Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating…

Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well) (edition 2012)

by Peter Kaminsky

Member:gigi4799
Title:Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well)
Authors:Peter Kaminsky
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:**

Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well) by Peter Kaminsky

2013 (2) 2030 (2) agribusiness (1) cookbook (2) cookery (1) cooking (9) culinary (1) culture (1) diet (1) diets (1) eating (1) ebook (2) ethics (1) fame (1) food (15) health (8) how-to (1) humor (1) library (1) memoir (1) non-fiction (9) nutrition (1) obesity (2) read (1) science (1) seh (1) spl (1) to-read (3) unowned (1) unread (1)

I really wanted to like this book, but it really spiraled downward for me after the first few chapters. I felt like I was reading a textbook. ( )
  bakenquilt | Sep 27, 2013 |
Though it is contains quite a bit of what some would consider to be 'conventional wisdom' for educated eaters, it strikes a really nice balance of storytelling, food lust and dietary wisdom.

I'd really recommend it to anyone who has less than ideal eating habits and who might be easily put off by reading a standard nutrition or diet book. Peter's got a great writing sensibility and has clearly been around the block a few times. One part jaded New Yorker, one part clever chef uncle, one part foodie, one part common sense nutritionist equals some good umami. I plan on gifting it to a few people. ( )
  Kevin-Farnham | May 25, 2013 |
I approve of a lot of what Peter Kaminsky is saying in this book: not eating processed foods, using good ingredients and learning how to cook them. Given that these are his central tenets, I found the descriptions of fabulous restaurant meals prepared for him by amazing chefs a little hard to stomach after a while. There's a lot of place- and person-name dropping in the book, which doesn't interest me at all. And it really read in places like an extended advertisement for all the other books he's written. Didn't work, I'm afraid. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Mar 31, 2013 |
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com/2012/11/culinary-intelligence.html

The subtitle to Culinary Intelligence - the art of eating healthy and really well - describes its purpose. Peter Kaminsky is a long time food writer. Over time, his career in food led to unhealthy eating habits and health concerns. This book culls his experience and lessons learned in his journey back to health. In that sense, it is another diet book.

As far as diet books go, this one mirrors the ideas of many that have come before. Eat for quality not quantity. Buy the best ingredients and then cook them well. When you eat flavorful, satisfying food, you are satisfied with smaller portions.

The author coins the concept of "flavor per calorie" or FPC. The goal of his diet becomes to maximize FPC. Some of the ways in which he does this stem from his worldwide experiences in the food industry. As such, I did not find some of the ideas or examples applicable to my life.

My favorite part of this book was the focus on the idea summarized in the quote above. These days, so much of the food literature focuses on nutrients - calories, fat, protein, carbohydrates, macronutrients, antioxidants and so on. I liked that this book highlights that food is not simply the sum total of its parts, but it can be something more. While focus on nutrition is key to a healthy body, we need to keep in mind more than that to evolve an overall healthy lifestyle. ( )
1 vote njmom3 | Nov 20, 2012 |
Not what I expected. Not what I wanted to read. Pass. (pre-publication review, via advance galley download) ( )
  ReneeGKC | Jul 11, 2012 |

"A formerly over-weight food writer tells us how to maximize flavor per calorie so we can keep our waistlines slim without sacrificing the joy of good food"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible