes about animal rescue while providing facts about the animals and birds she meets. Mrs. Kehret also shares the tragedy of her husband's sudden death, and the pain of losing Pete, the shelter cat who co-authored three of her books. Written with honesty, heart, and humor, Animals Welcome is a personal glimpse into the life of an author who loves animals, and the philosophy by which she lives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,980,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible