The Royal Wulff Murders: A Novel by Keith…

The Royal Wulff Murders: A Novel

by Keith McCafferty

I read this book way back April/May, but never really got to writing a review for it. I was looking for a new series to read and this one seemed like a good choice since I got Longmire vibes when it came to the story. Well, it got a sheriff and it takes place in Montana. Also, I was hoping to get approved for the latest book in the series so I bought this one so I had some back story to the latest one if I got approved, which I did.

The body of a young man is reeled in by a fishing guide and Sheriff Martha Ettinger suspects that it's murder. Ettinger then crosses paths with a newcomer to the state; fly fisher, painter, and an ex-privet detective Sean Stranahan. Stranahan is hired to find the brother of singer Velvet Lafayette even though Stranahan no longer works as a privet detective. Stranahan and Ettinger's soon finds that their cases seemed to be linked together.

I must admit that the case it itself really didn't hook me that much, it took some time for me to get into the story. I mean I love the characters, both Ettinger and Stranahan are great and I love all the flirting between them, there is an attraction, but none of that nonsense instalove stupidity. But it was a hell of a lot of fly fishing and the case just felt so-so. Well until the ending, when everything started to come together. Then, the story really started to work for me.

So this book started to slow but got up to speed towards the end. It was well written, I loved the character and I know after reading the latest book that it will just keep on getting better. And, the best part? There are two unread books of which I own one. And, now after writing this review am I really excited to start reading it! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 10, 2017 |

| Feb 9, 2016 | edit |
This book was thoroughly enjoyable, the author is knowledgable about seemly all facets of fly fishing, and the way he weaves it into the main story is flawless. Remains very interesting from the beginning to the conclusion. Excellent job! ( )
  pigeon_racer | Jun 19, 2013 |
Fishing, fly or in any other variety, is not my thing at all. Heck, I hardly even eat fish, mostly only under duress. I am perfectly happy to let them keep doing their thing. Nor do I have any desire to ever go fishing myself. Mysteries aren't my preferred reading either. But I try to be somewhat open-minded about my reading choices, so when the lure of a fly fishing mystery was dropped in front of me, I bit.

Should I have? Maybe not. The opening parts were definitely hard on me. There was so much fishing, like back-to-back fishing. This probably would have been okay if there had been some interesting conversations accompanying the fishing, but a lot of it was just someone out fishing with lots of details of fish and lures and bait and whatever. So not my thing.

Thankfully, things picked up when the sheriff got more page time. I liked her; she's a sassy woman kicking butt in a traditionally masculine profession. Plus, she doesn't fish, which meant that that did not happen much when she was around.

On the contrary, I did not like Velvet at all. The stage name is ridiculous, but her real name, Vareda Beaudreux, is no better. Really though, that's not the issue, because that would be absurd and unfair. Velvet/Vareda is one of those women that men all of over the world seem to obsess over: beautiful, tortured, mysterious. A completely different writer, John Green, has written two books about girls like this. What is the fascination, guys? I'd like to know because I so do not get it. Throw the crazy ones back!

Basically, I'm not an ideal judge of this book. However, I do think that as mysteries go, it's a pretty good one. Anyone who loves to fish and to read mysteries should not miss this. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
Royal Wulff Murders, The Keith McCafferty
4 STARS
The only complaints that I have for this story is swearing and too much about fly fishing for me. The Mystery was well written and kept me guessing who and why for the murder.
I like the range of characters, Also it left open for possible future stories.
Rainbow Sam a fishing guide was in a boat with a client fly fishing, when the client finally caught something. A dead body.
Sean Stranahan is new to Montana. He is now a painter but he was a private detective when he was younger. To get in the cheaper office he had to put on it on the door under artist.
He had a walk in client that wanted to pay him to fly fish looking for fish that her father had caught than marked so she can find the area her father wrote about and leave his ashes their. Also look for her brother that was fishing to find it also.
Sean is living in his office so he can save money till he sells some paintings. He just got divorced and moved from Vermont.
Sheriff Martha Ettinger thinks their is something wrong with the young man who died in the river. No one seemed to know who he was. No wallet or car was found.
I liked listening to this mystery on my kindle and would love to read more from Keith in the future.
I was given this ebook to read in exchange of honest review from Netgalley.
02/16/2012 PUB Penguin Group, USA Viking Imprint ( )
  rhonda1111 | Mar 6, 2012 |

A clever and fast-paced murder mystery full of wit, suspense, and fly fishing.

When a fishing guide reels in the body of a young man on the Madison, the Holy Grail of Montana trout rivers, Sheriff Martha Ettinger suspects foul play. It's not just the stick jammed into the man's eye that draws her attention; it's the Royal Wulff trout fly stuck in his bloated lower lip. Following her instincts, Ettinger soon finds herself crossing paths with Montana newcomer Sean Stranahan.

Fly fisher, painter, and has-been private detective, Stranahan left a failed marriage and lackluster career to drive to Montana, where he lives in an art studio decorated with fly-tying feathers and mouse droppings. With more luck catching fish than clients, Stranahan is completely captivated when Southern siren Velvet Lafayette walks into his life, intent on hiring his services to find her missing brother. The clues lead Stranahan and Ettinger back to Montana's Big Business: fly fishing. Where there's money, there's bound to be crime.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:27 -0400)

Sheriff Martha Ettinger investigates the suspected murder of a young man retrieved from the Madison River in Montana with a trout fly stuck in his lip.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,714,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible