The Lewis Man (Lewis Trilogy) by Peter May

The Lewis Man (Lewis Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Peter May

Member:Amsa1959
Title:The Lewis Man (Lewis Trilogy)
Authors:Peter May
Info:Quercus (2011), Kindle Edition, 386 pages
Collections:Your library, Crime
Rating:*****
Tags:audio, 2013, Scotland

The Lewis Man by Peter May

English (37)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
This mystery finds Fin McLeod newly returned to the isle of Lewis in the Hebrides, following his divorce and resignation from the police. He is ostensibly rehabilitating his parents' home, but maybe, just maybe, he is hoping to renew his interest in Marsaili whose husband dramatically died in the previous novel and who he has loved since they were children. The story opens with the discovery of a body in a peat bog; it is initially thought to be an Iron Age man (note to self: read The Bog People) but in the autopsy, a tattoo of Elvis is found so this is just a murder victim. Because DNA profiles were taken in the previous novel, the murdered man is found to be related to Marsaili's father, Tormod Macdonald. But Tormod Macdonald turns out to be an assumed name and, because he is advanced stages of dementia, nobody can ask him about his family. And that relates to one of my problems with this book, for present-day events alternate with Tormod's memories of his horrifying life before he assumed the name of Tormod. I had to suspend disbelief because, although these memories are fascinating and essential to the plot, nobody in an advanced state of dementia could have such coherent and detailed memories. Everything moves along at a rapid pace, and May definitely held my interest as the story built to its conclusion. I am eager to read the third, and so far final, book in this series.
1 vote rebeccanyc | Apr 21, 2016 |
This mystery is set on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. A corpse has been uncovered in a peat bog, which is not unusual as bodies from hundreds and thousands of years ago have been discovered in such bogs all over Northern Europe. However, this one has a tattoo that reads "Heartbreak Hotel" and a metal plate in his skull. Given that only two previous murders have occurred on Lewis in more than one hundred years, it is understandable that the local police have a mystery on their hands. And then a DNA test suggests the corpse is related to an elderly man with dementia. Former DI Fin Macleod has returned to Lewis to work on his parents croft house. But the ties of friends and family pull him into the investigation. The story is about the search for identity of the dead man, the demented man and others. But it is also a story of revenge as the identities are revealed slowly and the events leading to the original death are replayed. This book further develops many of the characters introduced in The Blackhouse. Another great read from a master storyteller. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Mar 8, 2016 |
Rarely do I read novels in a series so close together, mostly because I’m caught up, but with this trio I’m not so it’s like reading one long, long book. And it works like one, too. There is little to no time-lapse between books and the story, while ostensibly about solving a murder, is mostly about Fin and his relationships. This time out it’s with his high school sweetheart’s father, Tormod, and his relationship to a dead man pulled out of a local bog. The narrative is mostly Tormod remembering and musing to himself, and sometimes having inappropriate outbursts due to severe alzheimer's. Because of the personal nature of the memories, not a lot is spelled out and May takes his time revealing his past. And part of the past is pretty horrible (orphanage from hell) so be warned. May sets the hook well though and Fin eventually gets to the truth. I already have my eye on the third book. ( )
  Bookmarque | Feb 10, 2016 |
A body is found in the peat bog on the isle of Lewis. The only clue to the body's identity is that he was related to a local farmer. But the local farmer Tormed Macdonald is a man with dementia and he has always claimed to be the only child.

It strange that the hardest reviews to write are actually for the books that I love. It's sometimes so hard to put into words how great a book is that I just want to say read it and you will see why it is so good.

The Lewis Man is such a book, just like the first book in the series; The Blackhouse. There is something so appealing with the story, the characters, the setting and, of course, the writing that I couldn't stop reading the book.

The case in this book is interesting, this is what I can remember the first book I have read when the suspect in a murder case has dementia and what makes the case even tougher is that the suspect is Tormod Macdonald, ex-police Fin Macleod's first loves father. He may not be a police anymore, but he needs to try to find out the truth, even if it would mean hurting his relationship with Marsaili Macdonald.

It was a great read from the beginning to the end. The ending wasn't that intense as in the last book, but it was still very good and I'm looking forward to reading the last book in the trilogy. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |
A great sequel. Lewis and the islands a evocative as ever and sympathetic voices. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
'That is wher they live:
not here and now, but where all happened once.'

From "The old fools" by Philip Larkin
In memory of my dad

A MAN WITH NO NAME. An unidentified corpse is recovered from a Lewis peat bog; the only clue to its identity being a DNA sibling match to a local farmer. A MAN WITH NO MEMORY. But this islander, Tormod Macdonald - now an elderly man suffering from dementia - has always claimed to be an only child. A MAN WITH NO CHOICE. When Tormod's family approach Fin Macleod for help, Fin feels duty-bound to solve the mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:16 -0400)

A body is recovered from a peat bog on the Isle of Lewis. The male Caucasian corpse is initially believed by its finders to be over 2000 years old, until they spot the Elvis tattoo on his right arm. The body, it transpires, is not evidence of an ancient ritual killing, but of a murder committed during the latter half of the 20th century.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,916,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible