Take Control of Dyslexia and Other Reading…

Take Control of Dyslexia and Other Reading Difficulties

by Jennifer Engel Fisher, Janet Price

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a really good read for parents and children with Dyslexia. However, that is what this book is geared towards. My son falls into other reading difficulties. This book didn't seem to be very helpful in that aspect.
  matrimble | Jun 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Page 1: "This book is written just for you" ... "You will have a better understanding of how you learn, and you will have a plan of attack to take control of your reading difficulties".

The format is pretty cool, shorter lines, bigger fonts, only a good 100 pages. However, I think they could have done an effort choosing a more Dyslexia appropriate font. I'm not dyslexic and I have a hard time focusing on the text. The complex technical terms could have been highlighted in some form.

For the content, I concoure with other reviewers. It might not be directly appropriate to any student without adult supervision and support. Conversely, if read by the adult, it's quite easy to handpick concepts and ideas and convey them to the student in his/her own language.

Overall, a great Dyslexia 101 book for someone who wants a quick overview of the subject before digging into serious, dry and technical studies. ( )
  sophie65 | Oct 9, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a great book! I love how it was broken down into easy to read chunks, with lots of visuals, text boxes, and bullet points. My daughter was recently diagnosed with dyslexia, and I got a lot of great tips for helping her out in this book.

However, even with the text boxes and bullet points, I just don't see her reading through this. I do plan to read it to her, though. And it IS a great resource for parents and teachers in helping their kids/students with reading difficulties.
  Suso711 | Feb 23, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a wonderful, useful book. I love the way the topics are presented, with lots of text boxes and different sized types and pictures to break up the monotony for a learning challenged reader. I also like how the authors are addressing the child, the tween, the teenager who is reading it, and not just the parents thereof. Specific tools are suggested to help students figure out strategies to get what they need to learn. The authors bios prove that they are credible resources. My only disappointment is I could not interested my own learning challenged child in reading it, even after I agreed to read the book to her if she would just read the first page. I'm hoping that she will change her mind. I plan to leave the book out where she can peruse it privately when I'm not there. Hey, a mother can dream... ( )
  kmcwrites | Feb 19, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Take Control of Dyslexia is a book that is best read with parents and teachers of children with dyslexia. The book addresses the student directly, though teachers and parents should read it as well to understand and help facilitate the changes the book calls for. Does a teacher know how to use visual organisers? Does a parent know that doodling or fidgeting might be something a child is doing to focus and is not a behavioural problem?

Besides a comprehensive read, the book addresses a large group of children, including statements from middle schoolers through high schoolers. Depending on the abilities of the child, they may need a parent or teacher to help them process the information. ( )
  StPetersClassical | Feb 1, 2012 |

Jennifer Engel Fisherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Price, Janetmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Explains what reading disabilities are, coping strategies, and helpful technology for reading and writing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jennifer Engel Fisher's book Take Control of Dyslexia and Other Reading Difficulties was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible