Shadow's Claim: Immortals After Dark:…

Shadow's Claim: Immortals After Dark: The Dacians (edition 2012)

by Kresley Cole

2372048,722 (4.03)None
Member:Slion
Title:Shadow's Claim: Immortals After Dark: The Dacians
Authors:Kresley Cole
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Immortals after Dark

Shadow's Claim: The Dacians: Realm of Blood and Mist by Kresley Cole

I was just so happy to have another IAD related book. I was intrigued by The Dacians from Lothaire's book and I was happy to get a better glimpse of their lives.

Stuff I liked:
- Trehan is HOT HOT HOT...and the smex is even hotter.
- The phantom that follows Bettina around. I can't wait to see how his life turns out...he better get a book.
- The whole tournament concept.
- The plot twist at the end.
- NIX!

I didn't like:
- The slow start.
- Morganna, I just didn't like her...
- The plot twist at the end.

So the ending is somewhat predictable but...there is a twist at the end that is different and I somewhat didn't expect it. I also hate that whole "push the relationship apart after the climax" thing that KC does. I've never been a fan of it.

One of my favorite parts were the lead up to the battles. I found my heart pounding, waiting to learn what would happen. When Trehan fights THE BIG NASTY I was almost as tore up as Bettina.

This is a decent book. I can't wait for more. One of the few book series that has been going on FOREVER that I still stick with. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I devoured this book so quickly. Kresley Cole is my favorite author and I could read her books any day. This is the first book in a new series, but she slipped in characters from "Immortals After Dark", which made very happy. I liked the male protagonist very much, and learned to like the female protagonist. I wasn't ultimately worried because I fully believed the author would solve the love triangle and she did. I wish the princess would realize how wonderful her mate was and forget about her "best friend" earlier, but whatever. It was very suspenseful, and I was always guessing at what would happen next. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
I am not sure why it takes me so long to finish these books. Part of the problem is that it is spring and I would rather be outside with my hands in the dirt planting things that will make my yard the sanctuary that I want it. The other part is that I just don’t have the time to read that I had a few years ago. My husband being home has cut into the time I can just sit and enjoy a book. That being said I don’t want anyone to think that I am not enjoying this series or that I am having a great deal of trouble plowing through the stories.

I will say that one of the problems is that all the books since DEMON FROM THE DARK have covered the same time period. Each of these books contributes to the ongoing story of the coming Accession. The powers are aligning for the fight that has been brewing for 500 years. Alliances are being made and Nix is busy matchmaking throughout the Lore. Yes she makes an appearance in this story as well. Not much of one but she does pop in. I also understand that this is the first book in an offshoot of the Immortals After Dark series. I am guessing that we are going to get to read about Lothaire's other Dacia cousins finding their Brides. This could become very amusing.

Trehan Daciano is tracking a Demon that was given permission to enter Dacia and decided that he wanted to go home. While looking for the Demon Trehan finds his Bride. It is interesting to read about Trehan being pulled between his royalty to his house and his people and his Bride. Trehan can’t just abduct his Bride back to Dacia. He is going to have to fight a tournament for her hand and her kingdom. Most of the story is devoted to the tournament and Trehan's trying to win Bettina's love. He is frustrated and angry through most of the story. He is feeling things that he has felt in a millennium and his cold logical mind can’t handle the strain. He does have some tight calls in fighting for Bettina's hand. He also has some trouble with jealousy. He finally finds a way to reconcile his emotions and come to terms with how he feels about Bettina.

Bettina is a young Sorceress and Demon Halfling. She has led a protected life until she goes to school on the mortal plane. She is attacked by Vrekeners and almost killed. Bettina suffers from the attack and has stayed on her plane for the protection. She is shocked that a vampire is her mate. She has no friends except Caspion, the demon that escapes Dacia. Bettina thinks that Caspion is the one that she wants to marry. She has a very hard time accepting that Trehan is the male that she loves and needs. She makes a number of mistakes that almost lose her Trehan.

There is a lot going on in this book. There is also some repetition through the story since it is covering the same time frame as the other books. That being the case I think that is one of the problems with the getting through the books. I have been reading these books one after the other and therefor the repetition is more noticeable. I am thinking I will read different book and then read the last one that is available. I wish that there wasn't a year between books. There is at least one more book that is part of this time frame that will be out in August. ( )
  LadyIsis | May 25, 2014 |
Cole did not disappoint in the start of this off beat Dacian series. Trehan, her leading male, is dead sexy fighting for the right to claim his mate, a demoness/soceri halfling who's about to become queen.

Only one major things stands in his way- Trehan was originally sent to Kill her best friend and first love. Now he not only has to fight to claim her, but keep her best friend alive, even when he faces Caspian one on one in the ring at the tournament where every fight is t the death.

I love Cole's use of tortured characters, but the torture came late for this male- which was kind of a relief. I still yelled and screamed at the book, laughing with the characters and for them as well. It never ceases to amaze me how emotionally involved I become when reading one of Cole's books.

I can't wait for the next one... ( )
  Decadent.Kane | May 22, 2014 |
It's an old-fashioned sort of romance, really. He's a vampire. She's a demon princess and the prize in a no-holds barred, win-the-princess tournament. His existence is a secret, but she's his fated Bride. Competing for her hand means he's banished from his home forever, losing means he dies. Winning means he gains a kingdom - and has to kill her best friend... What could possibly go wrong with this scenario?

Set on an alternate plane, the events unfold in current time, but conveniently outside of the "real world". Clever, and fun to read.
  SunnySD | Nov 26, 2013 |
A savage kick to Princess Bettina of Abaddon's back severed her spinal cord. A blessing. The searing pain that had been clawing through her entire being faded below her waist to pinpoints of pressure, then tingles, then ... Nothing.

When he beholds Bettina, the sheltered ward of two of the Lore's most fearsome villains, swordsman Trehan Daciano, a.k.a. the Prince of Shadows, is determined to win her as his wife, even if it means enduring punishing contests.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,327,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible