School Success for Kids With Autism by…

School Success for Kids With Autism

by Andrew Egel PhD

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have an autistic son and though I was familiar with most of the information in this book, it still made me aware of other alternatives for teachers. It is geared more for the classroom, or schools of autistic children than parents.
The information is clear and concise and a great guide for those who deal with those with autism.

I highly recommend this book for teachers and other staff. ( )
  JMPowers | Jul 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although this book appears to be geared more toward teachers, there are sections for the parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Chapter seven specifically addresses the affect that having an autistic child has on the parents, as well as any brothers and sisters who don't have autism. There are tips on how to cope and how each family member can help the autistic child, thereby helping themselves.

One of the many nuggets of information to remember in this book is that teachers and parents can't expect doctors to be able to predict just how disabled the autistic child will be when that child is at the preschool and elementary school age. Often doctors can't. Parents may have to wait years to find out if their child will always need to be cared for by others, can be more or less independent, or -- in the best case -- you won't be able to tell him or her apart from their peers who don't have Autistic Spectrum Disorder. That must be very stressful for the family and the teachers. Still, there's hope.

This book explains ways that autistic children can be taught even if they can't speak, from preschool age through high school. More importantly, it gives methods to help autistic children learn to communicate, to relate to others, gain social skills, and even make friends. Another nugget, this from the concluding chapter is this:

'Students with ASD may be able to follow a visual picture schedule or complete an independent workstation, but if they are unable to communicate socially with another person and develop a relationship with others, we have failed to adequately address the whole child.'

There are also recommendations on how to include middle and high school students in general education classes, how to deal with people who are against including these disabled children with what we would call the normal kids, the resources teachers are going to need, ways to get those resources, and the vital importance of good communication between the school and the home. I particularly liked the recommendations for how teachers, paraeducators, and parents can work together to help the autistic child learn to use the same skills at school and home.

It's obvious from reading this book that teaching autistic children is going to be more difficult than ordinary teaching, which is difficult enough. Still, teaching those children will not only improve their lives as individuals, it will improve their chances of becoming contributing members of society.

I've not only read this book, I've recommended it to others. I'm not sure why I asked one stranger who came to my door if she knew anyone who had autistic children, but I'm glad I did. She knew someone who had two. I'll be keeping this book listed in my collection so the review will remain, but I'm giving it to the sibling who's an elementary school teacher. As the book says, a one-day workshop isn't enough to fully train teachers to teach children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder. ( )
  JalenV | Mar 28, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very practical guide for parents and teachers of autistic children, School Success for Kids with Autism will provide valuable information at any grade level. The book is well organized, starting with an introduction to Autism Specturm Disorder (ASD), and progressing into information about assessment, with sections on strategies at each school stage: preschool, elementary, junior high, and high school.
After reading the book, one thing becomes very clear: there is no ‘one right way’ to teach children with ASD. Understanding that each child has his own challenges, the reader is provided with a variety of different strategies that have worked in different circumstances. If you try a strategy and it doesn’t work for your child, you can move onto the next strategy. However, for every strategy that you try, you can be confident that it is backed up by research and expertise. ( )
  buildingabookshelf | Mar 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book, My daughter has autism. i found it very informative, however more geared towards teachers then parents. i would highly recommend this book for any teachers who work with children on the autism spectrum. ( )
  triplej1985 | Feb 28, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I work with school age kids with autism often and found the information to be mostly accurate. Obviously nearly every child with autism is different in their mannerisms and personalities but as much as you can find a common theme, this book seemed to do a good job. I found the statistics and other more clinical information to be good and I would recommend this book to anyone with an autistic child in their life. ( )
  Silversi | Jan 31, 2012 |
[after quoting Helen Keller] Autism was first described as a distinct clinical syndrome by Dr. Leo Kanner (1943).
At the time of this book's publication, all facts and figures cited are the most current available. All telephone numbers, addresses, and website URLs are accurate and active. All publications, organizations, websites, and other resources exist as described in the book, and all have been verified. The authors and Prufrock Press Inc. make no warranty or guarantee concerning the information and materials given out by organizations or content found at websites, and we are not responsible for any changes that occur after this book's publication. If you find an error, please contact Prufrock Press Inc. (copyright page)
The overall occurance of autism in the general population was initially identified as approximately 1 in 2,500 births. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC; 2010), reporting on surveillance data from 2006, noted that the occurrence of austim spectrum disorders is now 1 in 110 births. This is a startling and substantial increase. Furthermore, it was noted in the report that there was not one issue in particular that could explain the increase. For example, the CDC pointed out that no patterns were observed that would suggest that the increase in occurrence was attributable to the use of the broader ASD spectrum per se. (page 10)
It is not possible for teachers to soley participate in a full-day workshop or training and be adequately prepared to effectively teach students with ASD in their classrooms (NRC,2001).
(page 87)
The purpose of intellectual assessment is not to obtain a score on a test, but rather to understand how best a student learns to problem solve.
(page 35)
It can be difficult to choose what strategies will work best for students with ASD, particularly because there is not one strategy that has proven to be most effective for all students with ASD (National Research Council, 2001).
(page 49)

With the increasing numbers of children diagnosed with autism each year, parents need the valuable information provided in School Success for Kids With Autism to help ensure their children receive the educational programming they need and deserve. By outlining the best practices found in today's classrooms, School Success for Kids With Autism describes how parents and teachers can work together to create nurturing, supportive, and effective classroom environments from preschool to high school.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andrew Egel PhD's book School Success for Kids With Autism was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,162,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible