Dallas and the Spitfire: An Old Car, an…

Dallas and the Spitfire: An Old Car, an Ex-Con, and an Unlikely Friendship

by Ted Kluck

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book recounts the story of a relationship which occasions the discipleship of a young man through his first steps with God. The restoration of the car is a good idea as far as the telling of the story goes, though the book can get caught up more with answering questions that with just telling a story. ( )
  PastorBob | Oct 14, 2016 |
I really liked the premise of this book: too often churches dictate what discipleship should look like and this book challenges the idea that you must sit over coffee and talk for an hour a week about your life and how God is working in it. Unfortunately, the book was really too short to delve into a true relationship. I wanted more.

I found that the footnotes really detracted as well from the story. Did the authors mean to write a story about a relationship or were they trying to educate us on different churches and their requirements? It was confusing.

I thought I would be moved emotionally by their tale but that wasn't too be. Perhaps the feedback they receive on these early reviewers books will spur them on to revamping the final work.

**I received a free advanced copy of this book in exchange for my review** ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Whoops! I never finished reading this book and forgot I hadn't reviewed it. It had a fine enough premise, but it just lacked the spark that would make the exchanges and personal growth meaningful to me. Interestingly, it was the adult role-model who admitted to the most growth, with his assumptions rudely challenged by the young man he was supposedly mentoring. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a short look at discipleship and how it works through the lens of a man working with a difficult subject. They restore a car together, encounter bumps along the way in their relationship. I think it's a good honest look at the realities of a discipling relationship. It keeps your attention pretty well, through stories and commentary. ( )
  laholmes | Aug 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ted Kluck becomes friends with Dallas. They have very little in common, so rather than usual model of mentoring/discipleship, the mentoring takes place in the garage as they work together to restore an old car. Ted mentors Dallas regarding the walk of faith and Dallas mentors Ted regarding mechanics. They grow together and become friends. Dallas learns to walk with the Lord through temptations and challenges. The chapters alternate between those written first-person by Ted, and those written first person by Dallas.
Not a how-to book, but presents a life-style model of mentoring. ( )
  TizzzieLish | Feb 23, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764209612, Paperback)

A Suburban Dad and an Ex Con Show What Discipleship Looks Like

Ted is an educated thirty-something father of two who's been going to church his whole life. Dallas is a twenty-one-year-old former cocaine addict with a prison record who has recently become a Christian. When they agree to meet regularly for "discipleship," they know that chatting once a week in a coffee shop just won't cut it. Instead, they decide to get to know each other while restoring an old Triumph Spitfire. Filled with surprises and humor, Dallas and the Spitfire tells a gripping story of two lives changed, and along the way gives readers a new model for men's ministry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:38 -0400)

"Memoir about a suburban dad mentoring a twenty-something former drug addict/convict as they restore a classic car together"--Provided by publisher.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ted Kluck's book Dallas and the Spitfire was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible