In Rosa's Mexico by Campbell Geeslin

In Rosa's Mexico

by Campbell Geeslin

172587,099 (3)None

This book is composed of three separate fables: a rooster that crows violets to help support Rosa's family, a clay pot that takes Rosa to heaven to pick out a star, and a wolf that a gives Rosa a missing wedding ring. I like the magic that is displayed in each of the fables, as well as the Spanish vocabulary used frequently in the text. This book would be appropriate for the primary grades 1-3 to share some magical multicultural fables and to introduce some Spanish vocabulary.
  DanielleJorgenson | Nov 12, 2013 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. There are three very short stories, almost fables, that are engaging and magical for very young readers. What I dislike about this, and other books by Geeslin, is the mixing of Spanish words into an English text. As a parent trying to raise a bilingual child, I make a point of separating the two languages in order to model good language skills. The sprinkling of Spanish words might be desirable for Anglo parents who want their kids to pick up a little Spanish vocabulary, but is of little use for those of us wishing to develop true fluency in both languages for our children. When I read this book aloud to my daughter, I simply translate it, telling the story in EITHER English OR Spanish, without mixing the two. ( )
  madu | Jan 21, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067986721X, Hardcover)

Three stories of laughter, luck, and magic carry the precocious Rosa across the hillsides of Mexico. Elemental language conveys Rosa's encounters with a flower-bearing chicken, a gift-giving wolf, and an enchanted cooking pot. The vivid watercolor paintings of artist Andrea Arroyo bring Rosa and her delightful friends to life, while writer Campbell Geeslin's concise sentences prove the perfect vehicle for introducing simple Spanish words. A Spanish-English glossary accompanies the text. (Ages 4-7)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:29 -0400)

In separate encounters with a rooster, a burro, and a wolf, a young Mexican girl is able to magically make things better. Each story uses some Spanish words, which are listed in the brief "Spanish-English dictiorary."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,452,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible