Losing Clementine: A Novel by Ashley Ream

Losing Clementine: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Ashley Ream

Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, ARC, artist, suicide

Losing Clementine: A Novel by Ashley Ream

An interesting read. It was witty, biting, sad, revealing and well-written.
Clementine has severe bi-polar, and she has decided to commit suicide in 30 days.
This novel was a 30-day count down to that event.
Really enjoyable. ( )
  coolmama | Jan 7, 2013 |
A funny, sarcastic book about a woman preparing to commit suicide (yes … you read that right), Losing Clementine is Ream’s debut novel and it is good! Clementine is a successful artist who lives with her beloved cat (in fact, one of her pre-suicide tasks is finding a suitable home for the cat). Her primary relationships center on her confusing interactions with her ex-husband, her rivalry with a fellow artist, and the recent firing of her supportive assistant. Tired of being depressed and dealing with various mental health issues, Clementine decides “enough is enough” and gives herself 30 days to get her affairs in order. However, as she tidies up the loose ends of her life (including the fate of her absentee father), she finds that life may have more to offer her than she first thought. I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but this book is really quite life-affirming, and I suspect you’ll enjoy exploring Clementine’s psyche as much as I did. I’m excited to see what Ream writes next as this was a great start to her career. ( )
  Jenners26 | Jan 5, 2013 |
Funniest serious novel about suicide I've ever read! Truthfully, a realistic look at the impact of depression on the will to live, from an author with a huge sense of humor and a sharp eye for detail. I will definitely read her next book. ( )
  cherilove | Aug 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Clementine Pritchard plans to commit suicide. This novel follows the last thirty days of her life as she plans for her demise. Among her projects are finding her father, who disappeared years ago, finding new owners for her cat, and obtaining the animal tranquilizers that will do the deed.

I really liked this book. Clementine is endowed with a wicked sense of humor, and there's plenty of entertaining snark in the first-person narrative. We learn more about Clementine's traumatic family life over the course of the book. There are also plenty of lush and interesting descriptions of Los Angeles (and of Mexican food- I found myself frequently getting hungry while reading this.)

The one thing I found unsatisfactory about this book was the ending. The concept for the book is excellent. I'm not sure, though, that it's possible to have a satisfying ending to this sort of story. We spend the duration of the book wondering if Clementine will kill herself of not. Either way, it seems, the reader will be disappointed. This reader was quite disappointed in the ending. ( )
  lahochstetler | Jul 29, 2012 |
Thanks to Jen at Book Club Girl for providing me with a copy of this. Check out this link for Ashley Ream's discussion of Losing Clementine. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/book-club-girl/2012/04/11/ashley-ream-discusses-los...

This novel is about a young woman artist who suffered a terrible family tragedy when she was a child. As a result she is mentally ill and unable to cope with life unless she is taking a boat load of medication. Clementine decides to end her life and the story is told in the days leading up to her planned suicide. At first I really liked Clementine's snarky, sarcastic voice. As the novel went on though I grew to dislike her selfishness. She has no problem sleeping with her ex husband who is currently in another relationship or her therapist. Richard the ex puppy dog husband really grated on my nerves. The worst thing about the book was that the plot was pointless. I think we were meant to go on some emotional journey with Clementine while she sexed and ate towards death. Part of the problem was Clementine had the emotional depth of a puddle. To make matters worse the ending was so abrupt. We finally reach the countdown of day one, Clementine's self appointed date with death and the author pulls a plot point in that was never even discussed in the novel and abruptly ends the book. The whole novel was a hot mess for me. While I did not enjoy the novel I always find Book Girls chats with the authors insightful so check out her podcast even if you chose to skip the book. ( )
  arielfl | May 26, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062093630, Paperback)

In thirty days Clementine Pritchard will be finished with her last painting and her life.

World-renowned artist and sharp-tongued wit Clementine Pritchard has decided that she's done. After flushing away a medicine cabinet full of prescriptions, she gives herself thirty days to tie up loose ends—finish one last painting, make nice with her ex-husband, and find a home for her cat. Clementine plans to spend the month she has left in a swirl of art-world parties, manic work sessions, and outrageous acts—but what she doesn't expect is to uncover secrets surrounding the tragedy that befell her mother and sister. In an ending no one sees coming, will we lose Clementine or will we find her?

A bold debut from an exciting new voice, Losing Clementine is a wonderfully entertaining and poignant novel about unanticipated self-discovery that features one of the most irresistible, if deeply flawed, characters to grace contemporary fiction in years.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:35 -0400)

"A new writer makes her fiction debut with a tale involving a renowned artist's impending suicide"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Losing Clementine by Ashley Ream was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible