The Way of the Black Beast by Stuart Jaffe

The Way of the Black Beast

by Stuart Jaffe

389298,882 (3.61)1 / 2

The Way of the Black Beast (The Malja Chronicles #1) by Stuart Jaffe is an awesome, female kick ass lead character, fantasy/sci-fi novel that kept me intrigued, excited, and tensed up. I felt like I was doing the fighting the writing was so realistic. My muscles were so sore from tightening up! I love his books anyway and I loved this book. I got the audio narration so I could read and/or listen which is great and only a few dollars more but well worth it if I needed to do something I can continue the story. This has great characters, a wonderful plot, and great action, magic, fantasy, and more! I can't say enough about this book. I have book 2 read to go! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Apr 18, 2017 |
When you are twisted by two magicians, you learn how to fight without thinking.

Malja hates magicians. Tommy isn't one yet, and if she has anything to do with it, he never will be. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to interfere with the fate of another.
When she was a child, Malja was taken by twin magicians who trained her to kill. When it became obvious that she had no talent for magic, they tossed her out. Lucky for Malja, she wasn't killed as ordered. Now she travels the wasteland of her destroyed world seeking the twins with one aim, to kill them.

The black beast drives her with its rage to destroy whoever gets in her way. ( )
  Perrywilson | Nov 6, 2015 |
Disclaimer: This was read and reviewed at the request of the author, who provided me with a free digital copy of the book in order for me to do so.

What can I say about this book? In short.. It wasn't all that great. The plot was bland and repetitive, the bad guys were very stereotypical and weak, and the main character.. She wasn't interesting at all. No personality, nothing to make me either like or dislike her. The side kicks all felt very interchangeable, you couldn't really differentiate one character from another. They all felt the same; very one-note and boring.

As for the world building... It hit on one of my pet peeves. The story reads like it's set on earth.. But it's not earth, it's some other place. I can't even recall the name of this other planet/place, because it was only mentioned once. But for all intents and purposes, it was earth with a new name and a couple new words/terms thrown in along with a couple of invented creatures. This annoys the shit out of me. For the love of God, if you don't want to invest some real time and energy into world building, just call it earth. It was supposed to be post-apocolyptic anyway, why does it need to be PA on another planet? It just feels lazy.

Back on the plot.. Bland. Repetitive. Yes, I used these words before, but I feel like they needed to be used again. It was just the same thing over and over.. Tracking down the bad guys, a plot point hurdle to jump, an anti-climatic battle scene, rinse and repeat. And talk about anti-climatic.. The final battle? Really lame. Just saying.

The only reason this is getting two stars instead of one is that it was actually written pretty well, all things considered. Any time I read a self published author, I go into it expecting typos galore and awkward writing.. I didn't see much of that at all in here. There were a few typos here and there, and a couple of sections where the writing made me cringe, but overall it was much better than I expected. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
The Way of the Black Beast was rather interesting - I liked Malja, and despite all the violence, enjoyed the book quite a bit. I did, however, feel that at times the writing needed work. This definitely has potential, however, and I am looking forward to seeing more from this author. ( )
  madamediotte | Jul 20, 2012 |
The thing that intrigued me the most about this book was the idea of how magicians fit in to the world around them. It was a take on magic that I hadn't ever seen before and if there was one major flaw, it was that the uniqueness wasn't dealt with in a more in-depth way. Perhaps in later installments we can see more of the history of this place and how these people fit in.

Otherwise, the main characters are a good balance of capable and flawed, each has their own personality and the interactions are easily believable because of it. The villains were a little soft though. I'm not sure that I really believed that they were villains so much as that the main character, Malja, had past history with them that pushed her into taking certain actions that she maybe wouldn't have made without their being a part of her past. Revenge pushes at her in these pages, I'm just not sure that the amount is equal to the wickedness of the people it is aimed toward.

Overall, this was a fun read with fascinating imagery and concepts that I am eager to read more about. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys letting their imagination wander into new worlds, where it can be planted and left to grow a while. I am still thinking back on some of the descriptions and wondering what could have been or what more might come.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. I also give bonus points for Text To Speech enabling on Kindle format.... but that also wasn't a factor in the above review. ( )
  mirrani | Feb 17, 2012 |
For Glory and Gabe
Malja had followed the killer for hours.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Stuart Jaffe's book The Way of the Black Beast was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Stuart Jaffe is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible