The Janus Affair: A Ministry of Peculiar…

The Janus Affair: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Pip Ballantine, Tee Morris

Member:MarciRae
Title:The Janus Affair: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel
Authors:Pip Ballantine
Other authors:Tee Morris
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

The Janus Affair by Pip Ballantine (2012)

A really well written book -- it took a few pages to get into the theme and setting, but it was a delightful read. I started off with this second book of the 'Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences' so perhaps would have been easier to dive right into had I read them in order. After less than 50 pages I promptly ordered the first book (Phoenix Rising) and hope there are more in the series.Very cool steampunk -- not overdone, but nearly always present. ( )
  skraft001 | Nov 20, 2013 |
Though Wellington Books and Eliza Braun are still ensconced in the ministry's archives, they both continue to investigate cases. A nefarious plot still carries on to bring down Director Sound and with him, their beloved Ministry. By continuing their investigations, Books and Eliza continue to disobey direct orders and are unknowingly placing the future of the ministry in jeopardy. They manage to continue clandestinely, until the kidnappings of suffragette's begin to occur.

Elisa is deeply committed to the cause quite naturally and when she notices that the kidnappings are being filed in the archives without so much as a cursory investigation, she dives in with both feet, once again dragging Wellington with her. When Eliza's first love Douglas Sheppard arrives in London with his mother, Mrs. Kate Sheppard, Eliza must protect the much needed leader of the suffragists and confront her feelings for Douglas. Wellington quite naturally becomes jealous and attempts to draw Eliza's attentions back to him at all costs. Eliza now must not only solve the case of the mysterious kidnappings, she has to decide where her heart truly belongs.

It is impossible to read this novel and not root for Wellington and Eliza. In The Janus Affair, we learn more about the apparently retiring archivist and it's fascinating. Clearly, he has unresolved issues regarding how he was raised and the fact that he hears his father's voice in his head continuously throughout the book, suggests that Wellington is not neurotypical. This is a rare thing in any genre, let alone steampunk.

Unlike Phoenix Rising, The Janus Affair is not an all White world. Agent Ihita Pujari is a good friend of Eliza's who also works at the ministry. When Ihita is first introduced, we are practically beat over the head with the fact that she is Indian, as though we could forget. There is a continual reference to her dark brown skin. Ballentine and Morris also use food as a way to add an authentic culture to her character, which was nice, as far too often characters of colour are divorced from their culture. I do however think that Ballentine and Morris took it a step too far to have her join Eliza and Douglas on a double date wearing a Sari in the middle of a cold England winter. In the end, Ihita is killed and does not really add much to the story itself. Her death serves more as inspiration for action than her character did while she was alive. The other characters of colour are twins - Chandi and Chandankika Culpepper, once again from India. Their motivation for action is "an antiquated religious belief." [pg329] We know that the Queen does not support the quest for the vote, but it is the Culpepper sisters who are backward. It sends the message that those who conform, as Ihita largely did are the acceptable people of colour.

The POV in this novel constantly shifts, which at times makes it a little difficult to follow. The writing also feels muddled and convoluted at times and leaves the reader wondering if everything is going to eventually going to make sense. I expected to zoom through this book as I had with Phoenix Rising, but that was not the case; there was simply far too much going on at any given time.

FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
I started to read this, via a digital advance readers copy, but the pagination of the ARC was all messed up. I found the "this is subject to change, blah blah" spiel that was supposed to show up at the top or bottom of each page REALLY DISTRACTING, because it often showed up in the middle of the page on my Sony Reader.

The little bit I got through was enough to convince me to pick up the book when it's released, though. So that's something!
  web_kunoichi | Jul 12, 2013 |
The authors either need better editors or they need vocabulary lessons. "Shear" is not the same as "sheer", "any" is not the same as "many" and "bobble" is definitely not the same as "bauble."

And oh, my dog, "a grizzly discovery" means you just found a bear. If you just found a body, that's more of a grisly discovery. ( )
  Jammies | Mar 31, 2013 |
My first venture into "Steampunk" and I liked it well enough to then buy the first book in the series (this is the second). I think I'll enjoy this series, so I really hope there will be more. Historical science fiction in an alternate reality? At any rate I thought it was quite good. ( )
  GTTexas | Feb 23, 2013 |

Pip Ballantineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morris, Teemain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Certainly no strangers to peculiar occurrences, agents Wellington Books and Eliza Braun are nonetheless stunned to observe a fellow passenger aboard Britain's latest hypersteam train suddenly vanish in a dazzling bolt of lightning. They soon discover this is not the only such disappearance...with each case going inexplicably unexamined by the Crown. The fate of England is once again in the hands of an ingenious archivist paired with a beautiful, fearless lady of adventure. And though their foe be fiendishly clever, so then is Mr. Books...and Miss Braun still has a number of useful and unusual devices hidden beneath her petticoats."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

37 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,339,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible