My Sister's Hand in Mine: The Collected…

My Sister's Hand in Mine: The Collected Works of Jane Bowles

by Jane Bowles

In Youth Is Pleasure & I Left My Grandfather's House by Denton Welch (michaeljohn)
    michaeljohn: Admittedly, the prose styles couldn’t be more different, but both works show queer authors at midcentury tentatively exploring their sexuality. Neither author ever explicitly names the desires they are writing about. As a reader you aren’t sure how much of this sideways approach is due to the restrictive morals and censorship of the time and how much is a genuine confusion about the urges the writers are depicting.… (more)
    Nightwood by Djuna Barnes (unabridgedchick)
    unabridgedchick: Same dark sort of feel!

What a strange story, what a strange strange story. Strangely brilliant. ( )
  David_Cain | Nov 20, 2011 |
"The moment when they might have felt tenderness had passed, and secretly they both rejoiced"

A novel, a play, and a handful of short stories. So funny, so sad. I really loved her novel, which I reviewed separately on here. Her stories were good too. I really liked "Going to Massachusetts" and "A Stick of Green Candy". I wasn't crazy about the play, though it was pretty good.I just read some of the other reviews on here and this description made me laugh: 'There are a lot of cases when the characters say "yes" when you expect them to say "no way in hell!"' ( )
1 vote JimmyChanga | Jul 13, 2010 |
One-sentence summary: Twisted takes on 1940s and 1950s society.
Why did you get this book?: It came as a loan from a very good friend with excellent taste in literature.
Do you like the cover?: Yes, it is quite lovely.
Did you enjoy the book?: Maybe? I couldn't stand reading her yet I couldn't stop. The writing is amazing: her characters are fascinating and repulsive; at times, I felt sympathetic toward them, even when they said or did horrifying things. At times I would say I hated this book, and then rave about it for ten minutes. I'm still not sure if I 'enjoyed' it, but I certainly was challenged.

I was reminded a bit of Doris Lessing and Djuna Barnes. ( )
1 vote unabridgedchick | Mar 31, 2009 |

Though she wrote only one novella, one short play, and fewer than a dozen short stories over a roughly twenty-year span from the early 1940s to the mid-1960s, Jane Bowles has long been regarded by critics as one of the premier stylists of her generation. Enlivened at unexpected moments by sexual exploration, mysticism, and flashes of wit alternately dry and hilarious, her prose is spare and honed, her stories filled with subtly sly characterizations of men and, mostly, women, dissatisfied not so much with the downward spiral of their fortunes as with the hollowness of their neat little lives. Whether focused on the separate emergences of Miss Goering and Mrs. Copperfield from their affluent, airless lives in New York and Panama into a less defined but intense sexual and social maelstrom in the novella Two Serious Ladies, or on the doomed efforts of the neighbors Mr. Drake and Mrs. Perry to form a connection out of their very different loneliness in "Plain Pleasures," or on the bittersweet cultural collision of an American wife and a peasant woman in Morocco in "Everything Is Nice," Jane Bowles creates whole worlds out of the unexpressed longings of individuals, adrift in their own lives, whether residing in their childhood homes or in faraway lands that are somehow both stranger and more familiar than what they left behind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:37 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible