Dancing with Colonels: A Young Woman's…

Dancing with Colonels: A Young Woman's Adventures in Wartime Turkey

by Marjorie Havreberg

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like biographies and have read a number that are composed of letters by one or more people. The letters tell of the feelings of the people concerned, the events they live through and the society in which they live. The letters stand alone in the telling. An example is “Speaking for Themselves: The Personal Letters of Winston and Clementine Churchill”

In “Dancing with Colonels” the introduction “From Redfield to Washington to Ankara” by Judy Barrett Litoff provides the political and historical background for Havreberg’s life in Turkey. The letters fill in her personal details. ( )
  pmarshall | Jul 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is exactly the kind of history I love - a particular period of time (In this case WWII) seen through the eyes of an "ordinary" person. Although, perhaps it is not fair to call Havreberg ordinary. How many women, especially in those days were so independent, and had such adventures?! The book is a collection of letters from Havreberg to her family - first from DC where she served as a secretary in the office of Senator Norbeck, and then from Turkey where she worked for the War Department. ( )
  cransell | Jul 1, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dancing With Colonels, is a biography of a piece of Marjorie Havreberg’s life. Specifically the time she spent in Turkey during and after WWII. The entire book is letters Marjorie wrote home. It was a very interesting read, and I have to say I didn’t know Turkey was neutral during the war. The book made me curious to read more about Turkey. Also I want to go to the restaurant she’s always talking about, Karpic’s, I wonder if it’s still there. I wish we could’ve read some of Marjorie’s letters from her family. I would’ve liked to have known what they thought of all her travels. Seeing the world must have been easier at that time, than it is now. Marjorie mentioned a few times how she wouldn’t be one of those people who thought traveling was such an amazing accomplishment. She had quite an adventurous life and I envy her. ( )
  book_in_hand | Jun 15, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book intriguing, and full of interesting history of which I was not aware. My parents both graduated from University of South Dakota in the late 30s, so I appreciated the perspective of another South Dakotan. Not as much actual war history as I would have liked, but the personal stories Marjorie tells, via letters home, show us a glimpse of what it was like to be an insider in a war-weary country. The pictures provided a reliable backdrop. This is going to be vital history as we go more and more computer oriented. Was glad to read it, although it is not a book I will keep on my shelf. ( )
  Readerwoman | Feb 29, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book (admittedly I really like epistolary type books. I found this one kind of sweet in nature. Told from the viewpoint of someone in the thick of war but it wasn't so much about the war but what life is like surrounding it. It has more a cultural feel to it in that sense. I can see how this book wouldn't be for everyone but I found it whimsical.
  Myckyee | Feb 28, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marjorie Havreberg's book Dancing with Colonels: A Young Woman in Wartime Turkey was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible