Stalking the Others by Jess Haines

Stalking the Others

by Jess Haines

I read the last line and went wtf..wtf..wtf!? Evil author alert. I sat up and shook my fist, ok so I did not shake my fist but I stared at bf for a while and trying to comprehend that the book had just ended. Now you all think cliffie, but it was not really a cliffie. All was good, sort of good for now, it was just what was going on and ..I truly want to spill the beans but you have to read for yourself to find out what made me crave book 5 more than chocolate, and I adore chocolate.

But that was the last page.*giggles* Oh Haines you evil awesome author.

Now see, I got sidetracked yet again, I shall not think about the end. So the book starts with a pissed off Shia and who can blame her. Possibly infected with the were virus and having found out that her boyfriend cheated on her. That effing bastard. And think I liked him for a while! So the hunt is on and she wants the Sunstrikers to pay. This is really a different Shia in this book. Sure she was always kick-ass but now she is also angry, and you do not want to see her angry.

We meet the white hats again, they are kind of growing on me and we learn, nope, lips sealed again. But we learn something. And then we also meet Royce *happy sigh*. The vampire that made me like vampires again, because he just oozes sex.

Fighting, trouble and one ending that will make you want more. More please  *puppy eyes* Haines does so well with this book, even if I talk about the end a bit too much but trust me, it was just that good!
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
4.5/5
Wow, what a wild ride that was! I still think that Deceived by The Others is the strongest book in the series, because there is so much pain, shock and betrayal in it. However, Stalking The Others is behind it only by half a point.

Shia's got so much rage in her, so much anger. This is truly gritty urban fantasy, full of action, bitterness, tethered emotions and total self-absorption with delivering vengeance to those who wronged the main heroine.

Partly the change comes over Shia because of the magical belt she's wearing. If you remember previous books, the belt gave her a much needed edge over supernatural creatures at night, but by day its strength waned.

However, the darkness she absorbs every time she wears that belt is welcomed, so whatever has been happening from the very beginning of Miss Waynest's involvement with vampires and werewolves reached its critical point which broke her and molded her into something new.

Stalking The Others is turning the tables, and Shia becomes a hunter instead of being hunted. The plot is violent, action-packed and gritty with the ending that made me reminisce about Anita and Jean-Claude when it was all still fresh and new.

Not sure what to think of the ending, but it's clear that Jess Haines has quite a few aces up her sleeve, and I can not even predict the direction Shia's life will take from now, but I'm very much looking forward to finding out...

Fabulous read! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Started yesterday, November 07th, 2012. Got this for free through a Sony EBook Store Promotion.
I read it before realizing it was the 4th book of a series.
It was great, nice, but not explicit scene at the end.
So I bought the Jess Haines Bundle with this book (again) and the 3 books before that. And started that directly after finishing this - the joys of instand gratification through ebooks! ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

After the dramatic exit Shia made in DECEIVED BY THE OTHERS, reading the next installment became my #1 priority, I only wish that I could fly through all series the way I’m guzzling H&W INVESTIGATIONS! The heroine turns into a lean, mean, killing machine in this book, and I just loved watching her serve up a can of Others whoopass. The blurb outs Chaz as a douchebag, so I’m psyched that I no longer have to curb my seething hatred in order to avoid spoilers on that front, and can now full-out own my Team Royce status, doubly-so after that last scene—whoa Nelly! I’m a little nervous as to what the loss of the hunter’s belt, and the capitulation to Alec’s demands might mean for Waynest, but I have confidence in Jess Haines.

I’d suspected that we hadn’t seen the last of the White Hats, even after the falling out in TAKEN BY THE OTHERS, and although Jack isn’t exactly my favourite character, I still enjoyed getting to know him better. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don’t, so when confronted with the possibly of becoming a werewolf, Shia turns to this anti-Others group for help. Now, I use that term loosely because their idea of neighbourly love involves revenge and assisted suicide. That is until some interesting dets about their fearless leader surface, and the line between good & evil becomes blurred. I was taken aback by this latest newsflash because it was wholly unexpected, and quite the twist at that!

STALKING THE OTHERS was mostly about Waynest evening the score with the Sunstrikers, and I liked that the protagonist got the opportunity to show readers what she’s made of, from her nifty P.I. tricks to her ninja moves thanks to Isaac (the belt). One of my blogger peeps made a surprise cameo appearance as a werewolf, and I couldn’t get enough of Shia’s tooth and nail catfight with Kimberly, the homewrecker! I was happy with the way things went down between our girl and Dillon, but her encounter with Chaz was a bit of a letdown. The reasons behind it made sense in a big picture kind of way, however on the flip side I REALLY wanted Waynes to cut her ex-boyfriend’s nuts off, and shove them down his throat. Just saying.

Royce’s part in this story was minuscule, but the scenes he was in were real game changers. I keep expecting him to vamp out on Shia, yet in reality he’s turning out to be one of the most consistent characters in this series. His experience and insight are invaluable, and ended up pulling the heroine’s butt out of the fire. Again. That last chapter was a long time in coming, and thank goodness that there was a preview for the next installment in the final pages of this novel because I needed it as badly as my next breath after that firebomb. The title of book 5 is making me fidgety though, just when Waynest’s love life is beginning to even out, the author has to go and taunt us with FORSAKEN BY THE OTHERS. I’m scared.

For the most part, STALKING THE OTHERS was a 4-star read, but that ending earned an extra .5 from me. Wowzers! ( )
  RabidReads | Dec 7, 2014 |
Shiarra has a mission – to find the werewolf who infected her and kill him. And maybe her cheating ex-boyfriend Chaz, leader of the Sunstrikers as well. And who knows how many other Sunstrikers if she has the chance

She also has a time limit. One month. One month before she turns. One month before she becomes a werewolf. One month before she cannot use her belt – her magical hunter belt containing the spirit of Isaac, a skilled and dangerous anti-vampire hunter – to give her the edge she so desperately needs.

With the police hunting her and having fled Royce’s protection in favour of more direct hunting, Shiarra decides to align herself with the White Hats once again; the fanatical anti-Other hunters will probably kill her if she changes. But until then she can work with them to hunt down Chaz – who has gone to ground leaving almost no trace or trail.

Shiarra, all alone – having fled Royce and fighting against her boyfriend and the entire Sunstriker pack – where oh where can Shiarra turn?

Why to her friendly neighbourhood hate group of course!

No! I’ve said it before and I will say it again – if the White Hats are some vicious, violent hate group that seeks to kill all the Others regardless of whether they deserve it or not then they are not the people who should be on your rolodex under “people to ask for favours.” She has done this time and again, all the time emphasising their utter hatred of all things Other and how much they hate her contacts with them. It’s ridiculous when you consider how a few mean words about her link with a vampire from a werewolf were sufficient to send Shiarra into tears in the last book, but violent murdering hate groups? Yup, she’s fine with this. Why would they be more welcoming after she ran out on them the last time?

Add in to this is that Shiarra thinks she is turning into a werewolf. Last book she was making all kinds of preparations for this – but now she goes to the White Hats who discuss whether to kill her now and get it over with? She even lurches into an off-again-on-again possible wish for suicide to try and justify it – but it’s never maintained. She mentions that the White Hats will be able to do what has to be done when the time comes – a clear indication she expects them to kill her, but at no point does she express that being dead would be better than being a werewolf and it goes against how she acted in the last book seeking help and guidance with how to be a werewolf.

This gets more annoying when she has to kill an Other and gets ten kinds of angst out of it. That wasn’t part of the plan! Noooo! Well, you’re working with a hate group that wants to slaughter all of the Others and you are surprised that this comes with death? I’d support her angst and grief over killing someone if it weren’t for her being utterly incapable to follow the very obvious consequences to her decisions.

There’s also Shiarra’s ongoing loathing of all things Royce when, of all the people she has to deal with, Royce is the most reasonable, caring, accepting and helpful of anyone she has dealt with – and has proven this many times. Her blaming of Royce for even the most convoluted things became an almost running joke – I expected her to start cursing Royce every time she stubbed a toe or someone drank the last of the milk. Shiarra must go through life constantly shaking her fist at the sky screaming “daaaamn you Royce!!!”

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |

Vampires, werewolves, mages–the Others are very real, and wreaking havoc in Shiarra Waynest’s life. But now, she’s returning the favor…

Once, she was one of the good guys–or as close as a New York P.I. can get. Then Shiarra Waynest was drawn into the world of the Others. Every faction has its own loyalties and agenda. And Shia’s recent betrayal by her ex-boyfriend means that she may be on the verge of becoming a rogue werewolf at the next full moon.

Of course, with all the threats against her, Shia’s not sure she’ll live long enough to find out. The enigmatic vampire Royce wants her back in his clutches, as do two powerful werewolf packs, along with the police. Instead of going into hiding, Shia is enlisting the aid of her enchanted hunter’s belt and every dirty P.I. trick she knows. If she’s going down, she’ll take out as many of her enemies as she can–and hope that in the process, she keeps whatever humanity she has left…

Vampires, werewolves, mages - the Others are very real, and wreaking havoc in Shiarra Waynest's life. But now, she's retuming the favour...Once, she was one of the good guys - or as close as a New York P.I. can get. Then Shiarra Waynest was drawn into the world of the Others. Every faction has its own loyalties and agenda. And Shia's recent betrayal by her ex-boyfriend means that she may be on the verge of becoming a rogue werewolf at the next full moon...Of course, with all the threats against her, Shia's not sure she'll live long enough to find out. The enigmatic vampire Royce wants her back in his clutches, as do two powerful werewolf packs, along with the police. Instead of going into hiding, Shia is enlisting the aid of her enchanted hunter's belt and every dirty P.I. trick she knows. If she's going down, she'll take out as many of her enemies as she can - and hope that in the process, she keeps whatever humanity she has left...… (more)

Jess Haines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible