Imago (Alan Rodgers Books) by Amy Sterling…

Imago (Alan Rodgers Books) (edition 2002)

by Amy Sterling Casil

Member:AlexDraven
Title:Imago (Alan Rodgers Books)
Authors:Amy Sterling Casil
Info:Wildside Press (2002), Hardcover, 312 pages
Rating:***

Imago (Alan Rodgers Books) by Amy Sterling Casil

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An imago is a computer construct that is also alive, thinking and immortal, although it has no physical form other than a projected 3D image. DisLex is the company that has created imagoes, believing that by studying imagoes we can understand life and cheat death. Supposedly, understanding imagoes will also help find a cure for HMV, a horrifying mutational contagious disease that afflicts some humans.

I had a very hard time getting into the story, not following the leaps of knowledge and technology that were supposed to tie together imagoes, immortality and HMV. I felt no attachment to any of the characters, who seemed quite flat and uninteresting, and really disliked the protagonist, not because he was a great evil villain but because he was just so petty and disagreeable. ( )
  sandragon | Apr 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting account of a maniacal Disneyesque figure and his effects on the people around him and the world that comes to rely upon his technologies.

I was never sure about the Disney aspects of the story, but they never became particularly important.

A disease is mutating humans causing distrust and fear among the "normals". The main characters get caught up in the politics of the situation, and virtual characters in a virtual world may hold the keys to changing things in the real world.

There were a couple interesting characters (one a surprising choice that ended up my favorite character in the book) and some uninteresting ones that simply seemed to drift along with events, too stupid to realize what was happening. There were some interesting concepts only partially explored.

I have used the word "interesting" three times already, and it's because I don't want to criticize the book too harshly or heap undue praise upon it. It wasn't a bad read, although some of the events were mildly disturbing to read through, but it didn't grab me or fascinate me either and I found the ending vaguely anti-climactic.

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but I'm not adverse to reading more from the same author. ( )
  Shijuro | Apr 25, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I made it only a third of the way in this book, but the subject really did not interest me. ( )
  Guide2 | Apr 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well written, fast paced novel with a great villain and a rampant, incurable disease. I highly recommend this book for it's speculative view of the not too distant future, some well imagined technology, and the well developed characters with their human flaws. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Apr 1, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Got this as an ARC. Some really interesting ideas in here - particularly the eponymous imagos - but I found the reading really tough going. Choppy, uneven sentences combined with a strange flow of plot left me, well, cold. ( )
  gmehn | Mar 27, 2012 |

There's a pig man at your window, and he's hungry. This is the world of Imago. Something has gone very wrong with this world. Changed freaks, victims of the Human Mutational Virus, roam California's streets. DisLex, the entertainment utility, monitors everyone's lives; yet few know that DisLex not only controls life, it has created it: perfect virtual constructs who can never die -- the Imagos.

There's a pig man at your window, and he's hungry. This is the world of Imago. Something has gone very wrong with this world. Changed freaks, victims of the Human Mutational Virus, roam California's streets. DisLex, the entertainment utility, monitors everyone's lives; yet few know that DisLex not only controls life, it has created it: perfect virtual constructs who can never die - the Imagos. Amy Sterling Casil is a 2002 Nebula Award nominee and recipient of other awards and recognition for her short science fiction and fantasy which has appeared in publications ranging from The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction to Zoetrope."Amy Sterling Casil is a rising star, joining the brightest new constellation of science fiction." - David Brin author of The Postman and Infinity's Shore… (more)

Amy Sterling Casil is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Imago by Amy Sterling Casil was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,293,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible