Between Seasons by Aida Brassington

Between Seasons

by Aida Brassington

586204,058 (4)2

*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Patrick Boyle is 19 and his birthdate has come up in the Vietnam lottery. He is one day away from having to report for his physical before heading off to boot camp when he takes a tumble down the steps in his home and dies. That’s one way to get out of going to war. As he figures out that he’s really dead, Patrick then becomes confused as to why he’s still hanging out at home. Shouldn’t he be off to the great beyond? And he keeps wondering as the years pass and he has no way to leave the house. When Sara Oswald buys the house 40 years later, Patrick finally has something to break up the monotony, but when she starts channeling his memories things get really weird. What does it all mean? And can a ghost fall in love?

This story started out with an excellent premise. Patrick has a freak fall and now he’s a ghost stuck in his house. No matter what he tries he can’t leave the confines of the house. His mother can’t face staying there, so they move, but don’t sell. It’s a wonder Patrick didn’t go nutsy-poo being on his own for 40 years with little to keep him occupied. When Sara moves in things get even more interesting. And then…blerg. Patrick falls in love with Sara, Sara falls in love with Patrick and it turns into a sickly lovefest. “No, I love you more.” “No, I love you more.” Ad nauseam. Just shoot me now. They don’t bother trying to figure out anything that’s happening to Patrick. Oh, no. They’re too busy fawning all over each other. It went from being an exciting read to an absolute snoozefest. The bitchy sister made me want to snap her neck, Sara’s spinelessness made me want to shake her and Patrick’s obsession with Sara made me want to castrate him. And the ending? Dafuq?! I can only say that this story was quite the letdown for me. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Feb 24, 2015 |
Oh my wow!! That was beautiful. I almost felt like I'm in the house with Patrick and Sara.

Aida's writing is very descriptive, touching and unique. The story is so heartbreaking throughout most of it and you so desperately want to help Patrick find a solution for his predicament. Then your focus moves to Sara, and her crazy, religiously fanatic and annoying as hell sister.

The story wraps up almost unexpectedly, but definitely doesn't leave you hanging.

TheBookHammock | Sep 24, 2013 |
Reviewed on These Pretty Words Nov 4th.

Descriptive. That’s the one word that comes to mind when I think of Aida’s debut novel – a touching tale of a nineteen year old young man who dies on the very first page. What comes after that almost disturbingly detailed account of a simple fall down a flight of stairs is a beautiful and unique look at life… and love… after death.

Patrick haunts his childhood home for decades, alone and isolated from the rest of the world… until the day Sara walks in the door. Almost immediately she seems to have a sense of something or someone in the house, watching her, interacting with her. She does what many of us have probably done at one point or another – she talks to the nothing around her. And she absolutely captivates the dead young man still roaming the shag-carpeted halls.

This book absolutely drowns you in the emotions of its characters. From the loneliness and sorrow of a long-dead Patrick, trapped in the same house he died in, to the anguish of the heartbroken Sara. Through the sweetness of falling in love and the bitterness of lost dreams. From the pain of feeling disconnected from everyone to finding that special someone who gets it… gets you. Even if he is dead.

The bad: Take everything you think you know about ghosts and throw it all out the window. The world Aida builds includes touching… kissing… sleeping. It’s a fresh view on life after death, and I absolutely loved it!

The characters are written true and bold, with flaws and quirks that make them stand right up off the page. The plot is intriguing and keeps the reader engaged right from the first page. The writing is witty, a bit snarky at times, and utterly captivating. I definitely recommend buying this lovely, unique, wonderful novel and giving it a read. It’s well worth the time. I’d love to see a sequel written, Miss Aida. ( )
  ThesePrettyWords | Sep 23, 2013 |
Way off the beaten track for me.

In the 1960s, a young man dies from a fall in his home. His parents can neither bear to live there anymore, nor to sell it. The remainder of himself that wasn’t buried cannot find a way out of the house, and he spends his time trying to figure out the parameters of his new existence. The house is sold after his parents die, forty years later, to a writer. As he watches over her shoulders, he sees that she is writing his thoughts.

I don’t read much in the paranormal line, so can’t really compare. I thought it was an imaginative enough story; it just didn’t grip me. Unfortunately, too, it showed its freebie kindle status with eighteen edit issues. ( )
  countrylife | Jun 28, 2012 |
This is a really intriguing concept for a book, I mean could you imagine being stuck in a house for years after your death? I myself am not a fan of a lot of ghost stories, mostly because they tend to lean towards the horror genre, and thank goodness this is not a horror genre book. I do however like a good story that makes the ghost a character that has depth as well as draws me into the character enough for me to forget that they are actually a non-corporeal person.

Patrick's story is just so sad right off the bat, you can't help but feel bad for a guy who dies and is trapped in a house. It's hard to watch the parents who have lost their child leave the house and watch poor Patrick have to go through his own wake. I think the most impressive thing about the book and about Patrick was that the book didn't get stale. Even though the book takes place in one real location, with someone essentially stuck there, it never got repetitive. I can't stress how much of an accomplishment it is that the book didn't get old throughout the entire thing.

I think the biggest concern for me in this book was, I was really craving some kind of emotional relationship with the two characters. So when Sara shows up my main concern was how the relationship was going to pan out and when she moved into the house, I literally felt like I was on pins and needles waiting to see how the two of them are going to finally going to talk and interact and maybe even fall in love.

Overall I enjoyed the book, and the whole thing was a pleasant surprise. I'm not entirely sure I would recommend this book for YA readers, but anyone who likes a good romance or even looking for a new take on the idea of a "ghost" story. ( )
  HomeLoveBooks | Feb 13, 2012 |

Patrick Boyle dies in the fall of 1970, just days before he's due to report for the Vietnam War draft, which seems like a good thing until he realizes he's stuck in the house with no indication of when he'll be escorted to heaven. And after his parents leave the house, he's trapped without company -- until a mysterious woman who can channel his memories buys the house forty years later. The spring brings with it new life, but falling in love with the new owner may only bring heartbreak to them both.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,375,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible