Curse the Names by Robert Arellano

Curse the Names (2012)

by Robert Arellano

I don't know if 'pre-Apocalyptic' is a genre yet, but that's where this book seems to sit. I thought it was brilliant: a disturbing and dark tale of a man's disintegration in the hot summer glare of Los Alamos. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I began reading this one a couple of times, but never could finish it. Therefore, I'm unable to give it a proper review.
  LiteraryFeline | Apr 9, 2013 |
A reporter for the Los Alamos company paper is lured to an abandoned house where he has visions of a nuclear apocalypse and the house's violent past. Ends with maybe holocaust/ maybe not. OK. ( )
  Figboucher | Mar 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting little book which would seem right at home in the bizarre book section at your local head shop. The story and premise start out intriguing but they both fail to fully deliver.

I think there is a great story here but it just didn't quite do it for me. The pacing was engaging and I certainly was able to visalize the character and scenes. I think the author almost delivered on this one and could have knocked this one out of the park with a few tweaks to the storyline.

Would I recommened this one? Probably not. I will however be looking forward to the next book by this author because I think he has tremendous imagination and potential. ( )
  copefiend2 | Oct 4, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It was an interesting book, but it left me unsatisfied. The pace is good, the storyline has potential, but it is missing a lot of context or informations. Can't really put my finger on it, but I did feel lost at some point, the story taking me in different direction without actually telling me why. It left a lot of questions and I felt like I was missing the point. ( )
  ct.bergeron | Sep 23, 2012 |

HIGH ON A MESA IN THE MOUNTAINS OF NEW MEXICO, a small town hides a dreadful secret. On a morning very soon there will be an accident that triggers a terrible chain reaction, and the world we know will be wiped out.

JAMES OBERHELM, A REPORTER at Los Alamos National Laboratory, already sees the devastation, like the skin torn off a moment that is yet to be. He believes he can prevent an apocalypse, but first James must escape the devices of a sensuous young blood tech, a lecherous old hippie, a predator in a waking nightmare, and a forsaken adobe house high away in the Sangre de Cristo mountains whose dark history entwines them all.

A MASSIVE BOMB IS TICKING beneath the sands of the Southwest, and time is running out to send a warning. James has to find a way to pass along the message—even if it ruins him.

High on a mesa in the mountains of New Mexico, a small town hides a dreadful secret. On a morning very soon there will be an accident that triggers a terrible chain reaction, and the world we know will be wiped out. James Oberhelm, a reporter at Los Alamos National Laboratory, already sees the devastation, like the skin torn off a moment that is yet to be. He believes he can prevent an apocalypse, but first he must escape the devices of a sensuous young blood tech, a larcenous old hippie, a predator in a waking nightmare, and a forsaken adobe house high away in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains whose dark history entwines them all. A massive bomb is ticking beneath the sands of the Southwest, and time is running out to send a warning. James has to find a way to pass along the message -- even if it ruins him.--From back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robert Arellano's book Curse the Names was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Akashic Books

An edition of this book was published by Akashic Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible