No Trace by Barry Maitland

At their best, such as 'Silvermeadow' they demonstrated watertight plotting, finely-crafted characters and a magnetic storyline. This volume, published some ten years ago, had all those traits … except the plotting characters storyline.

What a falling off was there! His widow, Gertrude, copping off with his brother, Claudius, could not have come as a greater disappointment to the ghost of Hamlet's father than this weak melange of mindless blether came to me. That's three quid I'll never get back! ( )
  Eyejaybee | Sep 24, 2015 |
Well! Someone sold me the dummy there! It is quite some time since I last read one of Barry Maitland's 'Brock and Kolla' novels, and I am now wishing that I had left it even longer. At their best such as 'Silvermeadow' they demonstrated watertight plotting, finely-crafted characters and a magnetic storyline. This volume, published some ten years ago, had all those traits … except the plotting characters storyline.

Eyejaybee | Feb 26, 2015 |
an interesting book that is easy to read and gets you involved in the story.
The story is told from the point of view of a detective involved in the case of a mising little girl - this is not the main detective although in the end she does have a key role in solving the mystery. It was quite nice to have things happening that she was unaware of and was simply being updated on at meetings (things she did not need to know as she was not the lead detective).
The story was well plotted and I did get involved with the character. It was also interesting that when I thought the story was revolving arround modern art the main character also complained of this feeling of being sucked into that world.#
would reccomend this to suspence and litery novel readers. ( )
  jessicariddoch | Jun 7, 2013 |
Another great Brock and Kolla book. Excellent plot, unexpected ending and good characters. Highly recommend this author. ( )
  birdsam0307 | Jul 30, 2008 |
In this work Maitland turns his focus on an artistic community where one of the leading artists, Gabriel Rudd, has won England’s most controversial art awards, the Turner Prize, with a painting he completed after the death of his wife. Now his daughter has disappeared, and two other young girls have also gone missing at the same time. Rudd begins to work on an art installation based on the grief he is experiencing for his lost daughter Tracey.

Within a disturbingly unconventional artists' neighbourhood in London, Detective Sergeant Kathy Kolla and Detective Inspector David Brock engage in their most passionate case yet. They need to find six-year-old Tracey Rudd. Tracey is the third child to be abducted in similar circumstances over the past few weeks. Her father, Gabriel, is an infamous artist known best for a work called 'Dead Puppies', and her mother, Jane, committed suicide five years earlier. Jane's parents have accused the self-absorbed Gabriel of neglecting Tracey with much the same abandon as he neglected his wife. Gabriel uses his daughter's disappearance as artistic inspiration to embark on a major controversial artwork - one painting for each day that brings no trace of Tracey. In the meantime, Brock and Kolla's investigations unearth the abductors of the first two girls, but there are still no leads to Tracey. These kidnappers, however, are connected to one of the artists in the neighbourhood, and in turn, everyone in the community falls under suspicion with grotesque consequences. As Kathy tries desperately to understand what motivates Gabriel, Brock's attention is turned necessarily to a new police enquiry, one that targets him. ( )
  smik | Jul 27, 2007 |

Cited as one of the top ten crime novels of 2006 (Kirkus Reviews), No Trace is the finest novel yet by one of best crime novelists of our time.
In a London neighborhood known for its artists and bohemian style, six year old Tracey Rudd is abducted from her home without any warning, or sign of violence. She is the third child abucted under similar circumstances in recent weeks. But this case is different. She is the daughter of notorious contemporary artist Gabriel Rudd, best known for the grotesque "Dead Puppies," a work centered around his wife's suicide five years earlier. While Rudd exploits Tracey's abduction as an inspiration for a major new work in his upcoming exhibit, D.C.I. David Brock and Detective Sergeant Kathy Kolla hunt for the missing girls' kidnapper, who is suspiciously connected to the eccentric community of artists, dealers, and collectors in the neighborhood.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:44 -0400)

In a London neighborhood known for its artists and bohemian style, six year old Tracey Rudd is abducted from her home without any warning, or sign of violence. She is the third child abucted under similar circumstances in recent weeks. But this case is different. She is the daughter of notorious contemporary artist Gabriel Rudd, best known for the grotesque "Dead Puppies," a work centered around his wife's suicide five years earlier. While Rudd exploits Tracey's abduction as an inspiration for a major new work in his upcoming exhibit, D.C.I. David Brock and Detective Sergeant Kathy Kolla hunt for the missing girls' kidnapper, who is suspiciously connected to the eccentric community of artists, dealers, and collectors in the neighborhood.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,943,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible