Shadow's Claim: Immortals After Dark:…

Shadow's Claim: Immortals After Dark: The Dacians (edition 2012)

by Kresley Cole

Member:Slion
Title:Shadow's Claim: Immortals After Dark: The Dacians
Authors:Kresley Cole
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Immortals after Dark

Shadow's Claim by Kresley Cole

Among all Lorekind so far, at least that I can remember, Trehan seems the most gentlemanly. Seems like demons and Lykae just keep letting their temper and rage get the best of them. Plus the whole Dacian thing of being civilized vampires, unlike the Horde. Then the backdrop of the tournament, which is like King Arthur style knights jousting, only with more gore and death, and, ah, a nymph floorshow. So altogether you have a more romanticized atmosphere.

I think that's why this relationship between Trehan and Bettina seemed the least violent, which was what I'd come to expect from the typical immortal being relationship. When you start reading an IAD book, after the shock of the first handful, you start unconsciously bracing yourself for the brutality. And when here there isn't much of that, it's... refreshing?

I did get inexplicably affected by the death of that one turned werewolf. :(

Favorite quote: “Take care, lest you lose a male who'll desire only you - and gain a male who'll desire only others.” - Trehan ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I liked this much better than I did Lothaire. first because the characters weren't as much a jerk as Lothaire was, the heroine brought a different touch this time around being a little more naïve than the others were and a little more dependent on the ones around her. Trehan was a fine specimen. Man. The things that vampire said and did were awesome. I liked that there was tension at the end and not the immediate HEA that I was getting the impression we would get. Good, very good. :) ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
An assassin of a secretive society of vampires who live in the mist comes to kill the demon of the princess only to find that she's his fated Bride. In order to win her as his own he forsakes everything to join a contest for her hand. The heroine spends most of the book in love with the demon and although she feels obvious lust for the vampire, it isn't until much later that she begins to feel more. To me the heroine was selfish and spoiled. Sure she's lost her powers and is forced to consent to the contest but she spends her time begging her demon friend to sleep with her and then to take part in the contest knowing full well that he's not her mate and if he enters it's ruining his life because he won't be able to be with his mate if he should find her. Also, she knows that the vampire is her mate but doesn't symphonize with his choice to give up everything to be with her. He's kind, protective and considerate and yet all she can think about his her demon friend. The way the vampire reacts to her constant talk of the demon is justified. Come on, he's given up his home, his people, and brought you the heads of your enemies! The least you can do is be a little grateful to have a male love you soo much. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
I LOVE Kresley, and am so excited she's spun off this series! Hot guy, crazy contest to win the girl's hand, secret interludes in the mist...

YUM! ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
This one was a bit different since it didn't involve as many of the previous characters we've read about in the IAD series. However, I did enjoy it. Getting to know both Bettina and Trehan was interesting. I did love the little veiled references to other characters and was very excited at the end when some of the characters we've grown to love made appearances. It will be interesting to see what the next Dacian book brings us. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
A savage kick to Princess Bettina of Abaddon's back severed her spinal cord. A blessing. The searing pain that had been clawing through her entire being faded below her waist to pinpoints of pressure, then tingles, then ... Nothing.

When he beholds Bettina, the sheltered ward of two of the Lore's most fearsome villains, swordsman Trehan Daciano, a.k.a. the Prince of Shadows, is determined to win her as his wife, even if it means enduring punishing contests.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,323,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible