Teaching Children With High-Functioning…

Teaching Children With High-Functioning Autism: Strategies for the…

by Claire Hughes-Lynch PhD

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As the author notes, This book focuses on helping general education teachers and parents. Most special education teachers would be familiar with the techniques and terminology used to explain ways to structure one's classroom and instructional techniques to help students with high-functioning autism learn and access the curriculum. It provides discussion regarding the need for team approach and the therapeutic approach versus educational dichotomy. Tips for working with professionals are provided, as well as describing collaborative teaching strategies and behavioral strategies. ( )
  mstruck | Feb 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an incredibly well-written, accessible, useful and, often, amusing look into the world of teaching students with autism.
It gives you just enough background history on autism diagnoses, legislation, and educational strategy and technique to guide the reader without boring them. It offers valuable insights into the world of autistic children and their parents that are useful at any age level. Too many books focus on autism as a "childhood" disorder (I even had a doctor tell me only children had autism!!!), but this gives techniques, strategies and anecdotes for all grade levels (and even some post-educational information).
The wealth of resources and useable tables to aide instructors is wonderful (some I'll be using for myself!).
I really liked this book. It didn't talk down to the readers but, at the same time, did not assume any prior knowledge on the subject; much like a teacher introducing a new concept! ( )
  benuathanasia | Aug 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a former educator in a mental health institution, parent of a
teacher, husband of a professor and son of a teacher, I have a great
deal of interest in education. In my role as a public librarian, I
frequently assist parents of children with special needs who are looking
for materials that will help them and their children reach a better
quality of life and level of functioning. I also work closely with our
local school system to help teachers and students find resources. This
book is an impressive treasure for both educators and parents. The
layout and material are content-rich and structured in a way that
teachers can find ways to improve curriculum content, insight and
behavioral approaches to students everywhere on the autism spectrum.
Concerned and involved parents will find the book helpful in terms of
educating teachers as well as themselves in how to change and support a
classroom experience for their children.

The book layout is impressive. Beginning with a comprehensive
description of high-functioning autism, the book follows with 11 more
chapters. The first four address understanding high-functioning autism,
while the remaining eight are under the heading “What Can I Do?” Each
one of them has numerous bullet lists and charts to help illustrate and
expand upon key concepts. There is a key points reiteration at the end
of every chapter to help the reader focus on what was just read. Dr.
Hughes-Lynch has included an impressive list of resources and references
at the end of the book, including websites and support organizations.
This is a great resource and, at $24.95, a definite bargain in terms of
what it provides the user. I am very happy to be able to add it to our
collection at the Hartland Public Library and would expect it to be a
logical and valuable addition to any school, public or academic library
collection. ( )
  sennebec | Feb 23, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was reviewed for me by my sister who is a teacher. She said it is a good guide, but is confusing to read, because It reads too much like a textbook. The sentences are wordy and would be hard to follow for most people. The strategies are useful and good for understanding the special needs of this group of individuals, though. ( )
  kiramoody | Feb 1, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very informative and easy to follow. There was a lot of great info in there to assist educators and even parents. I'll definitely be sharing this with my colleagues in the regular ed and special ed departments. ( )
  AngelaFristoe | Jan 22, 2012 |

"This book provides realistic descriptions of autism in the classroom, ideas for working with a wide range of professionals, and integrating the various therapies within a classroom, suggestions for assessing students' learning, and a range of teaching ideas from behavioral interventions to content-area instruction. With ideas for writing a very strong, helpful IEP as well as ways to accommodate and manage the social, language, and anxiety-related issues children with high-functioning autism face in a general education setting, this guidebook is sure to help all teachers serve their students with autism in the inclusive classroom!"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Teaching Children With High-Functioning Autism: Strategies for the Inclusive Classroom by Claire E. Hughes-Lynch was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,137,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible