Paris, My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light…

Paris, My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light (and Dark Chocolate)

by Amy Thomas

2-1/2*

Memoir written by an American woman who had the opportunity to work for Louis Vuitton and live in Paris for two years. She shares her doubts as a mid-30s woman who has always put career first and now faces some angst in being single as she sees all of her friends pairing off and starting their families. She has an obsession with pastries and sweets and turned that into a blog and eventually this book.

This falls into the same genre as Eat, Pray, Love. I knew this going into it. I wish I would have followed my instincts and put the book back down. The cover drew me in. This was not my cup of tea. I found it quite boring, unfortunately, although it would have made a great travel guide for foodies visiting NYC or Paris...back in 2008. A lot of the bakeries and boulangeries she mentions are probably out of business by now. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Jul 16, 2016 |
I do not usually do this but this is one book that I can't describe without putting in a few pics. Because reading this book made my mouth salivate and I craved macaroons and cupcakes and all things yummy. This is not a book to read on an empty stomach because Amy Thomas will make you want to eat all these sweets.

Amy Thomas traveled to Paris for her job and lived there, she is a lover of all things sweet and Paris offered her this and much more. This book is about her journey in Paris, all the nice things she found and ate, and just about being a ex-at in the city of light. The book also have flashbacks of her favorite places in New York and she compares for example chocolate chip cookies there and in Paris. And how cupcakes came to Paris.

It was a fun book to read and mostly because I too love sweets, and to my own horror I have never tasted a macaroon! But after this book I have to. And I really want to taste a true cupcake too. What can I say, I am going to head to the bakery or a coffee shop and taste a few things.

But I do warn you all, this book is delicious! Your sweet tooth will ache from page 1. I do like bread because it can be good, but the way she described it in one scene made me want to go to Paris. But then everything she wrote about made me feel the same.

Conclusion:
She has quite the way with words. No photos were needed in her book as she described everything perfectly, but from my review you understand what I felt when reading this book. Sweets everywhere and for everyone. Yummy!
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Love Paris, but this book just wasn't for me. There were some good descriptions about some of the areas, but, I really thought is was going to be so much more interesting and fun. The comparisons between Paris and New York were cool to read about, how popular items in each city are crossing the ocean. There are many books about Paris that are much better. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Dec 28, 2015 |
Loved all the restaurant and sweet shop recommendations for both Paris and New York! I expected the writing to be perhaps a little deeper or more sophisticated.
  ccaterer | Oct 21, 2015 |
I love sweets, I love Paris; I was definitely interested in reading this book! Amy Thomas tells the story of leaving her beloved New York for Paris for work (as a copy writer for Louis Vuitton) - a dream of hers since a semester abroad in college left her smitten with the city. Amy has a sweet tooth and has lots of experiences visiting bakeries in both cities which are interwoven throughout the book. All in all, I thought the book was interesting - the experience of an expat (with limited french) living and working abroad. As much as she loves Paris, she misses New York and her life there (friends, family, full social calendar) and talks about that candidly. I did find it a bit repetitive at times and thought she worked hard to make some things align. ( )
  Hanneri | Dec 19, 2014 |

"Forever a girl obsessed with all things French, sweet freak Amy Thomas landed a gig as rich as the purest dark chocolate: leave Manhattan for Paris to write ad copy for Louis Vuitton. Working on the Champs-Élysées, strolling the charming streets, and exploring the best patisseries and boulangeries, Amy marveled at the magnificence of the City of Light. But does falling in love with one city mean turning your back on another? ... Paris, My Sweet explores how the search for happiness can be as fleeting as a salted caramel soufflé's rise, as intensely satisfying as molten chocolate cake, and about how the life you're meant to live doesn't always taste like the one you envisioned."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Amy Thomas's book Paris, My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light (and Dark Chocolate) was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,014,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible