The Marx Brothers Meet Robin Hood by Dan…

The Marx Brothers Meet Robin Hood

by Dan Castell

I recieved this book through the Librarything Member giveaway.
I found it to be a cute & fun little story. It is great for teenagers or adults just wanting an easy read.

Placing Groucho & his brother in Nottingham fighting for or against Robin Hood, this story has both excitement and humor. Robin Hood is battling the Deputy of Nottingham. He is joined by his usual crew (Little John, Friar Tuck & Marion, who is now his wife), with a little help from Chico. Groucho gets captured and forced into service with the king's men led by the Deputy, who is trying to make a name for himself while the Sheriff is on vacation. ( )
  pamkaye | May 10, 2012 |
The Marx Brothers Meet Robin Hood (Dan Castell, 2011) is a longer-short story (small novel) where the Groucho Marx meets Robin Hood who mistakes him for a spy. As with the original comedy works of the Marx Brothers, there are simple comedic jokes throughout.

In this version of Robin Hood, Robin and Maid Marion are married and have kids, and the familiar characters are in the book (Little John, Sheriff of Nottingham - although just at the end). Good book, very fast paced. Perfect YA Fiction for boys. ( )
  RShelton | Mar 28, 2012 |
Sorry readers I could not find a website, blog or even a picture for this author. If anyone knows of the website or blog please post it in the comments for everyone. This book was a contest win from the librarything.com members giveaway. This win in no way influenced my opinion or review of this book. To form your own opinion of this book please acquire your own legal copy of this book and support the author.

This book is a little about Robin Hood and two brothers. This book is more of a comic read than anything. Yes there is Marion, Robin Hood, Little John, and at the end the sheriff of Nottingham.

All this book needed was the pictures that are in a comic book and it would be a great read for someone that likes comic's. With that being said, this is a great book for a teenager especially a male to read. This is not the average book that an adult would read.

In this book it has Robin Hood and Maiden Marion are married with three children. The sheriff is almost absent until the very end. It is the deputy sheriff that is constantly after Robin Hood.

I enjoyed the original Robin Hood story and I thought I would like this variation of the Robin Hood story, but it just was not there. Yes, the book was well written with no grammar mistakes, nor did it need any editing. I just did not like the authors variation.

The bunnies and I give this book 2-Carrots. ( )
  kybunnies | Feb 19, 2012 |
An interesting book. Not really my style, though.
  livingoakheart | Jan 11, 2012 |
I received an eBook of the short story "The Marx Brothers Meet Robin Hood" direct from the author, Dan Castell, as a part of the LibraryThing Member Giveaways program. While labeled a "Short Story" it does run a little longer than some short stories. I'd say if this were a regular book it would run around 37 pages – at the average rate of 250 words a page (a novelette?).

There isn't a big set-up as to why Groucho is wandering Sherwood Forest, but Robin Hood quickly captures him and marks him for death after mistaking Groucho as a spy for the "Naughty" Sheriff of Nottingham. Groucho quickly meets most of the characters from the famous novel... in a time period shortly after that novel's end (Robin and Marian now have kiddos...er..."Hoodlets").

The jokes and one-liners are constant – as you should expect from The Marx Brothers. Prior knowledge of who the Marx Brothers are is important, but not fully necessary. Knowing the speech patterns of Groucho and Chico helps bring the fun out more (NOTE: Harpo does not appear in this story...nor Zeppo or Gummo for completists).

The word play is a delight, but eye-rolling will happen too (as I said, it is The Marx Brothers). There is also a Monty Python-esque touch to the humor too... which isn't unwelcome.

The writing is similar to that of a script and in present tense. So, it ends up being very film-like (or...comic book-like). I enjoyed it.

This short story is scheduled to be a part of the short story collection called, "The Marx Brothers Meet God 2: Lost Tales of the Lost Boys in Paradise" (which is a companion piece of the novel "The Marx Brothers Meet God" which is also forthcoming). I asked the author in an email when these would be expected, and his response was, "by the end of this year."

Is this story a part of The Great American Novel?

Will you have fun reading it?

"You Bet Your Life!" ( )
1 vote antmusic | Jan 5, 2012 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Dan Castell's book "The Marx Brothers Meet Robin Hood" was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Dan Castell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,444,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible