My Own Worst Enemy: How to Stop Holding…

My Own Worst Enemy: How to Stop Holding Yourself Back

by Janet Davis

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Didn't find this book helpful at all. It just tells you all things that you already know to be true about yourself. It was very boring to me. I didn't finish it and donated it.
  Tharidra | Dec 23, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One thing all women know how to do well is how to be their own worst enemy. We always think we should have done more, or done something differently, or said no to something we were asked to do, and so on. We are not only our own worst enemy, but also our own worst critic. Janet Davis reminds us that yes, we are all flawed, but God can use us not only in spite of those flaws, but also because of those flaws. She uses many examples from scripture and her own life to help us realize we don't have to be perfect to be loved - by God, or by other people. ( )
  rjabpab | Oct 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ireceived this book through the early viewers giveaway. it doesnt take much for me to find excuses to tell myself i am not good enough or that i will make a fool of myself but while I read Janet Davis' book, "My Own Worst Enemy", it was like someone had found me out. Janet's book explains why women sabotage the plans they make for themselves when everything usually starts out so possitive. She also takes it further with comparing these mishaps with ones that women in the Bible made and shows us how they overcame them. Ms Davis also shares stories about her own life and how she was a captive of the same type of thinking. If you have ever felt that you have been a victim of your own self-sabotage then Janet will show you how to break the cycle so that you can achieve what God has purposed you to be. ( )
  mookiekat | May 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First I must say that even though the genre is “Christian living”, this book can be helpful to anyone seeking a way to break free of the nagging voice in her head …

“Just who do you think you are?”

Have you ever heard that in your own thinking? Have you held back because of what others will say or what they would think of you being so bold as to share your thoughts or talents? Why, you could look proud or cause someone to be jealous! Pish tosh! (By the way, pish tosh means rubbish, bunk, a ridiculous proposition.)

In her book, Janet Davis addresses the many ways women sabotage themselves and hold themselves back from being all they are made to be. To quote: “Women often find that the biggest obstacle to being all they were created to be is themselves. Though they long to succeed, they can’t silence the voice inside whispering, “Just who do you think you are?”

In three sections and thirteen chapters, the author addresses various situations while using her own life as an example along with those of other women. She also parallels those stories with women in the Bible. (I did question a few of her suggestions regarding Biblical situations, but that did not overshadow the overall ministry to women through this book.)

Section One Chapters are: The Unimagined Life; The Unworthy Life; The Unlived Life

Section Two Chapters are: Identity: Pretense vs Presence; Creativity: Conformity vs Uniqueness; Shining: Recoiling vs. Radiance

Section Three Chapters are: Choosing Vulnerability; Choosing to Say No; Choosing to Tell Your Story; Choosing to Re-Create in the Midst of Loss; Choosing to Persevere in the Midst of Injustice; Choosing to Grow Up; Choosing to Say Yes to God

At the beginning of each chapter, Janet poses something to consider, then at the end she revisits that thought and adds a list of questions for the reader to answer. Those questions can go as deep as you allow them to, depending on how much time you want to take, how serious you are about dealing with the problem, and how much you are willing to face.

My Own Worst Enemy: how to stop holding yourself back is a great read-alone book, but it also can be used in a small group of women who get together to work through the questions and help one another address the problem of self-sabotage.

If you have not been aware of how adept woman are at undermining themselves, you may be surprised as to how subtle is that inner voice. My Own Worst Enemy - by Janet Davis – may be just the book you didn’t know you needed. ( )
  Polilla-Lynn | May 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, I have spent more time reading this book than any other I have won in Library Reviewers. There is so much good information contained in this book that I am reading it for the third time and learning more each time!! Excellent book!
1 vote starbritejan | Mar 23, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764209507, Paperback)

Helps Women Overcome the Limitations They Place on Themselves

Women often find that the biggest obstacle to being all they were created to be is themselves. Though they long to succeed, they can't silence the voice inside whispering, "Just who do you think you are?" Through stories of modern and biblical women, My Own Worst Enemy explores both the calling of women to shine and the complex dynamic of self-sabotage that often keeps them from daring to obey. Janet Davis shows women how to break the cycle of shame and self-doubt to achieve their full potential.

Perfect for individuals or small groups, My Own Worst Enemy will encourage any woman who wants to stop holding herself back and begin living out her purpose in the kingdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:04 -0400)

"A retreat leader and speaker teaches women to recognize and overcome self-defeating behavior and begin living out their purpose in God's kingdom. Includes study questions for small groups"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Janet Davis's book My Own Worst Enemy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible