Start Shooting by Charlie Newton

Start Shooting

by Charlie Newton

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
A very enjoyable tale with powerhouse action scenes that explode out of nowhere. Highly recommended.

For my complete review please visit "The Mystery Bookshelf" at http://wp.me/p6kwu-Xl ( )
  johnbsheridan | Jan 17, 2012 |
Every once in awhile, I come across a book I just can't get into. I put it aside, pick it back up, try to figure out the problem. This was one of those books for me. The plot could have - should have - grabbed my attention. Instead, it felt like I'd been spun around in circles and I couldn't get my bearings.

This book is written in first person, with two POV characters, but they felt the same to me. Each narrated and spoke in short, clipped phrases. An abundance of one word sentences like "Blink" and "Breathe", made it read more like a screenplay than a novel. And I didn't connect or even like either character.

Things could have gotten better by the end, but I gave up halfway through. ( )
  Darcia | Jan 11, 2012 |
Chicago has been chosen the Olympic city for 2016. The action begins in the gang dominated neighborhood of Four Corners. Two brothers, Bobby and Raul Vargas grow up there and enter the police force.

Coleen Brennan was Bobby's girlfriend. She was white and he wasn't and this was a dangerous thing in the race rules of Four Corners. She was age thriteen when she was raped and murdered.

"The Chicago Herald" runs an expose stating that in the future days, they will show that Bobby and Raul were the two men who killed Coleen.

The story moves quickly with an interesting literary style with chapter's beginning with a quote from the expose and then moving to current events. Coleen's murder is said to be reprisal for racist policing but there is a question if she was raped to death as a gang initiation.

Anton Dupree was arrested, tried and found guilty of Coleen's murder. He was executed and now his mother is suing the city claiming that he was of low intelligence and easy to manipulate into confessing.

Bobby frear that the city will settle and he and his brother will be fired and then face civil action.

There are a number of levels to the story which is told in a darkly realistic manner. Japan had done something in WWII and should have been subject to criminal prosecution. Currently, a member of the company responsible for the criminal acts is influential in financing Chicago's Olmypics. Coleen's twin sister, Arlene returns to the city and begins a relationship with Bobby.

There is excellent dialogue and the writing moves across the pages effortlessly. Bobby Vargas is the type of protagonist we enjoy reading. He is brave, loyal, fearless and the center of an excellent novel. ( )
  mikedraper | Dec 6, 2011 |

“The best way I can describe the Four Corners neighbor­hood of Chicago is find a length of rebar, scratch a big cross into the concrete, set your feet solid in the quadrant you like best, lean back, and start shooting.”

Officer Bobby Vargas is hard-edged but idealistic, a Chicago cop who stands at the epicenter of a subterranean plot that will have horrific ramifications for both himself and the entire city. Twenty-five years earlier, a gruesome murder rocked the unforgiving streets of Four Corners. Now, sud­denly, a dying Chicago paper is running a serial exposé on new evidence in that old case, threatening to implicate Bobby and his older brother, Ruben—a decorated, high-ranking detective and cop- prince of the streets. The smear campaign stirs up decades-old bad blood, leading the Vargas brothers down an increasingly twisted and terrifying path, where the sins of the past threaten to destroy what remains of the truth.

As readers and critics discovered in his first novel, Calumet City, Charlie Newton’s Chicago is a landscape as brutal and poignant as any in modern crime fiction—a multi-faceted, shockingly violent labyrinth of gangland politics, political backstabbing, corporate malfeasance, and, possi­bly, hope. Start Shooting is a riveting read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

Twenty-five years after a gruesome murder rocked Chicago, a local newspaper runs an expose on new evidence in the case, a smear campaign that stirs up bad blood for officer Bobby Vargas and his brother Ruben, a high-ranking detective.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,340,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible