The Last Way Station: Hitler's Final…

The Last Way Station: Hitler's Final Journey

by Jon Reisfeld

155647,891 (4)None
demons (1) disturbing (1) dreams (1) ebook (1) Hitler (2) horror (1) Jews (1) monsters (1) murder (1) Nazi (1) novella (1) novells (1) punishment (1) suicide (1) to-read (3) torture (1) WWII (1)

This was totally different. A what if story about Hitler and the end of his run for total world domination. This was a short story that took no time to read. I know I wouldn't have gotten this book if it wasn't for free.

Just totally different.
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

Just totally different.
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
Description:

On April 30, 1945, Adolf Hitler puts a pistol to his head and pulls the trigger, ending his monstrosity of a life; but soon after, he finds himself at "a way station" between Heaven and Hell - awaiting judgement.Will the atrocities he's forced to relive bring redemption or damnation? Or is the evil within him too strong for salvation?

Review:

This seventy-two page novella caught me completely by surprise. I don't particularly enjoy reading books based on the "what ifs" of real events. I feel like fictitious accounts take away from the real circumstances these books are based on. Adolf Hitler was an evil man, and his acts of hate, murder, and genocide are still sensitive and taboo topics of discussion. A book about his crimes was expected, but I did not expect a book chronicling his possible journey into the afterlife and the punishment he received there. This is a very interesting and unsettling topic, and John Reisfeld brings up a good point - What would be an appropriate punishment for Hitler's earthly sins? Well, if this purgatorial afterlife existed, then I'd have to say that Hitler would get a fitting castigation. The way the author describes Hitler's personal "Hell" is detailed and disturbing. The fact that Hitler had to relive the horrors he imposed on his victims was strangely fitting, yet difficult to read - the pain and suffering of these people is unimaginable, and I was glad the book didn't go deep into his crimes. It was interesting to delve into the speculative psychology of Hitler, and to realize the depth of his hateful convictions. Overall, I appreciated this fast-paced novella for its interesting plot and its thought-provoking topic. I recommend this novella to adults who are intrigued by historical fiction/fantasy.

Rating: On the Run (4/5)

***I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Jan 23, 2012 |
This was quite an interesting read. First of all it's a novella and it contains only 74 pages, so it's quite rapid to get through. I actually enjoyed this quite a bit. Jon the author is quite talented here, writing about this delicate subject which is Adolph Hitler. Don't get me wrong, this book doesn't really go into gross details of the Jewish camps and all the horrors that went on during that war. But it's more about when Hitler dies after committing suicide.
He's then confronted by an afterlife juror or devil that makes him relive the horrors himself one by one until he can himself feel the pain his victims felt over and over. In this book it makes you as a reader think what would be a good punishment for Hitler for all the wrong he has done? I thought this book was very poignant and vivid with imagery. Jon Reisfeld has succeeded in making this novella a great success with this reader. ( )
  recupefashion | Dec 21, 2011 |
After Hitler pulled the trigger to end his life, this story carries on with a fictional account of what his next step might be in the way station. Would he have any remorse? The descriptions of what Hitler did to the Jews are haunting, but Hitler's despicable attitude and lack of humanity are even more so.

By the end of this novelette--you can read the story quickly--you'll wonder what just desserts are coming for this evil man. I didn't see the ending coming, it carries a nice punch. A disturbingly eloquent read. I only wish the things this creature did before this story begins weren't true. ( )
  Todd_Russell | Dec 6, 2011 |

Jon Reisfeld is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,370,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible