The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I by…

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I

by Arthur Conan Doyle

I am absolutely consumed by the Sherlock Holmes stories. They are constant companions I have returned to again and again throughout my life. So why not a five-star review? I deducted a star because this edition by Barnes and Noble is embarrassing. The design is fine, the copyediting is fine, but the guy they chose to write the introduction and provide notes is, well, a nobody in the incredibly erudite world of Sherlock Holmes enthusiasts. His credentials are not up to the standards I think a good commissioning editor would demand for someone providing contextual notes, the notes themselves are often inane. Expect a little more of your reader instead of drawing her out of the story by asterisking the phrase "making love" to tell me that the term, back then, in fact did not mean the act of sex but instead the act of wooing. Got it. Knew that. Even if I didn't, the context alone told me. The art of good annotation is to be unobtrusive and yet enlightening. I feel this guy was neither. I got definitions for commonplace words. I got admonishments for Doyle's minor mistakes in history or music (and I actually disagree with one of his criticisms about a Chopin piece, but I digress). I am sure the guy was trying to earn his keep by footnoting what he could, but I found the practice incredibly distracting, so I would recommend another edition. And now I am officially a crank. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
Two volume collection with all his wonderful books and stories. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
The world’s most revered and famous fictional detective first appeared from the pen of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle almost a 130 years ago, but the author did not finish with his greatest creation until almost 40 years later even after unsuccessfully killing him off. In this first volume of all the collected works that feature Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. John Watson, the reader first meets the great detective and his friend through two short novellas, 23 short stories, and the best-known and greatest case the pair ever faced.

The two-volume collection of the original works of Conan Doyle in the American publication order, begins with the first two Holmes novelettes Study in Scarlett and The Sign of Four which are very well written stories that both introduce the main character Holmes, but also through the eyes of his friend Watson. The next 23 short stories then show the genius and resource of the London-based detective and throughout we are given references to cases we have yet to personally read. Of the those short stories I found six the best of the bunch: “A Scandal in Bohemia”, “The Five Orange Pips”, “The Man with the Twisted Lip”, “Silver Blaze”, “The Musgrave Ritual, and “The Naval Treaty”.

This volume ends with the most famous and definitely the best Sherlock Holmes story of them all, The Hound of the Baskervilles. Even though there have been numerous adaptations of this most famous novel, upon reading it one senses the place on edge, nature seeming on the verge of overpowering man, and the sounds and shadows of mysterious beings across the moor. It was no small fact that nine years after killing off Holmes, Conan Doyle wrote a novel that no only brought make his character but wrote it in such a way that made people engage with both of the main characters instantly.

There seem to be several missteps, namely “The Final Problem” which seems more to do about setting up the final struggle as is to learn more about Professor Moriarty and see the net Holmes had cast instead of just being told. There are just as many of the other short stories that are not the best than there are very good if not great. Sometimes the eye is in the beholder, but others it is not.

Upon finishing this first volume, I enjoyed reading these 26 stories. As a first time reader of Conan Doyle it was fascinating to see how more human Sherlock seems to slowly become over the course of the stories with him as their focus. In the end I can’t stress enough how you should get this book. ( )
  mattries37315 | Nov 27, 2015 |
Wow! I cannot believe what I have been missing by waiting so long before picking up this book to consume? A most excellent read indeed! ( )
  virg144 | Mar 27, 2014 |
The first half of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's complete output of fiction starring his famous consulting detective, Sherlock Holmes. I was impelled to finally read these after seeing the excellent BBC series, "Sherlock", set in modern London. There are a few novellas and many stories here, concluding with "The Hound of the Baskervilles". I vaguely remember the Basil Rathbone movies. This Sherlock is more intense and mercurial, but kindly disposed toward those who come to him for help. He used cocaine, but only when he was between cases and overcome with ennui. So far, there is no "Watson; the needle!" or "Elementary, my dear Watson," although he comes close. Holmes is almost mystical in his observational and analytical skills, although his deductions always seem...uh, elementary when he explains them.

He is very strong for his slender build, and a boxer of quite some skill, and a fencer, although these talents are not used so far. Professor Moriarty, his arch-nemesis appears in "The Final Problem", which apparently writes finis to both Holmes and Moriarty. Apparently Doyle rethought his disposing of his greatest creation, for there is a second Holmes volume of equal length to this one's 650 pages. Whether Moriarty will reappear is another question. I enjoyed all of Holmes' cases, but the one which moved me the most was "The Yellow Face", which in a very compelling fashion showed us the (then) unusually enlightened attitudes of Holmes and Watson, and by extension Arthur Conan Doyle, about interracial relations. ( )
  burnit99 | Sep 9, 2013 |

Contains

A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Sign Of The Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

A Scandal in Bohemia by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Red-Headed League [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

A Case of Identity [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Boscombe Valley Mystery (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #4) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Case of the Five Orange Pips by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Speckled Band (Travelman Crime) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #9) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Copper Beeches by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Man with the Twisted Lip: Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Silver Blaze by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Yellow Face by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #3) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Gloria Scott by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Sherlock Holmes - The Musgrave Ritual by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Reigate Squire (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #6) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Cardboard Box by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Crooked Man (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #7) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Resident Patient (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #8) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #9) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Naval Treaty by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Final Problem: Another Case for Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

I cinque misteri di Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual (indirect)

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Has the adaptation

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set or different volumes of the same set.

This, volume 1 of the Barnes and Noble Classics set, contains:
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • The Sign of Four
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
Its work-to-work relationships also indicate this information.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics:
  • New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars
  • Biographies of the authors
  • Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events
  • Footnotes and endnotes
  • Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work
  • Comments by other famous authors
  • Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations
  • Bibliographies for further reading
  • Indices and Glossaries, when appropriate

The Complete Sherlock Holmes comprises four novels and fifty-six short stories revolving around the world’s most popular and influential fictional detective—the eccentric, arrogant, and ingenious Sherlock Holmes. He and his trusted friend, Dr. Watson, step from Holmes’s comfortable quarters at 221b Baker Street into the swirling fog of Victorian London to exercise that unique combination of detailed observation, vast knowledge, and brilliant deduction. Inevitably, Holmes rescues the innocent, confounds the guilty, and solves the most perplexing puzzles known to literature.

Volume I of The Complete Sherlock Holmes starts with Holmes’s first appearance, A Study in Scarlet, a chilling murder novel complete with bloodstained walls and cryptic clues, followed by the baffling The Sign of Four, which introduces Holmes’s cocaine problem and Watson’s future wife. The story collections The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes feature such renowned tales as “A Scandal in Bohemia,” “The Red-Headed League,” and “The Musgrave Ritual.”

Tired of writing stories about Holmes, his creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, killed him off at the end of “The Final Problem,” the last tale in The Memoirs. But the public outcry was so great that eight years later he published the masterful The Hound of the Baskervilles, which supposedly takes place before Holmes’s death.

The separate Volume II of The Complete Sherlock Holmes collects the remaining accounts of Holmes’s exploits, including “The Adventure of the Empty House,” which reveals the elaborate circumstances behind Holmes’s literary resurrection.

• New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars
  • Biographies of the authors
  • Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events
  • Footnotes and endnotes
  • Comments by other famous authors
  • Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations
  • Bibliographies for further reading
  • Indices & Glossaries, when appropriateAll editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of historical interest. Barnes & Noble Classics pulls together a constellation of influences—biographical, historical, and literary—to enrich each reader's understanding of these enduring works.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes comprises four novels and fifty-six short stories revolving around the world's most popular and influential fictional detective—the eccentric, arrogant, and ingenious Sherlock Holmes. He and his trusted friend, Dr. Watson, step from Holmes's comfortable quarters at 221b Baker Street into the swirling fog of Victorian London to exercise that unique combination of detailed observation, vast knowledge, and brilliant deduction. Inevitably, Holmes rescues the innocent, confounds the guilty, and solves the most perplexing puzzles known to literature. Volume I of The Complete Sherlock Holmes starts with Holmes's first appearance, A Study in Scarlet, a chilling murder novel complete with bloodstained walls and cryptic clues, followed by the baffling The Sign of Four, which introduces Holmes's cocaine problem and Watson's future wife. The story collections The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes feature such renowned tales as “A Scandal in Bohemia, “The Red-Headed League, and “The Musgrave Ritual. Tired of writing stories about Holmes, his creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, killed him off at the end of “The Final Problem, the last tale in The Memoirs. But the public outcry was so great that eight years later he published the masterful The Hound of the Baskervilles, which supposedly takes place before Holmes's death. The separate Volume II of The Complete Sherlock Holmes collects the remaining accounts of Holmes's exploits, including “The Adventure of the Empty House, which reveals the elaborate circumstances behind Holmes's literary resurrection. Kyle Freeman, a Sherlock Holmes enthusiast for many years, earned two graduate degrees in English literature from Columbia University, where his major was twentieth-century British literature.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,910,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible