Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer

Identity Crisis (2005)

by Brad Meltzer, Michael Bair (Illustrator), Rags Morales (Illustrator)

IDENTITY CRISIS is a book that I read simply because I got sick of running into spoilers while attempting to read about it on the Internet. Now that I've read it, I see why there's so much spoilerific content out there - it's a work that's difficult to talk about without giving away significant chunks of the plot. Suffice to say, then, that this is a graphic novel in which a minor, but not unknown, character in the DC Universe loses their life in the first chapter. This is an event that should not have much emotional heft to it, but the creators of said graphic novel do such a wonderful and efficient job of making you emotionally invested in said character that it indeed does. The remainder of the story concerns the unraveling of the mystery behind said character's death, and this is also played out with great skill. The only major caveat I would give to the prospective reader is that this work may be a little too "inside-baseball" for someone who is new to the DC Universe - I have been reading DC comics on and off for more than 40 years and there are a lot of references that I just didn't get.

A final note: one of the most enjoyable aspects of this edition are the many extras (creator commentaries and the like) in the back of the book. If you (like me) are as fascinated by the creative process that goes into a work like this as you are the work itself, make sure you don't skip this part. ( )
  artturnerjr | Apr 8, 2014 |
A chilling and beautifully drawn story that takes on the hardest part of being a superhero: dealing with loved ones killed because of who you are. It's a drama, a play, and a murder mystery all rolled into one that really draws out the emotional reality of superheros. I was a little lost as to who was who in the beginning because I'm not very familiar with DC Comics, but I figured most of it out as I progressed through the story. While I felt this story had great impact, lovers of DC Comics will really find their heartstrings ripped out. ( )
1 vote Starsister12 | Dec 27, 2013 |
This isn't as action-packed as a lot of these "Crisis" events DC puts out. More of a mystery, which was fine with me. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
I've not read a lot of books from DC, so I don't have much comparison to make to other Justice League story-lines. I'll just say that Identity Crisis reminds me of themes and plot points of The Watchmen. I think The Watchmen comes together more cleanly and has tighter dialogue and framing, but then again, Moore and Gibbons had a fresh set of characters to shape, whereas this book has to deal with decades of previous works about these characters and future ramifications of any major events for the DC Multiverse. Upon first reading (and without knowing what happens before or after this series), I can't help but say that The Watchmen is a better exploration of the effect that wearing "the mask" has on individuals and their families and of the ethical questions of wielding nearly limitless power. ( )
1 vote Brian.Gunderson | Sep 24, 2013 |
Beautiful build up, new POV, well drawn, but weak revelation/climax. ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |

Brad Meltzerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bair, MichaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Morales, RagsIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Whedon, JossIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ben Rubin, my Poppy, who used to make up the best Batman stories just because he knew I loved hearing them. -Brad Meltzer
Dedicated to Ralph, Flerida and Lisa. To Kyra, Lorraine, Devon, Isabel and Gwendolen. For friends, and a family's love and support; in the end that is what this story is about. And to the naysayers because this book speaks of perseverance as well. Dad, chapter five is for us. I love you all. -Rags Morales
Opal City. Thirty minutes to now. Ralph Dibny and Lorrainne Reilly. Co-workers.
She doesn't get annoyed often...But when she does, it reminds me of one thing...there are some things more potent than Kryptonite.
People aren't stupid, Wally. They believe what they want to believe. And hear what they want to hear.

When the wife of superhero Elongated Man is murdered in her own home, superheroes join forces to scour the country for clues and suspects, while five champions stay behind to protect a secret that could change the world forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,124,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible